Luminar on Windows 10 is extremely slow

Comments

44 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Haavard - I'm sorry you are having speed issues with Luminar.

We would appreciate if you send us a screenshot with information about your PC.

On Windows 7 or 8 click on "Start", then right-click the Computer shortcut and select Properties, from the Start menu or from most places where you see the Computer shortcut. Some options how to make a screenshot on Windows 7 or 8 can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

On Windows 10 right click on "Start Menu" and click on "System" in pop-up menu to open "System" window. Press the “Windows logo key + PrtScn” and the screenshot will appear as a file in a folder entitled “Screenshots”, inside your default “Pictures” folder. 

Please also provide us with a detailed description of the processing you are applying to your photo.

A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example, 

1. Launch Luminar.

2. Load the file named X with an extension Y.

3. Apply Z filter.

4. Set S slider to U value.

5. etc. etc.

The more detailed the description is the quicker we'll be able to figure out what might be causing the issue. Also, if possible, it'd help if you could send us one of the files you are having this issue with. If the file is too large to upload you can use wetransfer.com and send us a shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Thanks in advance!

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

Are you running the latest version of Luminar 2018, which is version 1.2.0.1886?

Haavard Pettersen

I believe it is the latest version. Unfortunately, it was the demo, and I cannot buy this until it behaves normally. So I can't do any experimentation. But it seemed that saving times were not noticeably connected to the number of filters.

This is the system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EX58-UD3R
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2793 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FB, 04.05.2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode Legacy
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Unsupported
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Norge
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17134.1"
    User Name HAAVARDS-WINDOW\haava
    Time Zone W. Europe Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 16,0 GB
    Available Physical Memory 7,75 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 44,3 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 20,0 GB
    Page File Space 28,3 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 740

Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
    Adapter RAM (2 147 483 648) bytes
    Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_38c9bee769f9ef1f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_38c9bee769f9ef1f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_38c9bee769f9ef1f\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_38c9bee769f9ef1f\nvldumdx.dll
    Driver Version 24.21.13.9764

Windows on an SSD

Pictures on a 1tb Samsung drive, in a Dropbox folder.

Several USB drives attached.

Photoshop Elements and Picasa installed.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Haavard,

Thank you for providing your system information. It would also be helpful to know the steps you are taking in Luminar so we can attempt to recreate the issue. A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example, 

1. Launch Luminar.

3. Apply Z filter.

5. etc. etc.

The more detailed the description is the quicker we'll be able to figure out what might be causing the issue.

Also, if possible, it'd help if you could send us one of the files you are having this issue with. If the file is too large to upload you can use wetransfer.com and send us a shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Thanks in advance!

Haavard Pettersen

The problem is, this is a demo version, and it's now expired (I think it might have expired before it's supposed to, because it is still active on my laptop, where I installed at roughly the same time).

I was getting ready to buy it, but I don't think I can unless I know that I am getting normal saving times.

A bit of a Catch 22...

FWIW, the saving times were pretty identical no matter what kinds of filters I applied, but I generally applied many of the Professional ones, such as Raw develop, pro contrast, AI boost, plus Sharpener, Golden Hour and Sun Rays. I always used Raw files from Nikon D5300 and D90 (both of which took very long to open, as well.)

Saving in the Luminar proprietary format was a snap. It's just exporting to JPG that is the problem. 

On my laptop (Lenovo with i3 7th gen and 4 gb RAM), exporting takes about 50 seconds, so almost as bad (with weaker hardware).

If you could extend the trial period somehow, I could check on my main computer. I'm sure there are others with my hardware and software configuration.

Haavard

Julia Kot

Hi Haavard,

Please drop us a line to support@skylum.com. We will reset your trial period. 

Haavard Pettersen

Line dropped.

Miriam Burrai

Hi,

did you have any updates on this?

I have windows 10, I just downloaded Luminar 2018 to try it but I cannot save any image. It takes too long and on the end I have to stop it and start again.

I also use Aurora 2018, no problem with it.

thanks

Miriam

Angela Andrieux

Hi Miriam,

There is an update for Luminar coming very soon which should provide performance improvements.

In the meantime, we would appreciate if you send us a screenshot with information about your PC.

On Windows 10 right click on "Start Menu" and click on "System" in pop-up menu to open "System" window. Press the “Windows logo key + PrtScn” and the screenshot will appear as a file in a folder entitled “Screenshots”, inside your default “Pictures” folder. 

Please also provide us with a detailed description of the processing you are applying to your photo.

A numbered list of steps would be the most convenient. For example, 

1. Launch Luminar.

3. Apply Z filter.

5. etc. etc.

