Luminar 4.2 crashes Windows PC everytime

Answered

Comments

93 comments

Victoria Grace

Hi Barry,

Please, try reinstalling Luminar. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall Luminar.

How to uninstall an app on Windows 10 (click this text to open link).

Clear your registry:

• Visit https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download?pc
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the table and click Download from CCleaner.com in the first column.
    • Once the download has finished, launch the file and install CCleaner on your computer.
    • Launch CCleaner.
    • Click Registry on the left.
    • Click Scan for Issues in the lower left. Wait for the scan to finish.
    • After the scan has finished, click Fix Selected Issues in the lower right.
    • Close CCleaner.

Reboot your PC.

Download the latest version of Luminar from here:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

If the issue persists, please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support.

Comment actions Permalink
    Xavier Niebla

I have the same processor, same Windows version, exactly the same issue; as soon as Luminar 4.2 starts the PC shutdowns and auto-restarts. Will try the suggested solution and comment. 

Barry Bloom

I have traded emails with support. As of yesterday; I have followed their uninstall-clean-reboot-reinstall instructions to the letter---and the same crash always occurs. If I open Luminar 4.2.0(5577) as stand-alone; when I click on a thumbnail to edit--it crashes the PC. If I open either Lightroom or Photoshop and go to Luminar--it crashes the PC. I emailed support again, asking for a link to install the previous version, offline. If you use their regular download link---it just connects to & downloads the most recent version, which has caused my problem. 2 days ago I was using the previous version of Luminar 4 without any issues.

Jackson McLemore

Followed all these steps but my PC force reboots upon opening an edit in Lightroom, Photoshop, or the standalone version. Please remedy what is likely a very complex issue with a notice to "standby while we work on it" instead of these nonsense uninstall/reinstall wastes of time.

Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

If the solution offered above did not work, please try the following:

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Locate your Luminar 4 Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Rename the Luminar 4 Catalog folder as well as Luminar 4 Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like. 
    • Start Luminar and choose to Create a New Catalog. 

Please note that you should be able to re-open your previous catalog via File > Catalog > Open later.

If the issue persists, please get in touch with our support team via https://skylum.com/support so that they could take a deeper look at the issue.

Ping Hei Tse

I tried two methods found on the community including the one from Margaret above. All don't work at the end. Maybe its related t to the portrait tool since the last five reboots I was working on it. It's killing me as the reboot ruined the RAW file. The product is unusable at the moment. I hope it won't kill my PC...

Anastasia Davis

Ping Hei Tse Hi!  In this case, please reach our support team directly and we will investigate your issue: https://skylum.com/support

Dave Dugdale

I have the same issue, 4.2 clashes each time, I have tried using CC cleaner, but no help.

I also uninstalled all my Adobe products and that did not help.

The last version was stable, I have tried to go back to it, but now that version clashes my computer each time.

I will try renaming the folder next.

I put in a support ticket.

Hi there,  I’m new to Luminar, bought and installed this month, first on my iMac then a couple of days ago on my windows laptop.

Initially I used it standalone on the laptop and it was slow but no crashes. Today I opened an image in Photoshop then opened Luminar as a filter. It was all very slow but I did manage to use Luminar and eventually get back to Photoshop and carried on editing but the system slowly ground to a halt. Unfortunately, the end result is a laptop which won’t even boot.

1.  Please can you assure me that I won’t get similar issues on my iMac.

2. Please can you suggest how I might bring my laptop back to life.

3. Please can you let me know whether the Luminar 4.2 issues will resolved in the near future.

Angela Andrieux

Hi - Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can investigate the case with your Windows laptop. Looking forward to hearing from you!

stefane venturini

I have contacted to support and done all the above 'fixes' for this I have only had this issue with the newest update. is there a way I can use the luminar 3 program until this issue is resolved I am in the middle of editing photos for a friends wedding.

Victoria Grace

Hi Stefane,

Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and our support team will come with something for you for sure.

Xavier Niebla

Any solution to this problem?

It's unacceptable that my computer crashes every time I try to open the software just after doing the activation. 

Days pass and no solution, really incredible that Skylum does not care about mayor bugs. 

Barry Bloom

I posted the original complaint. 22 days later, after trying all suggested methods, still no solution.

