Luminar 4.2 crashes Windows PC everytime

Answered

Comments

93 comments

Barry Bloom

I have traded emails with support. As of yesterday; I have followed their uninstall-clean-reboot-reinstall instructions to the letter---and the same crash always occurs. If I open Luminar 4.2.0(5577) as stand-alone; when I click on a thumbnail to edit--it crashes the PC. If I open either Lightroom or Photoshop and go to Luminar--it crashes the PC. I emailed support again, asking for a link to install the previous version, offline. If you use their regular download link---it just connects to & downloads the most recent version, which has caused my problem. 2 days ago I was using the previous version of Luminar 4 without any issues.

Comment actions Permalink
    Jackson McLemore

Followed all these steps but my PC force reboots upon opening an edit in Lightroom, Photoshop, or the standalone version. Please remedy what is likely a very complex issue with a notice to "standby while we work on it" instead of these nonsense uninstall/reinstall wastes of time.

Barry Bloom

I posted the original complaint. 22 days later, after trying all suggested methods, still no solution.

Barry Bloom

Still can't get Luminar 4  to work without immediate crash. Here's what I did. Removed old Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (C: drive); replaced with new Samsung 860 EVO 1TB-new SSD. Did clean install (DID NOT clone or transfer old Windows onto new drive) Did clean install of Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Media Creation tool. Windows 10 Home ver.1909. Build 18363.815.

Did all Windows updates, all drivers installed & updated--totally new Windows-clean installation. Did not install my Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, or DxO Photolab 3. I downloaded Luminar 4 from your website, installed as Administrator. Opened 1 file as a thumbnail. When I clicked to get it to full sized the PC crashed to black screen & powered off. A full refund is in order--obviously no help will be forthcoming for my useless purchase of Luminar4, which worked fine until the last update.

Ping Hei Tse

Perhaps it’s more efficient and effective for Skylum to launch Luminar 5 (which I will not purchase) before they can fix the bug.

Xavier Niebla

No solution in Months after the report.

I exchanged a number of emails with Skylum support after multiple clean installations, Windows log analysis, etc their solution was to install version 4 that does not have the issue and they closed the ticket...

Really ridiculous that the solution is to use the older version.

Another reason to keep using Adobe LR and Capture1.

Ping Hei Tse

No A H, it’s more than three months. Now I consider this is a scam.

Barry Bloom

I removed all Skylum & Luminar folders from my PC, removed all Skylum & Luminar registry entries, turned off Malwarebytes & my VPN, closed all other running programs. I installed Luminar 4.3.0 (6175) and input the email & activation number from my purchase. The program window opens, showing the sample photo. As soon as I click any menu item  or the image thumbnail to edit, the PC shuts down & restarts. I repeated the remove, clean, reinstall several times. All attempts result in immediate PC crash & restart. I request a refund.

Xavier Niebla

Angela, it's not a "particular case", all of us that have commented on this thread have the same identical problem and Skylum just don't do something to fix it. Stop recommending us to contact the support team. I already exchanged n number of emails with the support team and it's pointless. The problem does not generate any logs or crash information where the support team expects to find the clue to fix it, this will not happen. Skylum should take this more seriously and reproduce the problem on a local PC, then work a solution.

Dave Dugdale

I have the same issue, 4.2 clashes each time, I have tried using CC cleaner, but no help.

I also uninstalled all my Adobe products and that did not help.

The last version was stable, I have tried to go back to it, but now that version clashes my computer each time.

I will try renaming the folder next.

I put in a support ticket.

Xavier Niebla

Anyone from Skylum that can comment or give any clue if this will be fixed someday?
    Should we just claim a refund or wait?
    It just doesn't work.

A H

Hi Kirk,

I've already been through support, sent many emails back and fourth, tried many different things including installing a previous version (which worked fine). In short, I've spent too much time on this already with no apparent resolution. The 4.2 version of the program crashes some machines with this chip, as reported by multiple users. There isn't anything that can be done on my end, it has all already been tried.

I was just trying to see if there has been a fix because it's been 3+ months since this has been reported and there has been no update on this thread.

Dave Dugdale

Support told me to revert back to an older version, they told me to wait for the next version.

I am here waiting patiently.....but I would like an update on when the new version comes out?

Lewis Rosa

Xavier I agree 1000%

Xavier Niebla

Support? Skylum has no support, they just keep repeating the same request to gather reports and system info but no solution. 
    They just don't care. 

This is why Adobe can charge in a couple of months what Skylum charges for a permanent license. You get what you pay.

Ping Hei Tse

I tried two methods found on the community including the one from Margaret above. All don't work at the end. Maybe its related t to the portrait tool since the last five reboots I was working on it. It's killing me as the reboot ruined the RAW file. The product is unusable at the moment. I hope it won't kill my PC...

stefane venturini

I have contacted to support and done all the above 'fixes' for this I have only had this issue with the newest update. is there a way I can use the luminar 3 program until this issue is resolved I am in the middle of editing photos for a friends wedding.

