Topaz Plugins and Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

26 comments

Victoria Grace

Hi Seth,

Please, try to reinstall the Topaz apps for them to re-appear in your Luminar 4 app.

If it doesn't help, please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can take a look at your particular case.

Comment actions Permalink
    Seth Lesser

Thanks for responding. I reinstalled both Topaz apps. Neither appear in Luminar 4.  I will contact Skylum support.  

Matthias Knape

I have the same problem.

Colin Grant

Would like to mention Topaz Mask AI shows up as a plugin to Luminar on my Mac but does not work. Having spoken to Topaz about this I am told it is not expected to work with Luminar or Lr other than as an internal plugin to Topaz Studio 2. It does work with Ps.

Gary Bushell

Any update on this Skylum? Topaz has stated most of their standalone AI applications should work as a plugin to Luminar 4... Like the others I can’t get them to show in the selectable list either. Can you fix this please? I have re-installed Luminar 4 and Topaz apps

Seth Lesser

HI.  I am the original poster.  And I have -- yes, I have -- gotten Topaz DeNoise AI and Sharpen AI to work as plugins to Luminar 4.  However, the process is not simple.  For some reason, Luminar 4 will not recognize the plugin files located in the applications folders themselves.  That's why when you try to add DeNoise or Sharpen as plugins by clicking on "Edit / Plug-ins / Other" and you navigate to the application files in Applications, you find nothing you can click on.  However, what you can do is add DeNoise or Sharpen as plugins to either Lightroom or Photoshop.  You can then navigate to the folders where those applications store plugins and find the Topaz plug-in alias files.  So, for example, when I added Sharpen AI as a plug in to Lightroom Classic, I then navigated to Library/Application Support/ Adobe / Plug-Ins / CC and there I find a plugin entitled TopazSharpenAI.plugin (which is actually an alias).  I then can copy that alias file and add it to anywhere in my Applications / Topaz Labs LLC / Topaz Sharpen AI folder [or really anywhere else you want since it is an alias] .  And, finally, I then can add that as a plug-in in Luminar 4 the way one would add any other plug (that is to say, by clicking in Luminar 4 on  "Edit / Plug-ins / Other" and clicking on the TopazSharpenAI.plugin.  It works!  [BTW there may be a way to find TopazSharpenAI.plugin without installing it in another program like PS or LR -- there probably is a way to look at the installation package for Sharpen and find it in there but that's not how I did it.).  Only issue, I think, is that if you update Luminar, you'll have to reinstall the plug-in.  BUT HAVING SAID ALL THAT, Sharpen and DeNoise can be invoked from within Luminar 4 and they work!  Which I love because I can now use both applications with Luminar and that's a remarkable workflow.  

Colin Grant

What is remarkable  about it?

Gary Bushell

Thanks Seth... I don’t use LR or PS, so hoping Skylum can sort this. It’s clearly possible and just needs an update to recognise the application plug ins properly.

Seth Lesser

Gary, I can see two ways that you can make it work.  First, I know there is a way to look at the inside contents of an application and by doing so you should be able to copy the plugin alias.  That would take some poking around; I do know somewhere I saw someone explaining exactly how to do with Topaz products.  The second way would be simply download a test trial of LR or PS, install it, get the plugin alias and you're fine.  Do copy that alias in a place or two to be safe.  When reinstalling Luminar after an upgrade, I think the alias might get deleted.  Finally, as to the remarkable workflow, it's just great (for me) to be able to open Luminar and send it off to Topaz to get improved before editing. Otherwise, Topaz is a pain because it will save files as .TIFFs or .DNGs and I don't like huge .TIFFS cluttering up space and Luminar doesn't work with .DNGs.  So, if I"m going to use Topaz and Luminar together, the only really practicable way is to have the Topaz apps be plugins in Luminar (or use LR and use both Topaz and Luminar as plugins but that, for me, is really slow. BTW, the one problem is that because of how Topaz saves files, you can' really use batch processing with Topaz and Luminar (because, as I just said, you end up with .TIFFS or .DNGs. 

Gary Bushell

Agree with your advice. I’ve actually mailed Topaz to see if they can get me the alias files, or instructions as to how. If not then I’ll download a trial LR and do it that way. Cheers.

Seth Lesser

Good luck.  Respond here is you succeed. I'm sure others might stumble upon this.

David Green

There is an excellent post on exactly how to get your Topaz plugin to work.  Follow these steps to find the plugin for Photoshop.  Then go to that location and add them into Luminar.   It worked perfect for me.                                https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040030051-Cannot-Access-Sharpen-AI-as-a-Plugin-from-Photoshop-2020-on-Mac-OS

Seth Lesser

David -- you found what I read and couldn't find again when I wrote that "I do know somewhere I saw someone explaining exactly how to do with Topaz products."  Yes, that does work just fine and avoids the need to install/try out PS or LR 

Darren McTee

Wow! Thank you SO much for posting the solution Seth and David. I followed the link David posted above. The instructions were not exact to my OS. There is no need to install LR/PS for this to work. I found it easier to navigate manually as follows:

(I'm using Topaz DeNoise AI as an example)

In Finder:

Select - Applications

Select - Topaz Labs LLC folder

Select -  "Topaz DeNoise AI" folder or the folder for the program you are wanting to use

Right click -  "Topaz DeNoise AI" program Icon.

