Answered

Comments

37 comments

• Official comment
    Elena Blum

Hi,

To get the app up and running, please try the following: 

- Open Finder.
    - Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    - Paste the following path: ~/Library/Caches/SentryCrash/
    - In the folder that opens, locate Luminar 4 folder and delete it. 

Here is the video tutorial that may also be helpfulhttps://www.loom.com/share/dda8e5ae8bf2498abb3334a34dc15cb5 

If the issue persists, let's try restoring from backup: 

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.
    Comment actions Permalink
    Victoria Grace

Hi,

Please, try the following solution:

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Locate your Luminar 4 Catalog folder. The default location is %username%\Pictures\.  If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Rename the Luminar 4 Catalog folder as well as Luminar 4 Catalog.luminar file inside this folder. Choose any name you like. 
    • Start Luminar. 
    The app will open without catalog, and you will be able to either create a new catalog via File > Catalog > New or to open an image for single edits.

Londinense

I am having a similar issue (I posted a new thread but it hasn't been approved yet). Does creating a new catalogue mean that all ones previous edits are lost?

Victoria Grace

No, you won't lose your edits, you'll still be able to open your old catalog via File > Catalog > Open.

Jason Nguyen

I'm having the same problem. I have done the fix, but it happened again within 5 minutes of me using the program. Please advise.

Jason Nguyen

Update, seems to only happen when I have an external monitor attached. If I disconnect the monitor and perform the above fix, Luminar works fine.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Jason! In case the issue remains,please try reinstalling Luminar. We recommend doing a full uninstall with AppCleaner. AppCleaner is a free app that automatically removes not only applications but also the related files, making 'clean' uninstall easy.

If it doesn't help, you can restore your catalog from backup: 

1. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.
    Jason Nguyen

Thanks, let me give that a try.

Jason Nguyen

It worked well for about 2 weeks, but then just today, same problem...

Victoria Grace

Hi Jason,

Have you tried to restore your Luminar 4 from back up using the Option key, as suggested above?

Jason Nguyen

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your help. I tried the above work around and it worked for a bit, but then I ran into the problem again last night. ..

I really enjoy using Luminar when everything is working properly, but the product has been so buggy this last few months.

May I please request a refund and my Service Key be nullified?

Thank you,
    -Jason

Austin Miller

Hi Jason,

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have.

Could you please try the following: 

• Open Finder.
    • Click Go in the top menu > click Go to Folder.
    • Paste the following path: ~/Library/Caches/SentryCrash/
    • In the folder that opens, locate Luminar 4 folder and delete it. 

Let us know how it goes.

Richard Culverwell

Thanks Austin. 

I have started to have the same crash problems described here and your suggestion of deleting the Luminar 4 Folder has at least allowed me to open Luminar again. 

When do you expect an update to address the stability of this program.

Richard

Helga Rowles

Hi Richard, we implement performance and stability improvements with every update, so please stay tuned!

If you need further assistance, please contact us at skylum.com/support, we will be happy to help.

Chase B.

Hey Luminar team, add me to the list. I'm having the same problem. Luminar 4 froze, then crashed. I can't open it. It's stuck in an infinite loop of crashing. I just deleted it with app cleaner and about to reinstall. I have to say, I do like the Luminar product, but this is (by far) not the first time I've had major issues with bugs and had to contact forums and support for help. Last time, I had to uninstall catalina on my mac and downgrade OS. That was a MAJOR pain in the butt. 

I'm on the edge of abandoning luminar and somewhat reluctantly rejoining the adobe world. I don't know why there have been so many issues with Luminar's performance, but I've been all over the threads. So many bugs and issues and no easy fix for these things. I'm in the middle of a job and once again losing valuable time troubleshooting my software to find out why it won't work. I used lightroom for several years before Luminar. Not once did I ever have to consult forums or customer service for bug issues. 

How many times can I tell clients that there's a delay in returning their images because my software doesn't work. Maybe Luminar is just meant for hobbyists? and not quite ready for professionals?  

Jason Nguyen

Hi Austin,

Thanks for the work around. It again worked for about 2 days and then it crashed.

I simply cannot spend anymore time doing very cumbersome workarounds. This is negatively impacting my photo editing process and is causing strain to my clients.

I would please like a full refund so I can purchase another photo editing tool.

To be clear, I don't want another work around, I want a refund.

Thank you,
    -Jason

Victoria Grace

Hi guys,

Chase B. We've just emailed you, please, check your inbox.

