Luminar without OpenGL 3.3 requirement?

Comments

16 comments

Denis Kotsee

What's your laptop make and model? I have a feeling that, given the price tag, it has a discrete graphics card that can run Luminar like a charm, you just have to force the application to use it.

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

The latest update to Windows 10 (April 2018) makes it relatively easy to set an app to use a discrete graphics card:

https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

K.G. Wuensch

My laptop indeed has a discrete graphics card but when used with Luminar it drains an 8 hour battery charge in a matter of 60-70 minutes, get’s ridicously hot (running the fans at full strength and noise and the location of the graphics chip radiates enough heat to make touching that area on the underside of the laptop painful) and thus is completely useless (I fear that this kind of behavour is damaging to the hardware)... The OpenGL functionality needs to go or at the very least be optional (like in LR) because even with that high powerd graphics card (which runs games just fine without the temperature or battery drain issues) Luminar is much slower than Lightroom on the same machine without OpenGL support enabled... 

Angela Andrieux

Hi K.G.,

The experience you are having with your discrete graphics card running is not typical. Would you mind sending us some info about your PC so we can look into the issue further? 

On Windows 7 or 8 click on "Start", then right-click the Computer shortcut and select Properties, from the Start menu or from most places where you see the Computer shortcut. Some options how to make a screenshot on Windows 7 or 8 can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

On Windows 10 right click on "Start Menu" and click on "System" in pop-up menu to open "System" window. Press the “Windows logo key + PrtScn” and the screenshot will appear as a file in a folder entitled “Screenshots”, inside your default “Pictures” folder. 

Please post the screenshot here or email it to support@skylum.com. Thanks in advance!

K.G. Wuensch

I currently don’t have access to that machine, I lent it out... As every machine I tried Luminar 2018 on either didn’t work at all (OpenGL support available but crashes) or runs a whole lot slower than before I am losing the will to even use Luminar.

Neptune was a nice plugin (the standalone version completely botched the RAW conversion) with some nice concepts. Luminar 2018 brought a gruesomely wrecked noise reduction (the filter that replaced the Neptune personality is rubbish), an automatic noise reduction on RAW conversions that really shouldn’t even exist, and now OpenGL issues by the bucket load (which weren’t even on the requirements list when I bought it). I don’t want a DAM but I really would like to be able to run Luminar again without having to deal with these stupid issues.

OpenGL should never ever have been mandatory, it should be optional if at all! Even companies whose development team is 10 times bigger than yours struggle to make OpenGL work for them - thus their products can disable it if it’s not off by default!

Trevor Phillips

Thank you for your comments on this. We'll take that into a consideration. 

Meanwhile, we'll be waiting for your PC info to take a further look at your issue. 

Also, let me assure you that our devs are constantly working on the performance improvements. 

K.G. Wuensch

@Trevor, instead of improving speed they must first massively improve stability - drop the OpenGL malarchy (make it optional) and then work on feature parity... Then they can think of either improving speed or adding the DAM - either of the two but never ever both, that’s going to be an unmitigated desaster (being a software developer myself I know what I am talking aboit having been forced into that situation and it ended in just such a desaster)...

Denis Kotsee

We need OpenGL 3.3 on Windows exactly because it helps us bring the Mac and Windows versions to parity. Parity doesn't only mean same features but similar performance. You wouldn't want the same feature working like a charm on Mac and being painfully slow on Windows. Something just being on Windows doesn't do any good, unless it's working properly.

I trust that, as a software developer, you're familiar with optimization, and with its peculiarities on Windows. To put it mildly, it's not ideal. So, in order to implement some features that work on Mac, we have to raise the hardware bar for Windows. Added speed in other aspects is a collateral in this case, a pretty nice one, but still a collateral.

K.G. Wuensch

Sorry but OpenGL driver quality is a quagmire on Windows which I wouldn’t touch for all the money in the world. For example my laptop (mentioned above) will never be able to run Luminar properly because I can only run older Intel drivers which have the functionality to enable the Nvidia GPU, if I “update” to newer drivers than the ones from late 2016 I will lose the ability to use the Nvidia GPU completely. But even with the Nvidia GPU enabled Luminar crawls (while frying the machine) because the bottleneck isn’t the GPU performance but the transfer of big chunks of data to the GPU! If I enable OpenGL support in Lightroom it too get’s a whole lot slower, that’s why I disable OpenGL in Lightroom and the machine with it’s SSD and i7 core with high CPU frequency flies! Sorry, you are barking up the wrong tree if you think that OpenGL is saving your bacon, it’s frying you - it’s opening so many can of worms you won’t ever be able to fix!

Jim Hester

.The link to the older version doesn't seem to work any more either.  

Nicolas Hamatake

I'm putting in another request for making OpenGL 3.3 optional. I've been able to use the latest versions of Lightroom, Capture One, and Exposure X4 all without OpenGL 3.3. Luminar won't even start up. It makes Luminar a non-starter in my quest for a LR alternative. I'd love to at least try it out. (My graphics card is a Radeon HD 4290 with the latest drivers (2013). It's old, but it seems to work just fine in all of your competitors' applications.)

Angela Andrieux

Hi Nicolas,

I understand your frustration, but unfortunately the requirement for OpenGL 3.3 or better will not be changing in the foreseeable future.

Talbert McMullin

That being the case, I'll forget about Skylum. I will not be changing my mind in the foreseeable future.

Olaf Kerkhof

I agree, if Skylum does not change things back to normal as many people request, it is a no brainer to stick with Lightroom.

Remember: when we purchased your software, nobody mentioned that we had to purchase a new pc to keep the software running.

Sorry, but very user unfriendly and absolutely no  idea what customer service means.

Thomas Mahnken

How come other software companies do support Mac and Windows but don't have any such problems to reach the same performance? Maybe there's something basically wrong with porting.
    I guess Skylum is hoping that problems will solve itself in the long run by higher spec'ed Hardware. Too bad.

Please sign in to leave a comment.