The more detailed the description is the quicker we'll be able to figure out what might be causing the issue. Also, if possible, it'd help if you could send us one of the files you are having this issue with. If the file is too large to upload you can use wetransfer.com and send us a shared for everyone link to support@skylum.com

Thanks in advance!

Miriam Burrai
    Hi Angela,
    I open luminar
    open a jpeg file
    open clone and stamp
    I do some cloning
    and then try to save
    it will stay there in saving mode for a long time, I just don't have any other option than to close it without saving.
    Same think if I try to export as jpeg.
    The images that I'm trying to edit are jpeg files, and they are around 2-3 MB each.

Another thing I tried is open a raw file, .RAF, applied a pre-set and then I tried to export as jpeg. It worked in a reasonable amount of time. But when I tried to used the clone and stamp and then again export, it will just stay there, exporting image.
    The .RAF files are 30-33 MB each.
    Denis Kotsee

The export speed really depends on the amount of Clone&Stamp you apply (Erase also is in this category).

Darren Hartley

I really do like this program so I purchased it and am having the same issue as well... Watching this post with anticipation of the update to come through soon and fix this problem. I am on a laptop with windows 10..

T Das

If "exporting" from Luminar is taking forever (i.e. never getting completed) on Windows 10 then your anti-virus might be the culprit. Luminar is trying to save the exported image in a location, but the antivirus is trying to stop it from doing so. You can shut down your antivirus for say 5 mins and then you can try exporting an image to verify if it's working. If it works then you have to add Luminar in the exception list of your antivirus. This is how I resolved this problem in my PC.

Lone Kiter

Im having the same issue, Iv just done a rough test and it takes 45 seconds to send a file from LR to NIK adding 1 filter and back, less for PS, but when I try do the same in Luminar the quickest Iv had is 4mins 15 seconds, but usually it freezes and I have to unplug my computer which I guess is dangerous, looks like there is an issue here!!! Im running windows 10 on a hp pavillion i5, works ok with LR and PS. And Im only adding 1 basic filter in Luminar nothing fancy, exporting is the main issue totally freezes 90% of the time, and takes about 2 mins just to open up. 2 days left on trial....

Lone Kiter

So from LR I right click Export...open source file or with LR adjustments it makes no odds to the time it takes, then it takes about 2.30 min just to open Luminar, still in trial mode by the way. The I add one basic filter...press "Apply" at which point Luminar starts the export process back to LR, usually at 3.00 mins it freezes completely and I have to unplug or if not takes on average 4.30 mins  to get back to LR. 

R.M.

The issue is not resolved. Exporting files is extremely slow on my (old) Windows 7 laptop PC. 

Windows 7 Home Premium

Intel Core i5 M480 @ 2,67 Ghz 64Bit

4GB RAM

1TB SSD Samsung Evo 

Luminair 2018 version 1.3.1.2291

What I did:

1. open Luminar and select batch convert
    2. open 3 RAW files from Sony A7R III / Olympus OMD E-M10 II
    3. select my preset (100%)
    • -no change WB
    • -no change brightness and contrast
    • -lights -51, shadows +25, darks -27
    • -saturation +16
    • -LUT
    • -HSL red 0,-2, +10
    • -HSL orange -50, -39, 0
    • -sharpen strength 40, radius 50
    • -noise reduction color 1
    • JPEG 80%, sRGB, original size, no sharpening
    1.  start export
    2.  get time how long every export took

The result is abysmal. 

• Adobe Lightroom 6 + Sony A7R III : 19s / JPG
    • Adobe Lightroom 6 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 8s / JPG
    • Capture One 11 + Sony A7R III : 16s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 176s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 48s / JPG

Batch convert without preset (step 3):

• Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 63s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 23s / JPG

Did you found a reason yet so we can expect a solution? Thank you!

Angela Andrieux

@R.M. - Thank you for providing such detailed information. I see that you are running with only 4GB of RAM. Our minimum recommendation is 8GB (though I personally recommend at least 16GB for any kind of graphic processing). This aspect of your computer is probably contributing to the slow speed of the exports. As for the comparisons, each application operates differently and the system requirements for those applications will vary as well. 

You can find a complete list of our system requirements here: https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/general

R.M.

Thank you for your reply. I ordered additional RAM, installed it and repeated my processing.

I work on a Sony Vayo VPCEB4X1E. This setup can only handle up to 8GB DDR3 1066MHz. So I could only replace my previous 4GB Samsung DDR3 1066MHz C9 with new Corsair 8GB DDR 1066MHz C7 RAM.

