Luminar 4.3 — Search photos, share masterpieces

Pinned Featured

Comments

28 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone - If you're having trouble updating, please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can investigate your particular case. Thank you!

Comment actions Permalink
    Erwin Kargl

Nice, BUT it´s still not possible for me to launch Luminar 4.3 ... like mentioned in other threads.

Erwin

Steve Ramsey

I can't open Luminar following the newest update. What's the issue??

David Hape

Damn frustrating!!!! I can only open Luminar as an administrator. Very disappointed with Luminar and Skylum right now. Have photos for a job. All I did was foolishly upgrade. What was I thinking?

M L

After the first comments I read about the 4.3 update, I feared the worst, but the update was installed within minutes. When starting it, a message appeared that the database had to be migrated and after a few seconds Luminar opened. So far so good.

My first impressions:

• The crop tool is really fast and snappy. Like it.
    • I really hoped the export time drastically improves, but for a test picture of my Canon 5D Mark IV it were still 19s which is too long if doing multiple edits after each other. Nevertheless I think it is around 1/3 faster then before.
    • I really hoped switching through the photos will now be possible within Luminar...it still takes too long to load the images in a sharp manner. If you are in edit mode of a photo and select another one it is immediatly sharp. But if you then select another picture it still needs around 5-6s for me to get sharp and edit sliders switching to active. The seconds thing would even be okay for me, but when digging through the pictures I want to be able to have a look at one after the other and then perhaps stop after 8 pictures to do an edit. The loading times till editing is available nevertheless also improved by some seconds which is nice.
    • In the search it is written that I can search by date. If I type the date in German format nothing is found. Even other date formats have not worked so far...so it only seems to work for names. For me the search is only a little improvement which I probably won't use that much.
    • Resetting the adjustments is fast
    • I like the new mask workflow with showing the red transparent areas of the mask.
    • I like that the object corrections can now be activated after adding edit layers. Seems to work fine (but still doesn't work in combination with the erase tool...so if you missed it before doing a lot of erase work you have to do it again)
    • Erase tool is still way to slow...time till it can be used, time till the processing is finished. Compared to LR its horrible slow.
    • Some translations still missing "Creating new layer..." is shown in German version

Conclusion: Unfortunately the performance improvements are less than expected, but still noticeable. Compared to LR editing sessions with a bigger number of photos will still take way more time, but less time then with 4.2 I have the feeling it is moving in the right direction, but there is still some stuff to do for photographers with a lot of photos/edits. Thanks anyways, and keep up the work. I really hope that the next release will be soon and bring more improvements and fixes again.

Bill Billick

Luminar 4.2 previously worked fine, but after the 4.3 update it fails to start.  Now it just hangs on its opening screen and refuses to load.

M L

And there were a lot of comments like "We're working around the clock to make the installation experience smoother, so hopefully, you won't face the same issue when 4.3.0 is rolled out." or that they are postponing the update to deliver the right quality. How can this pass QA again - so many issues? I seem to be one of the few lucky ones without update issues.

Nik Repik

Launched and worked fine for while, But now a photo I was working on before the update is just completely unusable. Just want to bring it to your attention. I love the 500px integration though :)

Martin Jaiser

Good to see the update - thank you!

- the new search tool is... OK as a first step - still no catchwords, no search for camera or lens... and no AI search for pictures

- prelook on Luminar looks is nice, speeds up workflow

- best is the new marking for masking tool - great, improves speed a lot

- some performance boost when using the strip and opening RAWs the first time

BUT

- still no changes if loading images into folders while the folders are open - need to close and start Luminar again if you want to see all images

- terrific slow export algorithm for JPEG, no change there

- haven't tried this yet, but I would be surprised if the issue with external USB drives (e.g. card reader) would be solved. But that problem always crashes my entire Mac, and I do not want to do this quite often.

After the big step from Luminar 4.1 to 4.2 this is a bit disappointing - I would call it 4.2.1...

Erik van der Kamp

Just installed Luminar 4.3 and immediately tested whether the problem of the disappearing EXIF ​​data has been solved. And luckily it is. Thank you for solving this problem. This makes Luminar an even nicer program for me and in Luminar I no longer use it as a plug-in in Photoshop, but becomes my default photo editing program.

