ISSUE: Ghost Reduction Causes Noise in Aurora HDR 2019

Answered

Comments

6 comments

• Official comment
    Austin Miller

Hi Sky. 

Please send us the original files you are working with.

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your email to support@skylum.com
    Comment actions Permalink
    michael mills

I've seen this too.

I sent the files to Skylum Support.  The response was this, essentially telling me "You're shooting wrong":

"We tested your images, and we've found out why such behavior occurs. It happens because of the way the photos were shot. Please, note that the ""neutral" middle image, based on which group of brackets is advised to be shot, it the one with 0.0EV, should be in the middle, while in your group of brackets it's the second image based on its darkness. However, this 0.0EV is a bit dark, while the other 4 photos that go next are much brighter. Aurora HDR relies on 0.0EV image, and that's why the issue occurs.  You might try setting Ghost Reduction on +4EV, however, we still recommend to shoot with anther setting, so the 0.0EV image is in the "middle"."

So, what I'm getting out of this is that Aurora HDR isn't capable of dealing with photos shot using Highlight Priority and custom EV adjustments for bracketed exposure.  Aurora HDR ONLY works if you use bracketing with the meter at 0EV, while using Multi-Metering.

Austin Miller, I've already contacted skylum.com/support and have not had a reply yet.  

I'm disappointed in the lack of customer service I'm experiencing from Skylum.  It seems as though Skylum employees are contracted to reply to forum posts, but nothing ever really gets fixed!

Angela Andrieux

Hi - We usually reply to ever message we get within 24 hours. I'll message our team and ask them to get back to you ASAP.

Margaret Bright

Hi Michael,

Please follow the instructions above to send us the files that you are working with. Our support team will be happy to take a look at the issue.

Please reach out to our support team via https://skylum.com/support

Hope to hear from you soon.

Please sign in to leave a comment.