Comments

9 comments

Denis Kotsee

Sorry we weren't active here for a while. We're getting an update for Aurora ready, finishing up the DAM for Luminar, and there's also GDPR we have to make sure we fully comply with. I'd be glad to answer all your questions here.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sandra Seilmann

Hi Denis,

aktually, this is exactly what I mean. I'm sure you're doing a lot, but unfortunately you're doing it in hiding, which leads not only me, but others as well into thinking, that development is stalled. I even thought about buying something else instead.

I reckon most users would be happy if you just gave us some hints on how the progress is, what you got so far etc. . Especially the upcoming DAM seems to be of great interest to lots of people.

Anyway, speaking a a developer myself: The sooner people know where you're heading, the sooner you get feedback on whether you're going in the right direction or not. Would be a pity for us (and a desater for you), if the DAM does not fulfill the users' needs.

Cheers,
    Sandra

Denis Kotsee

I absolutely agree with you, Sandra, from an observer's perspective this definitely looks like an oversight on our part. Truth is, we're trying to work out a way of communication that will allow us to share as much as we can with you.This is a part of the notification campaign we're currently working on.

I trust that you, as a developer yourself, know how deadlines and features tend to change all the time. In our attempt to make sure we don't misinform you about when a certain feature is coming, or what features are coming, we inadvertently made it look like nothing is happening while, in reality, so much is happening that I don't really know where to begin.

I attended an internal presentation of the DAM a few weeks ago, and it looks pretty neat, in my opinion. There's still stuff to do but the main features are already in place. I wish I could share more but the presentation was for internal use, and I don't want to be the guy who tells everyone that we're going to have a certain feature only to see it not included in the final release.

Michael Anderson

The problem is partly that Skylum has already lost so much credibility due to the first commitment for the DAM being in 2017.   So it is already at least 6 months late.   Tomorrow starts June.   I suggest the Luminar DAM release needs to be released no later than the end of June 2018.   If not, it could be a long road to regaining the trust of former customers. 

Russell Webb

Hi, Reading the above it all seems hush,hush. Sandra asked the question some 17 days ago Michael posted 11 days ago and now me without a lot of hope of getting any information.

But here goes!!! I have Lightroom 6 along with Photoshop CS6 and really want rid of both but until either Skylum or Affinity Photo come up with two things I am stuck. (1) The DAM and (2) An option to export from the said DAM to Luminar multiple images in a layers stack so as to use parts of each image for Lighten, Darken etc etc. Thankyou, Russ.

Robert Custer

Denis,

Seeing a real problem with straightforwardness in your post here:

"Truth is, we're trying to work out a way of communication that will allow us to share as much as we can with you.This is a part of the notification campaign we're currently working on."

+"we inadvertently made it look like nothing is happening while, in reality, so much is happening that I don't really know where to begin"

+ "it looks pretty neat . . . there's still stuff to do but the main features are already in place."

+ "I wish I could share more but the presentation was for internal use"

= if unconcealed, the facts of the matter would be mostly unfavorable.

Truly do hope I'm wrong about this.

Warren Gale

Hey there,

If you looking for a way of communicating, have a look at factorio, I know it's a game but they release there Friday facts every Friday without fail. Updating there community with everything that is going on, changes they are making, features they want to add, even an in depth look at how the price change effected them.

Also why now release development branch that users can opt into, that way users make a choice of they want to use potentially buggy unfinished software. You'll also get feedback quicker.

Denis Kotsee

Hi Robert,

>Seeing a real problem with straightforwardness in your post here

I understand where you're coming from but I believe that having a staff-only demo of the DAM and figuring out a better way of communicating with users are hardly mutually exclusive activities.

Robert Custer

Hi Denis,

Yes, of course, and I'm encouraged that the staff is communicating with one another.  This does not connect users unless the staff makes it happen.  You have to do the thing, all we can do is point out that a thing should be done and give feedback.  I learned this axiom as an occasional investor in tech startups.  Absent the needed quality information, our participation is reduced to complaints.

Perhaps, if the staff were to begin referring to the users as the bill payers some ways to keep us in the loop regarding Luminar's promised functionality would become more obvious.

Please sign in to leave a comment.