Xavier Niebla

Any solution to this problem?

It's unacceptable that my computer crashes every time I try to open the software just after doing the activation. 

Days pass and no solution, really incredible that Skylum does not care about mayor bugs. 

A H

I have the same processor as OP (Intel 4790K) and 32GB ram.

I installed the trial today to try out the software and I'm having the same problem - the program shuts down the PC. I installed without including the PS plugins. I've tried booting the PC and running nothing else but same result.

Uninstalled.

So...if this isn't fixed in 7 days, will I still get a trial of the software when (if) it is fixed?

Barry Bloom

I'm the OP--I've tried everything suggested by Support. I agree with AH. Nothing has worked.When can we expect a fix, or update to new version?

Barry Bloom

Helga Rowles response tell us that Skylum has NO IDEA how to fix the problem. If they did, they would not say "that if the issue you're encountering remains in the updated version, we will be able to refund your purchase regardless of the date it was made."

Dave Dugdale

Hello AH,

Perhaps I can help by giving my computer's info if that is helpful, (I also have this issue)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name 7960X
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU ASUS_MB_KBLX
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7960X CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1902, 6/28/2019
    SMBIOS Version 3.0
    Embedded Controller Version 255.255
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    BaseBoard Product PRIME X299-DELUXE
    BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
    Platform Role Desktop
    Secure Boot State Off
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume10
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
    Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
    Total Physical Memory 63.7 GB
    Available Physical Memory 51.8 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 73.2 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 57.1 GB
    Page File Space 9.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Kernel DMA Protection Off
    Virtualization-based security Not enabled
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Xavier Niebla

Agree with A H. Support doesn't even read the messages. We posted multiple times that reinstalling everything solves nothing, that there are no logs, that the GPU driver is already updated and they keep going with the same default answers. The next support reply will be to ensure the PC is plug to AC and Windows is running. 

Lewis Rosa

I have a Intel 9900k with 32gb of Ram and a RTX 2070 running windows 10 pro and I have the same issue I'll be editing a photo and the computer will completely shut down as if someone held the power button and I have to manually restart it.. I just purchased this app and now this.. it is getting frustrating how can I revert to older version to see if that works?

Lewis Rosa

Barry, Same exact thing here as well upgraded to 4.3.0 (6175) and but mine it will load one of my images and then just adjusting some of the sliders the computer will crash and reboot..ran a full computer diagnostic on my memory, processor, video card with no issues detected I even used windows sandbox mode and the software crashes in that as well... So it's definitely a software issue somewhere...

John Doe

Kate, 

Gave up with support, they had no solutions...

Micheal Olver

So, I just upgraded from Luminar 3 to Luminar 4, and guess what?! I opened the program, converted my catalog, and clicked a photo to edit it...and you guessed it, now I'm here, because my PC crashed immediately.  Of course a quick google search brought me here, and I see many others with the same problem. I am a computer expert, so tomorrow I will look deeper into this, as it's 2:50am here.  I will see if I can find a rhyme or reason, but if not, I will definitely be looking for a refund. Totally unacceptable to find out after I purchased Luminar 4, that this problem goes back back months for everyone, and I read all the threads and not one person got a reply that fixed the issue.  Anyhow, my system is rock solid, never restarts, and I play 4k games on it often, so yea here's my PC stats if it helps, but I doubt it.

Win 10 Home

4790K (Not overclocked)

Power profile - 100%

Samsung SSD

32GB RAM

Luminar 4.3.0

EVGA RTX 2060 SC - (Latest Drivers)

A H

Blue screen is one thing, but I've been trying to remember the last time I saw a program just turn off a machine. I think it was back when we were all downloading sketchy programs off dial-in BBS systems using Windows 95.

Julien Leheurteur

Hi,

I'm a new user on Luminar since last saturday and I'm affected to this crappy thing...

Since 3 days my pc crashed 3 times while trying to edit photo on Luminar from Lightroom.

The PC shutdown and auto restart.

And when I open again lightroom and Luminar, guess what ? My licence is gone ! Luminar is telling me about trial period ! I have to activate it again with my licence key.

How can I ask for a refund ? I've noticed that I'm not the only one and that this issue is there since many months without any solution !

I have built a 4 000€ pc, never crashed, it's really pissing me off when my computer crash like this !

I spent 229€ for a software that's killing my computer ! what the hell if wrong with this ??!!

Matthew Brooks

Hey everyone,

I can assume we all know why we are here. Luminar 4 crashes. I have been using this app for a few months now and only today did it crash (over and over again). I already submitted my crash reports and read everything here. i did all the steps listed above. My problem does not shut the computer off but it just crashes the application. Really quite a bummer because I like this thing but its broken now. It worked on my wife's 8gb Surface Pro 4...but not my behemoth 36gb ram photo editor cpu. I was literally using it today, exported a project, moved into the next project for it to implode on me. Keep me posted yall!

Please sign in to leave a comment.