Erik van der Kamp

www.kampie.info

Stefan Puffer

I noticed some performance increases but software is still buggy when working with single images like I do.  First the export wouldn't work at all and then after reloading the image and editing it again it worked but like in 4.2 as soon as the image is exported it's removed from Luminar.  Doesn't show up in the catalog and is removed from the editing window.  At this point I'm going to give up on Skylum.  No, I'm not going to contact support or waste anymore time on this software.  I'm just going to cut my losses and move on.  Thanks for the effort though and good luck. 

Bill Billick

Tried re-installing 4.3 again.  Disabled Windows Defender.  Can't disable Bitdefender without uninstalling it.  Still no luck -- 4.3 still hangs when it tries to load.  4.2 worked fine for me.  4.3 doesn't work at all.  Running Windows 10 64-bit with all of the latest security patches installed.

Bill Billick

Finally got 4.3 to launch.  Enabled internet access for Luminar in Bitdefender.  Then right-clicked on desktop icon properties -- and enabled all security permissions for all users.  After that was done, right-clicking "run as administrator" on the desktop icon finally opened 4.3.  Seems very buggy to have to do all of that to launch 4.3.  None of this was needed for 4.2.

Kate Williams

Hi guys, 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new update and sorry for any inconvenience you're experiencing after installing it. 

Nik Repik,

Please reach our team at https://skylum.com/support and provide us with the screenshot of your edits from the History tab:  https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/history Also, please submit an original file. You can use a free service WeTransfer to do so: https://wetransfer.com/  (select 'share as a link' option).

Martin Jaiser, we hope to address the export speed specifically in the following updates. If you add the image to the folder, it should appear ~after 30 seconds, that's the frequency with which the folder monitor is updated. If that's not the case for you, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support

Bill Billick, I'm glad to see that you were able to launch the software and I can't but agree that one doesn't have to go through all these steps in our to launch the update. We are currently looking for the root of the issue in order to fix it. 

Stefan Puffer, it would really help us a lot if you could provide us with the screen recording of your workflow so that we could diagnose and troubleshoot the issue. However, I do understand that it make take some extra time. Thus, if you'd rather skip these steps and go for a refund, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support. Please make sure to include the link to this thread into your request. 

Guy M

Very disappointed, again.

Reported to support months ago that both Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 crash on opening on Windows. Was promised a fix in 4.3. Still crashes. No update for Luminar 3.

What am I to do now? I still have no access to products I paid for.

Lenore Denbin

I am so nervous to update as early in going from L 2018 to L 3 I lost a bunch of images. I struggle with changing technology especially when I begin to feel comfortable using something and then there's a software “update.” So if I avoid the update to 4.3 will I be ok for awhile as far as usage goes?

Kate Williams

Hi Guy,

I am sorry for the fact that you did not get a prompt solution.  Please note that we've added an enhanced logging to 4.3.0 that should help us further investigate the crash you were facing (ntdll).

Therefore, we'd appreciate it if you could collect some additional info now that you have 4.3.0. We'll forward it to our tech department for further investigation. 

Please reply to our email sent to you via support@skylum.com and kindly do the following: 

1. Please provide us with logs from the following folder:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type %appdata%\Luminar 4\mipl\Logs in the dialog box that opens and press Enter on your keyboard.

2. Please also perform the following:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4zp53c0fj7cjp5/ViewHID%20%28new%29.exe?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Send us a screenshot of the window that opens. If you see HID1 and HID2 codes, please copy them from the application's window and send them to us as well.

3. Next, could you please send us event logs:

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to this email.

A video tutorial on how to collect logs: https://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Please perform the same procedure for Luminar 3 as well. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Comment change t-on la grille 3 tiers en point même avec le guise d'utilisation, je ne comprends pas?

A quand le guide en français?

Quand pourront avoir l'espoir de travailler sur 2 écrans, question posée depuis des année ( luminar 2018)

Cordialement

Helga Egilsdottir

Hello Martial Fournier,

Please, note that in 4.3.0 version it is possible to use only rule of thirds grid. We are going to introduce our manual in more languages including French very soon. Please, stay tuned.
    As for the 2 screens support, this is definitely something we have in our backlog of requested feature. Of course, we would be happy to implement all the suggestions however it sometimes takes more time than we expect.

Josu Ruiz de larrea

I updated luminar 4 to the last version, I use it as plugin in photoshop and when I finish editing, give it to accept and returning to photoshop, it stays processing, but it doesn't come back, it stays blocked. I tried to reinstall the program 3 times and still the same, when I give it to accept, it stays hung the program.

