Windows Luminar 2018: Crop Tool Bug

Comments

7 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the crop tool.

We would appreciate if you send us a screenshot with information about your PC.

On Windows 7 or 8 click on "Start", then right-click the Computer shortcut and select Properties, from the Start menu or from most places where you see the Computer shortcut. Some options how to make a screenshot on Windows 7 or 8 can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

On Windows 10 right click on "Start Menu" and click on "System" in pop-up menu to open "System" window. Press the “Windows logo key + PrtScn” and the screenshot will appear as a file in a folder entitled “Screenshots”, inside your default “Pictures” folder. 

Also, can you provide us with a detailed description of the process that leads to the problem with the crop tool?

A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example, 

1. Launch Luminar.

2. Load the file named X with an extension Y.

3. Apply Z filter.

4. Set S slider to U value.

5. etc. etc.

The more detailed the description is the quicker we'll be able to figure out what might be causing the issue. Also, if possible, it'd help if you could send us one of the files you are having this issue with. If the file is too large to upload you can use wetransfer.com and send us a shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Thank you in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Dan Harrison

It is really quite easy to replicate this.  I don't think you need a screenshot.  Again, using Windows 10 (64-bit) on a brand new Lenovo T580.

1.  Open any JPEG in Luminar.

2.  Select Crop or hit "C" key to bring up crop tool.

3.  Select an "Aspect ratio" - the two I use most is 5:4 and 4:5.

4.  Most, but not all, of the time I do not get a frame re-sized to 5:4 or 4:5.  I just have a frame around the whole picture.  I can select other aspect ratios and it won't change, and then after select 2-3 others, it will suddenly change.  Then I have to hope it works when I select 5:4 or 4:5 and it will resize again - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

This is a very frustrating bug but very, very easy to replicate.

Julia Kot

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue on our side. 

Please reinstall Luminar 2018.

On Win 8/10

Click on ‘Start’ menu > Settings > Apps > under ‘Apps & features’ please locate Luminar 2018 and click ‘Uninstall'

On Win 7

Click on 'Start' menu > Control panel> Programs and features > locate Luminar 2018 and click ‘Uninstall'

Then, please restart your PC and download Luminar 2018 for Windows one more time using this link

After that, please follow all the steps carefully:

• Locate the download (Luminar_2018_Setup.exe) in your Downloads folder.
    • Double-click to launch the installer and begin the installation process.
    • It is recommended not to make changes to the default installation path.
    • After the installation is finished you will be able to launch Luminar 2018 from your desktop, start menu, or installation folder.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

Joseph Byrne

I'm having the same problem w/ Luminar 3.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Joseph,

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please email us at support@skylum.com with a detailed step-by-step description of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. You can also make a screen recording. You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

If the issue occurs when you're working on an image, send us the image file. Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it may ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your email.

In case the issue leads to a crash, send us event logs:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries  and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your HIDE code:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz3p1hi2ze6j50x/ViewIDE.exe?dl=0
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HIDE code from the application's window and send it to us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

laurent Bachata

Hi

Similar problem for me too.

When I choose a ratio, the ratio become selected, but the rectangle area which represent the ratio doesn't change.

Often it is the 16/9, because i ofen use it.

My workaround is to choosing back the original ratio, then retry the 16/9 ..or anoter ratio...if it doesn't work...retry until taht work.

The process to send you the problem is too complex for me: please include in lunminar a "standard" diagnostic feature to send automatically the inforamtion you need (like several other product does).

Thanks

Kirk Osborn

Could you send a screen recording of the issue to support@skylum.com? Please use WeTransfer to upload a file.

Please sign in to leave a comment.