Jason Nguyen Please, reach us via support@skylum.com and we'll proceed with a refund right away.

Mihaly Horvath

Hello Skylum Team,

I have encountered the same problem today, Luminar 4 crashed while I was using it and I am not able to reopen the application.

Please advise how I can resolve the problem!

Thanks,

Mihaly

Mihaly Horvath

Actually I tried what Austin suggested above (thanks Austin) and it worked, but I assume it is temporary based on the comments above, so I would very much appreciate an update asap to eliminate recurring issue.

Thank you very much in advance,

Mihaly

Gary Bushell

This problem is happening continuously since the last Mac OS update. I have never, ever had to contact a software/application company as much as I do Skylum, it’s becoming a joke.

Also, Skylum seems disinterested in actually fixing any issues, the same old sticking plasters come out every time:

1. Send us a recording... What? Seriously? I’m not you Tech Team!
    2. Deinstall and Reinstall, we recommend.... Oh here we go again, the millionth time I’ve had to uninstall and reinstall this Application. It solves nothing, how does reinstalling the same program and core code solve any issue? It doesn’t!
    3. Restore from backup... See above, only this time also lose some of your work.
    4. Finally an admission that an OS update has caused the Luminar stability to seriously deteriorate (again) and none of the previous points actually do anything to rectify that.

When is Skylum going to get serious about being an effective software company in the photo editing space? I never once had to contact any other company in this space. It’s become a bad joke and I’m pretty much over it.

What are you doing about it Skylum?

Chase B.

@garybushell

I feel the same way. I really want Luminar to work, but the problems and issues are so frequent. I’m starting to wonder if I should switch to capture one. Never used it, but read good things. I don’t want to go back to adobe if I can avoid it.

Gary Bushell

@Chase B.

Exactly where I’m at! With Skylum I feel like an Alpha Tester and also responsible for sorting my own patching... They wheel out the same support answers every time and the real problem disappears into a hole and is never actually sorted.

Capture One will be my next step and a full refund on Luminar 4 if this isn’t sorted. I’ll also post my experiences with Skylum on all my social media. It took them 6 emails yesterday (after the usual repeats of uninstall/reinstall etc etc) to admit there is a problem with Luminar 4 crashing on latest Mac OS... But absolutely no reassurance something was being done about it!

Skylum is literally the only company ever that has asked me once, let alone multiple times, to uninstall and reinstall its software... Let alone the other suggestions.

Skylum, please sort this out and provide a timetable to proper patching from you, not your users, that will sort these issues. What are you doing about this?

Anastasia Davis

Gary Bushell Chase B. Hi guys! These issues should be fixed in the next update. It will be available quite soon. Please stay tuned!

Gary Bushell

Thank you Anastasia... I hope so. When it works Luminar 4 is great, but recently I’ve spoken with your Support Team more than my own family!

‘Please’ in future when a known a bug or issue has presented due to a Mac OS update or similar, the Support Desk should just answer to that effect, rather than the whole waste of time on uninstall, reinstall, new catalog etc etc it’s not helpful, doesn’t resolve any issue and just creates frustration. If I’d just been told it’s an issue created from an OS update and a new version patch will be released soon, I’d have totally accepted that.

Pramod Rimal

I am having the same problem again and again in my MAC. Its so annying.. I really want to use it for long run. There should be some stability fixing.

Repeating the same process again and again is so annoying.

Thanks

Pramod

Gary Bushell

Yes, this is getting worse and worse! Anastasia (Skylum) when is the patch being released you promised? This should’ve been released as a priority by your developers, not part of other updates!

Helga Rowles

Hi Gary - we don't have an official release date yet, but we hope to ship it in the near future.

Wolfgang Jarcik

stay tuned ...... stay tuned ...... stay tuned ..... I can no longer hear or read it. Fixes are only promised again and again, but for months there has not been an update that only fixes the smallest bug. Weeks ago it was called "by the end of the month" and now it says "we don't have an official release date yet, but we hope to ship it in the near future." Unbelievable how they treat customers - still customers.

Dmitrii B

WTF!

My Luminar 4 does not start.
    It crashes at startup.
    When will you fix this?

Apostolos Zorbas

This has happened only once in the past, but in the last 4 days, it happened 7 times! This is seriously annoying and doesn't help at all. Luminar4 is already quite slow for my laptop, but I chose to work with it because it's easy to handle. Now it doesn't seem so.

This has to be fixed soon.

Please sign in to leave a comment.