Processing times went down only for those large A7R III files

• 4GB + preset: Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 176s / JPG
    • 8GB + preset: Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 112s / JPG
    • 4GB + no preset: Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 63s / JPG
    • 8GB + no preset: Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III : 48s / JPG

There was no improvement for the smaller 16MP files of the OMD.

• 4GB + preset: Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 48s / JPG
    • 8GB + preset: Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 48s / JPG
    • 4GB + no preset: Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 23s / JPG
    • 8GB + no preset: Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : 23s / JPG

I didn't measure C1 and Lightroom again. But if you compare those numbers Luminar is very slow compared to its peers. Depending how you look at it Lightroom is 6 times faster than Luminar. And that is a big issue. Imagine you have to work up 100 files (that's few). Luminar would take on my system 3 hours compared to Lightroom that only need 32 minutes. 

I wonder if this is a Window version issue...

Please look into improving performance of Luminar for Windows in future updates. Thank you!

R.M.

Screenshot of RAM usage during the 3 A7RII files test processing on my PC. Luminar realy needs those 4 Cores and 8GB RAM...

Angela Andrieux

Hi R.M.,

I'm glad that additional RAM helped a bit with your Sony files. Please keep in mind that both Lightroom and C1 both pre-load (catalog) images prior to processing whereas Luminar currently loads/processes images at the time that you invoke the process. Once the Luminar Library is released (which will allow your images to be loaded prior to processing) processing times should improve.

R.M.

I'm a software developer myself and so I know the tradeoff between memory usage and realtime processing. Sorry to say, but what I see here is not hardware limited speed. Loading a 42MP file from a SSD into RAM should not take more than 1 second. Processing those data, color it, sharpen it and compress it will be expensive calculations. Profiling should help get memory leaks and slow algorithms under controll.

In addition I did my measuremt with my work Mac book Pro (2015).

• Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III + preset : 44s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Sony A7R III + no preset : 26s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II  + preset: 17s / JPG
    • Luminar 2018 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II  + no preset: 10s / JPG
    • Adobe Lightroom 6 + Sony A7R III : 3,6s / JPG
    • Adobe Lightroom 6 + Olympus OMD E-M 10 II : <1s / JPG

The 16MP files are processed in under 1 second by Adobe, whereas Luminar took 17 seconds for every image. Lightroom does process 3 images at once and only needs under 4 seconds for every image. Luminar is faster on the Mac too but nowhere near the performance of Lightroom.

So, its not a Windows issue.

Anna V

I will forward your measurements to our technical department. We are constantly working on Luminar 2018 and we will definitely enhance its speed. 

Archimedes Brodith

Paid Luminar 3 is very slow in Windows 10, especially on editing, I don't have this problem with the Luminar 2018.

Denis Kotsee

We're aware of the performance issues on some computers, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We have already worked out a solution for this issue and we'll include it in Luminar 3.1.0. At the moment these are the main factors that contribute to Luminar's performance:

• Installing Luminar and having photos on SSD significantly increases the performance.
    • The amount of RAM.
    • CPU.
    Robert Zobáč

It's slow, and there's no keyboard shortcuts that were in the previous versions and it's full of errors. Do not be angry, are you kidding? You first promise and miss the last minute to avoid being screamed by an undated program. I'm sorry that I've ever bought a license for your program, it's been a waste of money.

Lutz Peter

I have tried it on two different computers. On both the same problem. I need an eternity to edit a photo. And pictures that have already been edited, I can not continue editing. When I open such a photo, the fun crashes after a few minutes.

Is there a limit to the photos you should upload to the Biblitotek? I have about 4600 RAWs in Luminar 3.

Lutz Peter

People please do something very fast. No tools will be paid if I want to edit a photo. Not even a menu item on the right click I get on without this garbage crashes.

I am so disappointed with this fast-paced software. If that is not solved soon then I install the 2018 again and this dirt you can now keep. Even if I got it for free, it is an impertinence, but nothing more.

Roger Borg

Hi. ive just tried Luminar 3 as edtior. i like it a lot..but...it takes forever to export files? sometimes it even turns off ,most in win 10.

I have allmost all editors. co1. LR. allian skin. affinity etc. but i liked a few things with luminar 3. but the exort time is not ok. 

never seen something like this before. i see that many people have the same issue, all my computors are ggod and new.

i want to buy it but not before you have solved the problem, i really hope you do.i like it:)

Roger

Angela Andrieux

Hi Roger,

We're aware of the performance issues, and we're truly sorry if you encountered them.

We will release an update meant to target these issues at the end of January - beginning of February.

Krzysztof Em

Hi Angela, 
    when release can be expected?

Please sign in to leave a comment.