Luminar 4, HIGH CPU and RAM USAGE

Answered

Comments

9 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi David Guilder,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could take a deeper look into the issue.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anastasia Davis

Hi David! Indeed, Luminar might use quite a lot of RAM. Nevertheless, we are working on it. It should be improved in the next update (the middle of July).

At the moment, please try to reduce the size of your catalog. You can create a new one: in the top bar menu choose file > Catalog > New

David Guilder

Ok but that still doesn't explain why my CPU is at 100% usage or why I cannot export a single image. Its never done this before. Reducing my catalog size I don't think will do anything. My catalog only has 13 images in the single image edits. There should be no way that's causing 100% CPU usage. I have the image specifically the way I want it already in the first catalog as well. 

Kim Austin

Hi Anastasia

You said "...It should be improved in the next update (the middle of July)." Last time I asked, I was told that the update that had been promised for late May, early June, was not being delivered until the end of June.  Now you're saying mid-July????

Which is it?

Roy Blackwell

Not everyone's experience with Luminar is the same. @David, what are your computer specs? I am guessing from your screenshot you only have 8GB ram (could be wrong about that). If true, that means generally poor performance. Luminar should work with 8GB, but not well. I'd also suggest closing Chrome as it is eating up a lot of memory.

Helena Carter

Roy, thanks for your advice!

Also, I can add that hiding Looks panel might speed up processing a bit.

Kim Austin

Anastasia 

Please confirm the date that the update is to occur. 

Thank you.

R Ka

Found multiple threads on high CPU and RAM usage on windows, even as old as 8 months "Luminar 4-Dismal performance in Windows" and there was even a post with the same complaint on Luminar 3 where someone reported 29GB of RAM used out of 32GB.!!

We are on Luminar 4.2 and still no fix. Have a 16 GB RAM, idle consumption is about 50%, hovers around the 8GB mark, doing nothing but exporting an image to jpg will run it to 11GB. If you have chrome open in the background, then that's it. Makes your 16GB will look like its 256MB from the late 90s. 

Ridiculous  and very surprising that this has not been fixed with other feature upgrades. The best you can expect is "We are aware of this issue and working on a fix",

eta.. probably Luminar 20* in 2100AD** and you have to pay for that

* could have more 0s

** this is approx time and will depend on the occurrence of new viruses and world wars

Kirk Osborn

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

The next update for Luminar 4 will be released within the next couple of weeks.

Post is closed for comments.