Automatic unwanted imports

Answered

Comments

13 comments

Austin Miller

Hi David. It looks like your Luminar Catalog folder is inside the Pictures folder. Please note that the Luminar Catalog folder contains auxiliary files, cache, previews, editing history and it shouldn't be added to Luminar.  Please move the Luminar Catalog folder to a folder that is not added to Luminar.

Comment actions Permalink
    Dayo Akanji

One expect that the program would simply prevent users from putting a catalogue in undesirable filesystem locations.

The question Austin Miller, is, why doesn't Luminar take care of such a trivial thing? Why, Why Why???

Austin Miller

Hi Dayo. Thanks for the suggestion. We are constantly working on improving Luminar and your help is greatly appreciated. We will make sure to implement this feature in future updates. 

I have the same issue... it's like a cancer.  Dozens of copies of each image - a total mess!

David Whalley

Yes, it is a disease. I never moved the Luminar folder into pictures, Luminar installed it in there - on every edition.

Moving the catalog out of pictures does not solve the problem of having thousands of duplicate pictures. As a result I'm pretty much back to Lightroom. No issues there.

Austin: does this sentence you wrote make sense to you? "Catalog folder contains auxiliary files, cache, previews, editing history and it shouldn't be added to Luminar." 

David

Victoria Grace

Hello David,

If you're still experiencing the duplicate issue, please, reach our support team via https://skylum.com/support and we'll do our best to solve this for you.

PMC

I have the same issue. There should be 94 photos in my library. Ones that I want in there and have manually imported. Instead, it shows 2800+

Some of these are other photos kept in the Pictures folder (where Luminar installed its catalog), many are duplicates.

Since Luminar constantly references the original file, it doesn't seem to be replicating the file on my hard drive. But then, this creates the problem that you're referring to David. When I try to remove all of these duplicates from my Luminar library, it tells me that "x" doesn't exist. Why? Because it's already removed an "x" duplicate and moved the original file to my trash. If Luminar is not creating duplicate files on my hard drive, then it should not be moving original files to my trash. This is a big issue that should be fixed ASAP!

Helga Rowles

Hi Member, please note that the Luminar Catalog folder contains file previews, cache, auxiliary files, etc. It's not supposed to be added to your library.

Please close Luminar, go to Pictures and move the Luminar Catalog folder to a folder that is not added to Luminar. It should resolve the issue.

PMC

Yes, this was previously mentioned in this thread. What was also mentioned is that moving the catalog folder outside of the Pictures folder as you recommend does not solve the issue.

Furthermore, if the catalog folder should not be in the Pictures folder, then why does Luminar install it there? And, why doesn't Luminar recognize its own "previews, cache, auxiliary files, etc." and stop itself from duplicating them?

Even if I could get Luminar to stop importing and duplicating photos that I don't want, how am I supposed to remove the one's it has already imported? Each time I try to do that it moves the original file to the trash. Just because I don't want a particular file in Luminar doesn't mean I don't want the file. This is a major flaw with the software.

Agreed this is a major flaw (and a major pain in the neck!).  The feedback I get from the Help personnel is not useful at all.  A friend of mine who uses Luminar had the same problem - her suggestion was to uninstall Luminar and then do a reinstall.  She says she had no problems after doing this.  I am in the process of doing the reinstall, and I will then start over and add all my photos in again.  Starting over will be easier than trying to delete thousands of extra images and move folders as they are advising (which I'm not convinced will solve the problem).

David Whalley

I did not do a reinstall but deleted all of the pictures and reinstalled the pictures from back up.

Major time suck.

However, delete & reinstall of the pictures worked. No duplication, so far.

Oh, and I didn't move the Luminar folder.  Figured it was where it was for a reason. Been there since the original Luminar.

No problem so far.

D

PMC

I'm guessing when you reinstalled the pictures you lost all of your edits?

How were you able to get around the "can't delete X because the file isn't found"?

Maybe I'll give it a try once I've finished working through this one batch of photos and exporting the edited version.

David Whalley

I did not lose edits. Back up (Time Machine) had edited but not duplicated files if I went back far enough in time.

Since I essentially trashed the whole Luminar pictures folder it didn't hassle me about being unable to delete some.

It took me two days, I was a frazzle at the end of each day. But I happen to have a lot of time right now.....

And it did cure it.  And new imports have gone fine.

Please sign in to leave a comment.