Luminar 4.2 crash at startup

Answered

Comments

15 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Francesco,

Please try the following:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Locate your Luminar 4 Catalog folder. The default location is Pictures folder. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    3. Rename the Luminar 4 Catalog folder as well as Luminar 4 Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like.
    4. Open Finder.
    5. Navigate to Applications > Utilities.
    6. Launch Terminal.
    7. Paste the following string into Terminal: defaults delete com.skylum.luminar4 and press Enter on your keyboard.
    8. Paste the following string into Terminal: rm ~/Library/Group\ Containers/RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminar4/license.plist and press Enter on your keyboard.
    9. Close Terminal.
    10. Launch Luminar. Go through the initial setup. Leave the location of the catalog at the default (in Pictures folder).
    11. Activate Luminar 4 one more time. 

If the issue persists, please get in touch with our support team via https://skylum.com/support

Hope this helps!

Comment actions Permalink
    Alvaro Estrada

Once you go through all the steps, it creates a new catalog. At Setup; do I reference the re-named catalog (from step 3) or the new "standard" catalog name?

Kate Williams

Hi Alvaro - please try to input the new catalog name. 

It would also help a lot if you could specify the steps you did in the software before it crashed in your request. 

Martha Ebenstein

Same thing but running on Wndows 10. I was able to install it and activate it on Windows Sandbox. But that is a volatile environment. After trying to install the Luminar 4 update (4.2) I am completely unable to run Luminar 4 at all. Not 4.1, not 4.2. I get a "Welcome" screen and then it crashes without any message error. I have tried my own uninstall/deactivate/install resources but nothing works. I do not know how to reset the Luminar 4 Catalog in Windows 10 prior to reinstalling.

It crashes a few seconds after the previous splash screen.

Perfect launching within the Windows 10 Pro Sandbox.

Remco van Santen

I found that by using the uninstal option of Windows, that I was presented by the option of "repair" or "uninstal". I chose repair and Luminar starts normally. Fixed.

BTW Luminar was working until I upgraded it to a later version using the offline instal (the online does not work for me).

UPDATE.  I found that on restarting it, a message comes up saying, wiait for Windows to Update Luminar and then it fails again to start. 
    So I am back to square one with no start with version 4.2. 

Margaret Bright

Hi Martha,

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Locate your Luminar 4 Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Rename the Luminar 4 Catalog folder as well as Luminar 4 Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like. 
    • Start Luminar and choose to Create a New Catalog.

Please note that you should be able to re-open your previous catalog later via File > Catalog > Open.

Hi Remco,

If there are any updates for your Windows operating system, install them. Check this article if you need help with that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

If the issue persists and the error pops up again, please send a screenshot of the error to our support team so that they could investigate this issue. You can attach the screenshot to your request here: https://skylum.com/support

Remco van Santen

I ended up uninstalling the program, and having to use the off line installation to reinstal. Renaming the catalogue folder did not help.
    BTW I also could not update Luminar via the Help option whcih always told me that I had the latest version when I did not.

I disabled the firewalls and permissions of Norton to no avail. 

Thank you for your prompt response.

Margaret Bright

Hi Remco,

The issue that you are experiencing occurs due to the fact that the app cannot reach our servers for some reason.

If you have turned off your antivirus and firewall but it didn't help, check if your router has a firewall. If you have Unified Threat Management (UTM) software installed, it can also cause this error, and temporarily disabling it helps fix the issue.

If the issue persists, try an alternative Internet connection if possible - there may even be a built-in blocker on your Internet provider's side that blocks the connection. 

We would like to help you resolve this issue once and for all so that this would not be an issue during the next updates, so I urge you to reach out to our support team on this matter via this link: https://skylum.com/support

Please attach your Hosts file to your request for review. The file is located here: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

Hope to hear from you soon.

Philip Maynard

Thanks Margaret, renaming the catalogue folder and using the terminal worked for me.

Martin Ebueng

Hi, so I've tried doing your troubleshooting steps using a Mac. I currently have the latest version 4.2.0 and latest macOS Catalina and the problem still persists. I love using Luminar 4 but this is starting to get annoying. Do you have any fix for this?

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the issues you encountered.

Could you please advice if you tried these steps?

- Open Finder.
    - Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    - Paste the following path: ~/Library/Caches/SentryCrash/
    - In the folder that opens, locate Luminar 4 folder and delete it. 

If it does not help, please do the following:
    - Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    - Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.

If this still does not help, please, let us know via https://skylum.com/support

Martha Ebenstein

Martin, I posted in this thread before by mistake. Luminar 4.2 is running on Windows 10 now because I found a helpful guy who mentioned a problem with the graphic card driver. I had V22 for the Intel HD graphic card and had to downgrade it to V21. It is working fine now. Maybe you should try to figure out how to do something equivalent on a Mac.

Jeff Bryden

Worked absolutely perfect....  Also, my boot time is a lot less and everything is perfect...  Thanks...

Martha Ebenstein

This thing is out of control. I had been testing denoising with several software programs I installed and all I got was a storm of noise! How do I delete my posts here? Is it something wrong with my picture? Yes, I die my hair and I hope that does not break any photographers code of conduct! Celebrating my birthday on September 21.

Helga Hufflepuff

Dear Martha Ebenstein,

Sorry to hear you had issues with denoising tools. Can you please kindly clarify if the same happened when using Luminar 4? 

We would appreciate if you sent us some image examples to test on our end. Maybe there is something we can do about this.

Here's how you can send us the files:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request, which can be sent from here:

https://skylum.com/support 

Please sign in to leave a comment.