Undo

Answered

Comments

4 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Leroy,

Thank you for your feedback on the Undo tool. I'll share your suggestions with our developers for their consideration. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Ian Murrell

Leroy Schulz

Leroy, whilst it would certainly be nice to have an undo function for the masking, you mostly don't have to reset and start over.

You can just paint back the erased bit you don't actually want erased, or erase a painted in bit you don't actually want painted.

Leroy Schulz

Hi Ian,

You would think so but have you tried it?  It would be simple if it did work that way, but it doesn't appear to.

When you use the eraser brush -- which I do a lot -- the intensity of the eraser appears to change based on the size of the brush.  That's unlike Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.  I don't understand why that would be, but it's frustrating.  When I have a chance, I'll open a support ticket about this.

It's faster to reset and start over, event though that's very inefficient.

Ian Murrell

Leroy Schulz

Leroy,

I use masking in Luminar and other products a lot.. As you would know, at any opacity setting of less that 100%, overlapping paint brush strokes become additive,.and erase brush strokes subtractive, making the overlap areas of corrections perhaps a little more diffcult, and the amount of softness set can also add to that difficulty. To some extent overlap areas are still an issue even when there is an undo function.

I don't find the opacity varies with brush size. The attached screen shot shows the mask brush strokes in Luminar 4 against a white background at various sizes at (from left to right) 20% opacity, 50% opacity, 75% opacity and 100% opacity. All with softness set to 0.

For Sky replacement, I often use a composite mask. I start with a simple gradient mask set at the "horizon", and then use the brush to mask out where needed any protrusions into the sky area (for instance white roofs). If I slip and erase over into the sky area, which would in effect leave a halo, then I just repaint that area progressively with a fairly low opacity setting.

What I would like to see, in addition to an undo for masking, is a "shift" key option to draw a straight brush stoke between two points.

Please sign in to leave a comment.