Select - "Show Package Contents" in the submenu that pops up

Select - "Contents" folder

Select - "Resources" folder

Select - "PS_Plugins" folder

Copy - "TopazDeNoiseAI.plugin" (This is the key file you want that Luminar needs to navigate to)

Paste the copied file anywhere on your computer. (Drag and drop works too). I suggest an easy place you can remember. I created a named folder called "Luminar Plugins" specifically for these .plugin files to be stored. When the .plugin file is placed where you want it, open Luminar 4.

In Luminar follow this path in the top bar menu:

Edit/Plugins/Other/Open Plugin

Navigate to the folder that you placed the copied .plugin file into and select that file.

Voila! Topaz DeNoise AI will magically open as a plugin for Luminar.

You only have to do this once for each Topaz program you want to use. After the first time Luminar remembers where the .plugin file is and the desired program will be available. Follow the path Edit/Plugins/Topaz DeNoise AI (you will see the available programs to select for each program you have performed this process for.)

It's really very simple. The workflow with these tools available is VERY good!

I was considering dumping Luminar 4 because they can't get info out on how to do this or haven't fixed it in the program. Now I'm happy so thanks to all who posted the links to a solution!

Gary Bushell

Yes, once you realise Luminar won’t look past the Topaz xxxx AI folder the solution is easy from the instructions. I just dragged and dropped the plug-in file from the ‘show package contents’ folder it the plugin sits in, to the main Topaz xxxx AI folder.... Then it’s a simple look up from within Luminar.

Matthias Boon

Darren,

Many thanks for sharing your solution! I've been looking for this for a while now  :-)

The easiest way for fixing this issue for sure!

Flo Minton

Hi!

I used Darren's process and it worked perfectly for Topaz Studio 2, Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI but every time I try to open Adjust AI in either Luminar 3 or Luminar 4 the program crashes and restarts. Is there something unique about Adjust AI that it would not work in Luminar 3 or 4 as a plugin? Shame...It's my fav Topaz plugin so it figures that it won't run for me. Thanks again, Darren and anyone else that can add anything!

Flo Minton

ps...Luminar 3 and 4 opens the legacy plugin of Topaz Adjust 5 just fine. The problem happens with Adjust AI. Thanks!

Victoria Grace

Hi Flo,

For now, Luminar supports such third-party apps - https://prnt.sc/sitl4v

Regrettably, we're yet to implement the functionality allowing you to use Luminar 4 as a plugin for Adjust AI. Currently, our software works as a plugin only for software packages from Adobe and Apple. Nevertheless, I'll let our team know about your interest in this feature. 

Colin Grant

Presumably you are not talking about L4 acting as a plugin to Topaz AI but for Topaz AI acting as a plugin to L4? If so it worlks perfectly on my Mac version of Luminar. Lease clarify.

Many thanks

Flo Minton

Hi Colin. Thanks for asking for clarification. Yes, I am trying to use Topaz Adjust AI inside of Luminar  as  plug-in, not the other way around. The other two Topaz products - Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI - that I have installed as plug-ins Iluminar work perfectly  Adjust AI will not load in either Luminar 3 or 4 and crash the programs every I try to load Adjust AI. I am on a Mac running Catalina.

Just so you all know, I have also been unable to use the batch processing in Aurora HDR 2019 since I upgraded my Mac to Catalina in January. I have spent 3+ hours sending videos and screenshots to the Developers and they still have not remedied the problem. It appears that Aurora 2019 cannot read the RAW format of my Panasonic GX8 camera. It just spins and spins when I drag the images into the batch processor. Converting the files to DNG does not help. 

Now I can’t use Adjust AI in Luminar, too. Please don’t force me back to Adobe...

Kate Williams

Hi Flo,

Even though the support of Topaz Adjust AI is not officially documented, we still would like to check the crashes you're experiencing and report them to our tech department. 

Please email your crash reports at support@skylum.com 

1. Reproduce the crash > Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    3. Paste the following path: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click Go.
    4. In the folder that opens find the most recent files with Luminar 4 in their names and attach them to your email.

As for the issues with Aurora HDR - all the information you've provided was really helpful. We're aware of the reported issues but right now there's no ETA for the next update. 

Edward Killesteyn

Both Topaz Sharpen and Mask AI are shown as plugins to Luminar. When I invoke Topaz Sharpen as a plugin it works perfectly. The photo opens, I can adjust and then save back to Luminar. When I invoke Mask AI however, a dialogue box opens advising that a duplicate layer is required. After creating a duplicate layer and attempting to invoke Mask AI again with that duplicate layer, I continue to get the same message. Grateful any advice. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Edward,

At this time Luminar does not support the transparencies created by Mask AI.

Edward Killesteyn

Thank thank you for the prompt reply. It is appreciated. Can I seek clarification please. You say that Luminar does not support transparencies created in Mask AI. It may be my misunderstanding, but at the time I invoke Mask AI, nothing has been done to the photo. It is a raw photo without any processing done to it in either L4 or any other software. Cheers Ed

Angela Andrieux

Hi Ed,

Topaz Mask AI creates a mask that uses a transparent background (essentially the cutout of your chosen subject or the background, depending on your settings). The pixels around your cutout are transparent which in apps like Photoshop allows for you to place that cutout on top of another image to have that image show in those transparent areas.

Unfortunately, Luminar does not recognize masks created in 3rd party applications at this time.

I hope that helps - please let me know if I can offer further clarification.

Please sign in to leave a comment.