Metadata update?

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Austin Miller

Hi David. We plan on adding IPTC data editing tool and a search tool to both Luminar 3 and Luminar 4. Please stay tuned!

Comment actions Permalink
    Laurent Uhler

And please do not forget to apply a fix to Luminal Flex which strip exif and metadata on export !

Austin Miller

Hi Laurent. I will pass your concern to our tech department so we can take it into consideration!

David Reagan

I'm glad it's still planned. But when will it happen?

Metadata is well defined. I expect there are multiple libraries available in whatever language Luminar is programmed in that would make reading and writing the data simple. I have no idea how good it is, but TinyEXIF exists for C. I'm sure there are others.

I'm a Linux SysAdmin by day, and I do quite a bit of web development as well. So I know things are sometimes more complicated than they appear. But 17 months is a really really long time. It should be plenty of time for developing a really really good metadata management system from scratch, much less being able to use open source libraries and integrate with Luminar's UI.

Anyway, it just feels like all Skylum's focus is on AI, and anything not AI is ignored. Which is really frustrating when metadata management is such an essential part of a photo library management tool. If I had known it was going to take so long for it to be implemented, I'd never have purchased Luminar in the first place.

So, yeah, please get metadata moved to the top of the todo list. It's been promised for 17+ months. I'd say it's time to keep that promise.

David Reagan

So, the roadmap page is now redirected to the blog. That's disappointing...

Any updates on metadata management?

Does the new 4.3 search tool search anything other than filenames? I have to wonder how useful it is if you can't search keywords, or titles, or descriptions...

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

These parameters are available for searching:

• Photo name

• Folder name

• Date (month only)

• File extension

https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/library-toolbar

As for metadata management, please see this response from our CEO: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4?page=1#community_comment_360002146140

Wolfgang Schwach

Hi Angela,

Thanks for the link to the update. This means I will skip purchasing updates until at least exports of processed images will include the original metadata.

It's a pity, but you cannot always get what you want.

Cheers,

Wolfgang 

Jorge Lascar

Hi Angela,

I am considering purchasing (currently just trialing) Luminar. I currently own Aurora HDR and I am happy with it.

I second other user's opinions regarding metadata. Metadata is critical in my current picture workflow. It is a flexible and easy to use tool and I am quite surprised that Luminar does not implement it. I love the product but I too need a replacement for LightRoom and metadata is a requirement for those candidates.

Thank you for letting us know what the current status of its development is. I will continue trial Luminar but please convey to the team that I too believe metadata is a key tool for working with large number of pictures.

Cheers,

Jorge

Please sign in to leave a comment.