Comments

26 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi Bob! 

Luminar 4 doesn't officially support Affinity, but you can try following the steps outlined by our customer here:
    http://prntscr.com/tk7lsq 

Comment actions Permalink
    Eric Adauto

It was working and now it is not, after 4.3 upgrade is not working.. Hope this statement of not officially supported doesn't mean they will not fix it soon. If will not be fixed give an option to downgrade to 4.2 urgently

Eric Adauto

I just ran as administrator, you need to press shift and then right click on the icon of luminar and it shows run as administrator. Then goto file install plugins, if installed uninstall and close, reboot and then do the same and install. It worked for me

Bob Shrader

Helena-Carter

Thank you for the updated information and I am glad to know the team is working toward implementing the solution to Luminar SNAFUs in Affinity Photo.

On the latest mac OS, I am using Affinity Photo 1.8.4.183 Beta, the version Serif recommends instead of the version available in the app store. When this beta was introduced, the plugin for another external began to work in Affinity Photo. However, the Luminar plugin still does not work in Affinity Photo, despite following your instructions above.

Uwe Lindner

This works perfectly for Windows, Luminar 4.3, and Affinity 1.8.3 and 1.8.4:

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/affinity-photo-and-luminar-4-3/15684

Bob Shrader

Helga, your link does not provide the instructions on how to do this.

Stephen Hilton

Thanks for the tip.  I had the same problem.  The above fixed it but I found that I didn't have to reboot inbetween - just uninstall followed immediately by install did the trick :)

Kate Williams

Hi guys, 

Thanks for sharing your feedback about this tip. Glad to know it helped! 

@Bob,

Please find the instructions below:

1. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    2. Click File > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    4. Reboot your PC.
    5. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    6. Click File > Install Plugins.
    7. Click Install next to Photoshop.

Bob Shrader

It appears these instructions are for Windows not for the mac OS.

Helena Carter

Bob Shrader

Please note that due to some peculiarities with Photoshop plugin, it needs to be updated separately after you update Luminar. Our team is currently looking for a way to make the plugin update automatically along with the update of Luminar. We hope to implement this in the future.

In the meantime, to update your Luminar 4 plugin please perform the following:

1. Launch Luminar 4.
    2. In the top menu click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    4. Reboot your Mac and launch Luminar 4.
    5. Click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    6. Click Install next to Photoshop.

You may be prompted to enter your Mac user password at some point, please do so.

Kate Williams

Hi Bob, 

Please note that Luminar is not compatible with Affinity Photo and the interactions of these two apps are not documented. 

According to my experience, some of the artists were able to use Luminar as a plugin on Windows, but the integration on Mac was never so smooth. Since Luminar does not officially support Affinity, it was not tested with this app and, therefore, as much as I'd love to, I cannot guarantee that this update will work with as a plugin in Affinity. 

We do have a number of requests with regard to the implementation of these apps' compatibility, though, so maybe we'll do so in the future and will share some good news with you. Hope for your understanding. 

There's a slight chance the following may help: 

1. Launch Luminar 4.
    2. In the top menu click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    4. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software/Luminar4/Plug-Ins/  and delete the contents of this folder manually. 
    5. Navigate to wherever you're storing Luminar .plugin file in the Affinity bundle and delete it. 
    6. Reboot your Mac and launch Luminar 4.
    7. Click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    8. Click Install next to Photoshop.
    9. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software/Luminar4/Plug-Ins/ and retrieve the updated .plugin file from this folder. 
    10. Reconnect Luminar and Affinity with the help of this .plugin file. 

Douwe de Vries

Affinity connection. Sorry for my englisch. Affinity doesn't work with 4.3 as plugin. I have 4.2 offline installed on my old laptop as trial. Next, I have copied the directory Programm/skylum/luminar 4 from my laptop to my standard computer with a other directory name. Next, Affinity plugin connected to that luminar 4 (4.2) and it will start as 4.3! 

Anastasia Davis

Hi Douwe! Have you tried the solution my colleague mentioned above? This way, the new updated plugin will be in the right directory.

Douwe de Vries

Hello Anastasia (beautifull name!),

I have no software of Adobe. So there is nothing to unstall. Luminar as standalone work fine, sometime slow but most of the time it's alright. As plugin for Affinity is my solution the only way till now to get the plugin working in my case. 

Bob Shrader

The instructions Kate posted above did not work for me, unfortunately. Looking forward to the time when Luminar 4 will run as a plugin in Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

Austin Miller

Hi all! We will do our best to implement the plugin for Affinity in the nearest future!

Douwe de Vries

Uwe Lindner, I tried and its oke. Simple but perfect result!

Thanks

Bob Shrader

Uwe Lindner Here in the Luminar for Mac community we can only envy your ability to use the L4 plugin in Windows.😥

Uwe Lindner

Bob Shrader I'm a Windows user and saw that some of the questions here are about Windows integration as well. And I know from a Mac user that the integration of Luminar as a plugin for Affinity can be done in almost excatly the same way as in Windows. I even learned how to integrate Luminar to Affinity as a plugin in the filter section from this Mac user.
    Bob Shrader

Uwe Lindner Thanks a lot. I think the integration of plugins on the Mac side relates to the version of the operating system, Affinity Photo and Luminar. The latest Topaz Studio plugins did not work in the Mac version of AfPh until there was some collaboration between Serif and Topaz. On the other hand, in the latest beta release of AfPh, the Exposure X5 plugin started to work with no changes by Exposure Software. So, those of us running the latest version of the macOS are hoping another change by Skylum or Serif will make the Luminar 4 plugin available soon.

Roberto Picó Pastor

Luminar 4.3 plugin solution, Affinity Photo 1.8.5

https://youtu.be/QuCBxn5NG1Q

Daniel Vesely

Thanks a lot Roberto - thats worked for me - great job 

Bob Shrader

The video is for Windows. For macOS Catalina, a similar procedure can be used to INSTALL Luminar 4.3 as a plugin. However, when attempting to RUN the plugin, Luminar 4.3 STALLS. I have tried every trick I could find. But nothing works.

Elena Blum

Hi Bob,

Please contact our support team and we will do our best to assist you https://skylum.com/support

Andreas Müller

Hi @all,

is there any update for that issue? I was switching from Windows (where everything worked like expect after some updates) to macOS and Luminar 4 as plugin won't open. 

I'm using Big Sur and the latest versions of Luminar and AP.

Krzysztof Gębal
    Solution by Uwe Lindner works ok with me.
    In case your Tools are not docked the Luminar is opening in the background (needs to press ctr+TAB to switch to it). Once Tools are docked - no problems.

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/affinity-photo-and-luminar-4-3/15684

Please sign in to leave a comment.