turn off Noise reduction

Comments

10 comments

Fernando Ariznavarreta

uh, uh...

if AI decisions is the way luminar is going to, i have made a mistake buying luminar.

It is great to be able to have a good result with just a couple of clicks, sometimes, but i want full control of what the editor applies. No serious photographer wants to loose that control, i want to make my own mistakes, don't want the developer make them for me. 

for making authomatics adjustments and sending the results to friands throuh whatsapp i use mobile apps.

you should devide if you want a mobile app in a big display or a lightroom killer app as you announce.

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. I will pass your suggestion to our developers.

John Holden

I'm lurking, waiting for the DAM and.... you can't turn off noise reduction?! NR is on/off, not a slider 0 to 100!? OMG! I won't be buying Luminar if that's still the case when the DAM arrives and I finally get around to trialling it.

John

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, even more AI when the basic functions don’t work properly makes me even more nervous! I doesn’t inspire confidence that the problem will get smaller, quite to the contrary is makes me weary that to get rid of the unwanted noise reuction you have to employ yet another automatic image enhancement which you then have to countermand (which with your history in Neptune and now 2018 will be impossible). I already made a request to disable the completely confidence shattering automatic noise reduction 2 months ago, still your response shows that you have no  clue whythis is a problem. Let me spell it out once more. If there is an automatic noise reduction applied on the basis of a heuristic (detecting noise in an image, that’s something totally different from tieing such a function to an ISO setting) then the user will never be able to use a standardized workflow - which invalidates the whole DA idea you have been floating...

Denis Kotsee

I understand your concerns. We're not going to counter one automatic process with another, we're going to improve and build upon what we already have.

I use a variety of digital products, and it also bugs me sometimes that the companies seem to introduce features or do things that do not make sense to me from the customer's perspective. But then I remember that there are people working in those companies who have a certain vision of how their products should be, and what they should do, and I remember why I chose the product to begin with - because I trusted those people and their vision. So I choose to continue trusting them unless, of course, it's something that completely invalidates my workflow or something like that. If that's what automatic noise reduction in Luminar does for you at the moment, I'm truly sorry.

Right now I can't exactly tell you how we're going to implement the changes, or what those changes are going to be but I do know that your request was heard. I wish we could deliver more than just that in 2 months but there are lots of things in the backlog that have higher priority.

K.G. Wuensch

@Denis, yes it does shatter my confidence that Skylum has a vision that is worthwhile adhering to, it was yet another automatic image enhancement that destroys my workflow, just like the HDR maniac Neptune. At first Luminar 2018 looked like a big improvement and then came this iditic move of mak8bg an unavoidable noise reduction part of the RAW developmen.The other problem is the high reliance on OpenGL with increased requirements after purchase - which means that on 3 of the 4 machines I intended to run Luminar on it doesn’t run properly, so Isas duped into buying Luminar...

Denis Kotsee

You could say that the OpenGL thing was a necessary evil. Windows is, well, 'different' from Mac in terms of performance optimization. If we want to make stuff that runs smoothly on Mac run as smoothly on Windows, we have to raise the bar for hardware, otherwise we risk sinking time and resources into porting a feature only to see it fail spectacularly in terms of user experience.

K.G. Wuensch

I highly doubt that OpenGL is the right solution to optimisation, Luminar has become even slower on the machine it runs on - because I have a high specced CPU and alow spec graphics card. And Photoshop and Lightroom both fly on that very machine even with a lot of layers or local corrections. Just opening a 20MP RAW file takes 30 seconds and screen updates are sluggish. So OpenGL has made matters worse. On the other Windows machines it now doesn’t function at all any more, so from 4 machines that could run Luminar I am down to 1 and on that it’s substantially SLOWER! On my Mac I am not even trying it anymore because of the noise reduction and your stance towards not fixing this issue...

Denis Kotsee

I understand where you're coming from but it's not like we in any way benefit from you not being able to use Luminar on your computers as you used to. Believe me, if we could, we would have added all the features, and implemented all possible optimizations, anything to make you, our users, happy. Sadly, this is a utopian fantasy that's not going to happen anytime soon.

In order to move forward and develop, people have to make choices that limit their opportunities. I make music, and I have a small group of people online who are interested in it. I imagine they're not very happy right now, since I have not posted anything new for a long time because at the moment I have other priorities, such as typing this response to you. I'm making sure your concerns are addressed at the expense of making someone else unhappy, and I'm fine with that. Even though it bothers me that I can't make everyone happy, I can only do so much. I believe it's the same with business. Skylum's potential is immeasurable but our resources are finite, so we have to pick and choose our priorities. Are they the right priorities? Only time will show. I believe they are. We have big plans, it's just that big plans don't happen overnight.

Denis Kotsee

Hi John,

we're planning on introducing some pretty tasty AI stuff into Luminar, so maybe that missing NR slider won't be an issue at all. On the other hand, I totally understand where you're coming from, sometimes full control is what you want. As Angela stated, we'll make sure your request is heard.

Please sign in to leave a comment.