New Luminar 4.2 Update: New Tools Turn Luminar Into a Creative Powerhouse

Comments

96 comments

Stanford Thornton

It looks to be worst when used as plugin for lightroom and photoshop.  It not as bad as a standalone, but still does it.

Comment actions Permalink

I've tried the install from the link above 

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

Offered to "Repair" so I used that.

Still prompted me for Activation.  I went to my online account and Reset licenses.

I've activated and it's showing one licence for Mac but my PC is definitely Windows!

And I still have to Activate each time I start the program.

Victoria Grace

Hi,

May I ask you reach us via https://skylum.com/support for our techs to help you solve this issue?

Jon Bish

Did a complete uninstall, registry included, Reinstalled... Same issues... Can someone please provide 4.1.1 offline installer... As it stands program is unusable...

Thank you

Gerald Johnson

I used Ivacy VPN and connected to Japan.  I was then able to install 4.2 with no issues.  I tried all the above and none of it worked.

Jon Bish

@ Victoria

Hi guys,

You may try using the offline installers if you've faced the update issue:

Win OS:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

Mac OS:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4.dmg

Speaking of the graphics and performance problems you've mentioned above, please, reach us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can take a look at your particular case. Thanks!

This does not resolve any issues with current version... 

Regards

Margaret Bright

J Bish,

Please find the offline installers for Luminar 4.1.1. below:

For MacOS: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4_411.dmg

For Windows:https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_411.exe

Gerald,

Have you tried the offline installers provided by Victoria? If the issue persists, I urge you to get in touch with our support team via https://skylum.com/support so that they could take a deeper look at the issue and help you resolve it.

Thomas Hugel

Whenever I change a control such as brightness or colors or perform another action, the zoom of the image changes. With this version it is no longer possible to edit photos.

Stanford Thornton

That is the same problem I'm having.  It's worst when used as plugin for Lightroom or Photoshop.  I'm working with support on problem.  I've removed and replaced video drivers for GeForce GTX 1060 video with 6GB of ram, this was no help.  I'm running Windows 10 on a MSI gaming laptop.  I had no problems with V4.1.1

Mike Leslie

I have a Luminar catalog with 1981 images and it takes 3.5 minutes to have images display at the end of the browse when I scroll to the bottom of the grid then watching task manager process after 5 minutes it is using on average 60%CPU, to do same task in LR classic with 45,914 images, from start to scrolling to last image in the grid 54.16 seconds.  I have the solution, they can release Luminar 5, add some some stupid tool which pro's do not want or need, and charge us a ghastly amount for upgrade, BUT not fix any of the problems.  At this rate Skylum will never be able to compete with LR or Capture One.    

Mike Leslie

I forgot to add support said uninstall and reinstall, suprise no change

Stanford Thornton

I just got an email from support about the graphics problem with V4.2.  They said they have no answer for the problem, but they will be working on it.  They said to use Ver 4.1.1.  We will see if this gets fixed or not time will tell.

Stanford Thornton

I noticed something, when you turn the mouse wheel the zoom jumps all over.  All the other programs I have Lightroom, Photoshop, on1 Photo Raw, Topaz Denoise and Shapen AI don't do jump or zoom.  This maybe an idea of a link to the problem.

This is only an idea and something I saw.

Jon Bish

"Stanford Thornton

I just got an email from support about the graphics problem with V4.2.  They said they have no answer for the problem, but they will be working on it.  They said to use Ver 4.1.1.  We will see if this gets fixed or not time will tell."

Got an email as well referring to graphics driver, I just built this rig, all drivers,software are  current and newly installed... Also did not have an issue with 4.1.1... But now cannot reinstall 4.1.1 because when ;launching it gives a database error and force closes.... So basically stuck with a non-usable paid for program... Not happy

J Bish
    Thomas Hugel

At this point I have updated my graphics card drivers. Now Luminar doesn't start anymore. Not 4.2 or 4.1.1 .  That's crazy.

Stanford Thornton
    1. J Bish see if this helps.

