Is a "Gaming" laptop the best selection for photo processing?

Comments

5 comments

Julia Kot Kot

Hi David,

It should meet the following requirements:

Comment actions Permalink
    K.G. Wuensch

Sorry to rain on your parade but most gaming notebooks are terrible choices because they’ll have two problems.

For one the display will be optimized for high speed display, they unfortunately have horrible color fidelity though. In games that doesn’t matter, in image editing it’s a knockout criteria.

The other problem is that most of these notebooks (I have one myself that I tried Luminar 2018 on, it’s one of only a handful that is available with a decent IPS panel) have a dual graphics card setup with which Luminar doesn’t work properly (you could only use the high powered gaming graphics card which drains the battery in less than an hour instead of the 4-6 hours I can expect from use with Lightroom running at full speed. Also the temperature of the notebook rises within minutes so that any editing is accompanied by the cooling fans running at full speed. 

David Larsen

Thanks very much for the info. What should I be looking for in a photo editing laptop?

K.G. Wuensch

You should be looking for a notebook with an IPS display, best would be a metted display even if that takes some contrast away. Unfortunately those mostly are business machines which cost a lot and don’t have a high powered graphics card - which shouldn’t be needed for image editing anyway! Skylum needs to fix Luminar that it works without OpenGL 3.3 and super current graphics card drivers again, that requirement is ludicrous, especially when LR for example is about 10-20 times faster...

K.G. Wuensch

Nicky, no gaming laptops usually are horrible for image editing because their displays are geared to fast response times - and that usually means some sort of TN technology which is highly unstable with regard to viewing angle and thus is an absolute no-go for image editing!

Please sign in to leave a comment.