Luminar 4 keeps crashing and won't open on my iMac

Answered

Comments

27 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi John,

We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

You can manage your license in the My Software section of your Skylum account. If you reach your install limit simply log in to our site to reset your license. Please note that this action will require you to re-enter your activation code on any other machines you have the software currently installed on.

Comment actions Permalink

I have the same problem. I checked out that app, it doesn't go up to the newest IOS. I Can't get anyone to contact me, I trashed everything and tried to reload, nothing.

Helena Carter

Darlene,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you.

John Saunders

Having the same issue here.  I downloaded a fresh version and still the same issue. Ran it from the shell too with the same result.  It was working a week ago and I don't recall a new mac OS dropping recently.  Currently running Catalina 10.15.4 on a 15" 2019 MacBook Pro.

Austin Miller

Hi John.

Could you please try to remove your catalog and launch Luminar 4 to see if the issue persists?

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar Catalog folder. Choose any name you like.

Note that the albums you created in Luminar and edits you made will not be accessible in Luminar after you've renamed the catalog folder. They will still be saved on your hard drive should you need to access them in the future. Your photos on disk won't be affected in any way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Neil Shayler

I have to be honest the software is great but it just keeps failing to load on my iMac wish id just stuck to Adobe, I have no idea if this software has been properly tested on Catalina, I won't recommend friends use. Sorry 

Helena Carter

Hi Neil, 

I'm so sorry to hear this, really. However, we really want to help you get Luminar 4 up and running. May I ask you, if you don't mind, to complete the following steps? They proved to help most of our artists who encountered crashes on start on Mac:

Thanks for reaching out.

Please try the following steps:
    1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.
    Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpfulhttps://www.loom.com/share/2fad8457bbb34faa948ea766a002aad8

If this doesn't help, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support so we could assist you.

John Saunders

I did the option key method, which inevitably worked.  However, I had to choose the very first backup from when I first installed it several months prior.  It still wouldn't work with back-ups from only a few weeks prior when it had been working fine.

D GRAY

Mine is doing the same with Catalina 10.15.4. This needs to be fixed asap.

Margaret Bright

Hi!

Please perform the following:

• Open Finder.
    • Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    • Paste the following path: ~/Library/Caches/SentryCrash/ and click Go.
    • Please locate and delete the Luminar 4 folder from the folder that opens.

Hope this helps!

Crystal Skramstad

I've done everything including a fresh reinstall and clearing the sentry crash. I can get the program to open for maybe 10-15 seconds and then it crashes again. I've now been told this is a known issue with Macs and there is a patch coming soon. Is there a date? I have photos I NEED to get edited, not to mention my 30 day money back guarantee will be ending soon. I really like this program when it works, but I need it to work!

Please give me more specifics or I'm going to have to give up on this program!

Justin Swartz

Having same crash issue all the sudden.  It used to happen every so often when I was working with a large photo, but tonight it was all the time and now L4 won’t even open.   Does clearing the Sentry crash affect edited photos in any albums at all?  

using a newer Mac desktop with Catalina.    

Kate Williams

Crystal, the new update will be released within a couple of weeks. Please don't worry about the money-back guarantee, we do understand that the crashes did not give you a chance to work with it properly and enjoy its potential to the fullest. Thus, the money-back guarantee can be extended for you in this case (until the new update is released). 

Justin , clearing Sentry Crash folder does not affect the edits in the library in any way. It's an absolutely safe procedure. 
    By the way, neither the reinstallation does, as the Catalog is stored separately from the app bundle. 
    Thus, please try the solutions posted above. If the issue persists, please contact us at  https://skylum.com/support
    Carlos Rivera

I am also having the same issue since I last used luminar 4 successfully about 3 days ago. I reinstalled like somebody said above and no luck....cleared sentry, no luck. I am on Catalina 10.15.5, MacBook Pro 16" 2019. I just purchased Luninar June 9th and am really disappointed. It worked great for a pretty good sized project this past weekend but trying to go back in again and getting crash reports left and right. Please advise.....

Austin Miller

Hi Carlos. Could you please specify if you have used the Restore from Backup option?

Rex Bryngelson

Margaret's fix worked for me.  I'm running Sierra on my Mac

Amberlyn Belden

I am having the same issue. I have uninstalled, deleted, reinstalled, and I keep getting errors and complications with the app. I am still within my 30 day window for my money back and I am considering it. The app is amazing but if I cannot get it to work on my computer there is no point in me owning it. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with the Catalina 10.15.4 update. I have plenty of ram, memory, everything for this app. I got this computer to fit the requirements for this app and adobe apps. So I am extremely frustrated. On top of that I have emailed about a separate very big issue I'm having with the app and no one has emailed me back. 

Ileen Weber

I am on Mojave 10.14.6 and last used Luminar 4 a few months ago with only a few random crashes but not enough to be a problem. I was working on processing and printing a large study in B&W from the 80's originally photographed with a 4x5 view camera. I had converted the negatives to digital images.  I completed that project.  Today I wanted to start working again with other photographs on my external hard drive when Luminar 4 kept crashing upon opening.  I tried to open Luminar 3, same problem.  I have followed the advice above including downloading the software for a clean install and following Margaret's option that helped Rex a day ago but it did not help me. Will you email when the update is available to fix this problem?

Elena Blum

Hi,

Let's try restoring from backup: 

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpfulhttps://www.loom.com/share/2fad8457bbb34faa948ea766a002aad8

If the issue persists, please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

Richard Ross

Question for anyone.  I have older versions of Luminar on my Mac and wondering if that could cause the problems I am having, with the crashing of L4.  If so, I will remove them, since they don't really have a use.  Thank you.

Helena Carter

Hi,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will gladly help you with this.

John Robinson

My standalone Luminar Version 4.2.0 started crashing less than half an hour ago. It would work as an extension to Apple Photos. It would not work with Adobe Bridge nor as a standalone - it crashed immediately. A Time Machine back up didn't work but following Elena's approach (I didn't bother deleting the existing version), all is well again.

Slightly bothered that you have to back up from Luminar as I tend to delete such backups, preferring to rely on Time Machine. Seems I can't rely on Time Machine for Luminar.

No idea what caused the crash (my Luminar hasn't been crashing since the Catalina problem was cured)) but grateful for the effective advice on how to stop the crashes.

Zeljko Dakic

I solved?! this by using Luminar 3. If this doesn't get resolved soon, I don't know, but I will have to look for alternatives. So far L3 seems to be working well.

Darren Russinger

What's the latest? I just did the Luminar update but the plug-in (PS) seems to freeze my Mac periodically.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Darren,

Please note that due to some peculiarities with Photoshop plugin, it needs to be updated separately after you update Luminar. Our team is currently looking for a way to make the plugin update automatically along with the update of Luminar. We hope to implement this in the future.

In the meantime, to update your Luminar 4 plugin please perform the following:

1. Launch Luminar 4.
    2. In the top menu click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    3. Click Uninstall next to Photoshop.
    4. Reboot your Mac and launch Luminar 4.
    5. Click Luminar 4 > Install Plugins.
    6. Click Install next to Photoshop.

You may be prompted to enter your Mac user password at some point, please do so.

Let us know how it goes.

Darren Russinger

Thank you for the info Angela!  Updating the plugin was a snap.  I'll let you know if I notice any other issues!  Love Luminar so please keep up the great work!

Angela Andrieux

You're very welcome, Darren! Have a great day!

Please sign in to leave a comment.