1. Reboot your computer.
    2. Locate your Luminar Catalog folder. The default location is C:\Users\UserName\Pictures\. If you specified a custom location for Luminar Catalog folder, search your custom location.
    3. Remove the Luminar Catalog folder.
    4. Start Luminar. This time it should open without errors.
    5. When adding an image folder to your Luminar catalog, specify another folder with photos (not the one you pointed Luminar to before encountering the error
    Jon Bish

Stanford Thornton,

Thank you... That worked... Appreciated

J Bish

Kate Williams

@Thomas Hugel, please email us at support@skylum.com and attach your event logs. 

1. Try to start the app. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email. 

As for the issue with UI and 'jumping' of the photo - that's currently under investigation of our development team. We'll let you know once we have an update. 

Justin Bonaparte

I have the bug where every time I run Luminar 4.2 I have to enter my activation code.

Justin Bonaparte

OK, so I tried the 4.1.1 offline installer and the bug went away, so I think the activation bug is specific to 4.2. In 4.1.1 it continues to nag me every time I open the app about upgrading to 4.2, wish there were a way to turn that off. I then upgraded to 4.2 from within the app (no external installer). The bug returned on upgrading.

Jon Bish

Any updates ??

This is a complete fing JOKE. upgrade doesnt work, try downgrading back to 4.1 and that doesnt work. Ony version that works is the HACKED version. I've been in email contact with Luminar support and they have no clue.

I want a refund. These guys are no help. All they got is asking you do copy paste an error report..ok Then what!? Luminar 4.1 worked fine until i tried upgrading to 4.2. Turns out the damn upgrade link wasn't even 4.2, it was still 4.1 what the hell!

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Anthony,

Sorry to hear about your experience with Luminar 4. Please, note that event logs we request help us to find what exactly causes the issue. Once we know the reason, we can find a solution. I sent you an e-mail to your e-mail address. Will do our best to help. Thanks!

Stanford Thornton

My last connect with support was March 26.  They said they were working on the zooming problem with Ver. 4.2.  I haven't received any more email from them.  I guess they have had no luck fixing the problem with the Windows version.  I'm very disappointed I cannot use software I payed for.  It looks like to me if problem was not in ver 4.1.1, then the problem showed up in Ver 4.2 should point to the problem.

Elena Blum

Hi Stanford,

I've just sent you an email!

Stanford Thornton

Thank you for the email, I disable the Nahimic services and uninstall it.  It fixed the problem, again thank you.

Zauberer De Pasco

Not usable! I bought this software because the features of the version 4 seemed to be outstanding.

On a mac with 8GB RAM it runs okay - not fast but okay. But on a windows PC with 12GB RAM it's a complete nightmare!
    It uses up to 90% system resources just to render one image! And no: I don't use 20 filters. Just 3 or 4 of them. The batch processing takes hours for jus 200 images.

I have an i3 with 2.4 GHz and 12GB RAM and nothing works!
    When I use affinity photo it is fast as hell compared to luminar!

Sorry but this is the worst piece of software I have ever seen. Fix it asap! Or loose all your (windows) customers!

Also: still no way to work with transparency of pngs. Can't export transparent background of batch processing pngs!

Anastasia Davis

Zauberer De Pasco Hi! Please note that the minimum requirement for Luminar 4 is i5. You noted that you have i3. Thus, it seems to be an issue. Please reach our support team so we look into your case with full system info.

Jon Bish

Following a email from support for windows based users... and some more research about the issue... It may not work for everyone and is basically a band-aide for the program issue , but it did in my case...

Type in Windows 10 search bar Task Manager

Once opened click on services and scroll down looking for nahimicservice.exe If is in services, disable it... Reboot computer...

This driver seems to be bundled with many manufacturers sound applications/enhancement programs, in my case it was from Asus and Realtek... - Sonic Radar III and - Sonic Studio III + Sonic Studio Link... I was able to get rid of the applications and all associated files... By installing a sound card in my system... Most will not be able to as they are using onboard sound devices... If able to uninstall the sound enhancement programs and just use the drivers for your sound device... for uninstalling I used Wise Uninstaller and Guru 3d Driver uninstalller... Anyway, hopefully my ramblings are understandable and helpful to any who try this...

Regards,

J Bish

Please sign in to leave a comment.