Could I go back to the previous version 4.2?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Josu,

Please note that due to some peculiarities with Photoshop plugin, it needs to be updated separately after you update Luminar. Our team is currently looking for a way to make the plugin update automatically along with the update of Luminar. We hope to implement this in the future.

In the meantime, to update your Luminar 4 plugin please perform the following:

On Mac:

• Launch Luminar 4.
    • In the top menu click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    • Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    • Reboot your Mac and launch Luminar 4.
    • Click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    • Click Install next to Photoshop.

You may be prompted to enter your Mac user password at some point, please do so.

On Windows:

1. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    2. Click File > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    4. Reboot your PC.
    5. Right-click the Luminar 4 icon > Run As Administrator.
    6. Click File > Install Plugins.
    7. Click Install next to Photoshop.

In case there's a message You have to install this software first, click Browse and navigate to where the .exe file of your host application is. After you show Luminar where the host app is, you will be able to install the plugin for the host.

Let us know how it goes.

Josu Ruiz de larrea

hello, I've done what you say and it keeps blocking when I get back to Photoshop, if I just add a cape if it works, but if I do 2 or more, when I get back to Photoshp, it gets locked and I have to make forced exit out of the luminar

I work on mac catalina 10.15.5

Martial Fournier

Nous allons présenter très prochainement notre manuel dans d'autres langues, dont le français. S'il vous plaît restez à l'écoute.
    En ce qui concerne le support de 2 écrans, c'est certainement quelque chose que nous avons dans notre backlog de fonctionnalités demandées. Bien sûr, nous serions heureux de mettre en œuvre toutes les suggestions, mais cela prend parfois plus de temps que prévu.

Veuillez noter que dans la version 4.3.0, il est possible d'utiliser uniquement la règle de la grille des tiers.

Pourquoi enlever une fonction qui marchait dans Luminar 3 et 4.2 ?

En ce qui concerne le support de 2 écrans:

Cette question est posée depuis Luminar 2018 === toujours la même réponse!!!!!!!!!!!

notre manuel dans d'autres langues, dont le français:

Cette question est posée depuis Luminar 2018 === toujours la même réponse!!!!!!!!!!!

Un peu foutage de gueule, Non ??????

Kate Williams

Josu Ruiz , thanks for this detail.

Could you please try to launch Luminar 4 in the standalone mode > click File >Catalog > New and create a new catalog. It will be empty. Then, please try to invoke the plugin from Photoshop. 

If the same issue persists, could you please contact us at https://skylum.com/support and provide the screen recording of your workflow that results in the freeze? 

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs and seeing your screen recording will help us follow all the steps exactly. 

Here's how to record your screen on Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Here's how you can send us the file and the photo you were working on: 

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the reply to this email.

Hope to hear from you soon.

------------------------------

Martial,

There's a French version of the Luminar 4 user guide translated by one of our artists. Please feel free to use it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zefickkk5myad8/User%20guide%20%28French%29.pdf?dl=0 

As far as splitting the UI between two monitors is concerned, we don't have plans to implement this feature in the nearest future, even though I agree that it would be great. That said, I've added your vote for this feature so maybe it will be reconsidered for future development. 

Kurt Friis Hansen

Does version 4.3 support HEIC/HEIF image format on Windows 10 Pro (1909) with full, paid format support added into Windows?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Kurt,

No, Luminar does not currently support HEIC/HEIF files on Windows.

Gregory Dunstone

I recently used the trial version V4.2 which worked fine. As a consequence I purchased V4.2.   However, just a few days later, the V4.3 update was installed -  it hangs after starting V4.3 the second and subsequent times.  The only way I can use the product is a) Reboot the Win10 64 Pro b) Run Luminar - and don't exit.  Once I exit Luminar, Luminar hangs at Luminar startup every time I. I have to reboot to make it useable again.  All details provided to Support but no indication when a fix will be available.....very disappointing now I see that others experience a hang at startup too.  There are no "windows log" events. The product seems to be waiting for some event or in a loop. It does not consume much CPU whilst in the loop - it does not "crash" out.

Regards

Greg

Helga Rowles

Hi Gregory,
    Thanks for your cooperation! Since our suggestions didn't help to fix the issue, we'd recommend installing Luminar 4.2.0.
    https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_420.exe

Our developers are currently looking for the root cause of the issue. As soon as we have any news, we will post an update here:
    https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009453700-Luminar-4-hangs-on-the-splash-screen-after-the-update-solutions

Please sign in to leave a comment.