Luminar 4 doesn't use the GPU

Answered

Comments

39 comments

Ary Djajadi

I bought LR4 that I hardly use because it is unusable.  I bought it without trying because I loved the features.  I have been using LR since LR 2018 and it is just getting slower on every release.  Do you guys use your own software?  It is not usable without utilizing GPU, c'mon man.

Comment actions Permalink
    Colin Grant

Something wrong with your set-up then. Lr and Ps are fine here and there have been speed improvements over the last few updates. Luminar 4 is another issue but I don't use it now.

Helga Rowles

Hi Ary,
    Could you please reach us at skylum.com/support so we can look into the issue you're encountering? We will be happy to help.

René Düttra

I'm using a Razer Blade 15 adv. model - Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake i7-10875H CPU, octa-core 2.3 GHz (5.1 GHz boost) + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Max-Q with 8GB GDDR6 VRAM.

Love the L4 features, not so much the poor performance. Despite mint Win10 and software deployment, I've been quite surprised of the various delays when processing an image. Tried to run some tests with dedicated GPU selection through Nvidia control panel, until I stumbled upon this forum post among others.

Dear Helga Rowles, end of 2020 meanwhile. Yet, continued no tangible update from Skylum product management team on a reliable timeline after 8 months?! I think the interested forum members deserve an honest update.

1. Will GPU support come to L4 - yes or no? If it is still not a clear item available on the product roadmap, then it is a no.

2. If yes, what is the estimated quarter for release - Q1 2021, Q2 2021, ..? any publicly available beta?

This can't be that impossible to answer by accountable Skylum staff. Especially, since access to GPU is meanwhile a commodity feature available through standard APIs.

Thank you FY support.

David Kelly

Don't hold your breath.

"It's coming around Xmas 2022" - Skylum Support.

Colin Grant

L4 will be superseded by Luminar AI (a different product) this month and I am not even sure that has GPU support (I think not). L4 will never get it now. I am not certain how long end of life support will continue  for L4 (Skylum are not good at this anyway) but not as far out as December 2022 I am sure.

Victoria Grace

Hi guys,

We've been using GPUs for a long time now to speed up some processes such as of opening RAWs, denoising and a few other things. More powerful hardware can accelerate these processes. But you should understand that not all technologies that we have in Luminar at the moment can be transferred to the GPU in the form they are now.

Further, we're planning to use Intel ML-framework OpenVINO, that already gives us a significant acceleration of rendering on CPUs of current generations and will give us even more gain on new CPUs (TigerLake and newer), including execution on embedded GPU.

While developing LuminarAI, there are plans also to use other high-level APIs (not only OpenCL as it is now) for hardware acceleration of various computations on all available devices, including GPUs.

We appreciate all your understanding on this matter.

David Haberer

I'm so glad I tried the trial first. It took working i
    On about three images to realise how poor this performance is. I quickly opened up to the task manager to realize its only using my cpu which is a beast. I'd buy this software if it performed better but at this point you guys lost a sale. Good thing for trials.

Hey Luminar team!

I am an amateur photographer and I like Luminar 4 because it's smart, simple, effective and has a decent one-off price. I have an on-average laptop and of course this means my editing experience is quite terrible and slow - but that is expected. For this reason, I have been thinking recently "okay I want to upgrade my photography assets, and this includes buying a new PC with stronger GPU so Luminar will be faster". But after this thread I feel like "oh no, Luminar was good at the beginning, now if I want to upgrade I need to find something else."

This sucks, right?

I really feel like Luminar isn't willing to follow me in the journey of upgrading to a more "premium" side of photography. Please help me understand your point of view on this.

I acknowledge you are starting to consider this upgrade somewhere in the future, but I'm going to buy my new laptop in a couple of weeks so that's about the time I am willing to wait for a basic feature of a photo editing tool. So sorry! ;(

Please sign in to leave a comment.