luminar4.3 hangs at splash screen after Update

Answered

Comments

12 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

Hi Michael, please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you’ve been facing with the last update. We're currently investigating this issue and hope to be able to provide a definite solution soon.

It would help us a lot if you could provide us with event logs.

To collect them,

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your support request at skylum.com/support

Besides, please send us logs from the following folder too:

Press the Windows logo key + R.
    Type %appdata%\Luminar 4\mipl\Logs in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.

Thank you in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Nigel Law

This happened on one of my machines, but not the other (for whatever reason).

I could not find ANY errors in the Event Viewer for 'Application Error' or '.NET Runtime'.  However, I DID find a number for  ESENT (svchost (18664,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.).

So I Googled for TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023, and found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgkjYW09ng0.

in short, you create a new folder tree TileDataLayer\Database in C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local (if it doesn't already exist).

That's all - Luminar4.3 now works - not even a re-boot required.

Good luck!

Helga Rowles

Hi Nigel - wow, thank you! It is a really valuable insight. We will look into it asap.

Thanks so much for your contribution and have a great weekend!

EM

Thanks Nigel!

It works for me. Created the folders and did a fresh installation with 4.3 offline installer. Perfect!

Marco Callegari

As I stated in another thread, I was able to starting Luminar only as Administrator.
    Doing the "folder creation" as told by Nigel, let me start the app as user.
    Thanks!

Marco Callegari

mmm, I noticed a thing... maybe it's a useless clue...
    Is it possible that TileDataLayer is something related to the windows start menu tiles?
    I had Luminar pinned in a tile. Maybe that's the reason of the bug?

Also, as stated here https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2136456-where-is-windows-10-tile-database-located-in-2018 TileDataLayer is deprecated in favour of TileStore.

Maybe Luminar is using somewhere that feature removed since win build 1709?

EM

The folder trick seems to be a one day solution. I generated these folders yesterday and yesterday Luminar 4.3 started normal. Today, oe day later Luminar 4.3 hangs again on splash screen,

I give up and will install Luminar 4.2 :(

Marco Callegari

less than a day.. mine is hanging again...

Nigel Law

Checking just now I agree with Marco and EM. It no longer works for me on the machine I fixed.  Looking at the differences between my 2 machines

Nigel Law

The first thing I found is that deleting the contents of C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database gets Luminar4.3 starting again. And looking at the time stamps, these files appear to have been put there by Luminar4.3.  

But there were NO errors in the Event log this time.

And the other piece of bad news is that on my other machine (where it starts every time) there is NO TileDataLayer\Database. And also no errors in the Event Viewer (but I didn't expect any). 

Yet it starts.

Versions of Windows are the same, but radically different hardware (Core i7 vs Core i9, nVidia GTX1050 vs RTX2080, etc).

Given that quite a few seem to be suffering from this, I am a bit surprised that the software got out of QA.

Nigel

EM

Thanks. But I'm done.

Skylum has to do its homework. I'ts not our task, to debug false updates :(

Btw., Skylum works hard, to annoy the rest of her optimistic costumers.  

After 4 years I will no longer trust in Skylums skills to deliver the bunch of over years promised features. Neither I trust Skylum to provide working updates.

EM

Fabio Porta

Thanks Nigel! Mine is working now!

My config, maybe it helps to debug: Windows 10 Home 2004 (with all the latest updates), Ryzen 5 3600X, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1070 8GB

Please sign in to leave a comment.