Barry Bloom

Still can't get Luminar 4  to work without immediate crash. Here's what I did. Removed old Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (C: drive); replaced with new Samsung 860 EVO 1TB-new SSD. Did clean install (DID NOT clone or transfer old Windows onto new drive) Did clean install of Windows 10 Home from Microsoft Media Creation tool. Windows 10 Home ver.1909. Build 18363.815.

Did all Windows updates, all drivers installed & updated--totally new Windows-clean installation. Did not install my Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, or DxO Photolab 3. I downloaded Luminar 4 from your website, installed as Administrator. Opened 1 file as a thumbnail. When I clicked to get it to full sized the PC crashed to black screen & powered off. A full refund is in order--obviously no help will be forthcoming for my useless purchase of Luminar4, which worked fine until the last update.

Ping Hei Tse

Perhaps it’s more efficient and effective for Skylum to launch Luminar 5 (which I will not purchase) before they can fix the bug.

Xavier Niebla

Anyone from Skylum that can comment or give any clue if this will be fixed someday?
    Should we just claim a refund or wait?
    It just doesn't work.

Austin Miller

Hi all! We are working on fixing this issue now! Please reach us via skylum.com/support so we can investigate the issue!

A H

I have the same processor as OP (Intel 4790K) and 32GB ram.

I installed the trial today to try out the software and I'm having the same problem - the program shuts down the PC. I installed without including the PS plugins. I've tried booting the PC and running nothing else but same result.

Uninstalled.

So...if this isn't fixed in 7 days, will I still get a trial of the software when (if) it is fixed?

Angela Andrieux

Hi AH,

Absolutely! Just email us at support@skylum.com after the next update and we'll be happy to reset your trial.

A H

Is there any update on this issue?

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will be glad to help you.

Xavier Niebla

No solution in Months after the report.

I exchanged a number of emails with Skylum support after multiple clean installations, Windows log analysis, etc their solution was to install version 4 that does not have the issue and they closed the ticket...

Really ridiculous that the solution is to use the older version.

Another reason to keep using Adobe LR and Capture1.

A H

Hi Kirk,

I've already been through support, sent many emails back and fourth, tried many different things including installing a previous version (which worked fine). In short, I've spent too much time on this already with no apparent resolution. The 4.2 version of the program crashes some machines with this chip, as reported by multiple users. There isn't anything that can be done on my end, it has all already been tried.

I was just trying to see if there has been a fix because it's been 3+ months since this has been reported and there has been no update on this thread.

Barry Bloom

I'm the OP--I've tried everything suggested by Support. I agree with AH. Nothing has worked.When can we expect a fix, or update to new version?

Dave Dugdale

Support told me to revert back to an older version, they told me to wait for the next version.

I am here waiting patiently.....but I would like an update on when the new version comes out?

Ping Hei Tse

No A H, it’s more than three months. Now I consider this is a scam.

Helga Rowles

Hi!
    The update is expected to be released in July.

Let me please assure you that if the issue you're encountering remains in the updated version, we will be able to refund your purchase regardless of the date it was made.

Barry Bloom

Helga Rowles response tell us that Skylum has NO IDEA how to fix the problem. If they did, they would not say "that if the issue you're encountering remains in the updated version, we will be able to refund your purchase regardless of the date it was made."

Kate Williams

Hi Barry,

We're yet to determine what exactly causes this particular crash. However, there will be some stability fixes in place that will target the related areas and could eliminate this issue. 

We're adding more informative logging to 4.3.0 which will help us to pinpoint the core of the crashes more easily and thus address them more effectively.  

We're not abandoning this case by any means, and we'll do everything possible to get rid of it. 

One of our customers reported that he was able to fix the issue this way (direct quote below)

• "Reinstalled the graphics card drivers
    • Installed the latest drivers from the manufacturer.
    • When installing, moved the RAM module 1x 8 GB from memory bank 2 to memory bank 1.
    • All BIOS and Windows power management set all power parameters to full power.
    • Luminar 4 reinstalled and the catalog folder deleted and recreated.
    After that, the loading and editing of the pictures worked" 

I'd suggest starting off  with the reinstallation of GPU drivers,  updating all the drivers in your system and choosing a high-performance power plan: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000211304-How-to-enable-the-High-performance-power-plan-Windows- 

Please sign in to leave a comment.