New Luminar 4.2 Update: New Tools Turn Luminar Into a Creative Powerhouse

Pinned

Comments

32 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

If you're having trouble with the update, please try using one of the offline installers:

Windows:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

Mac:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4.dmg

If that doesn't resolve your issue, please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can take a look at your particular case.

Please keep in mind that messages get buried/lost in long forum threads. This is why we ask that you contact us directly so we can better track and resolve any issues you might be experiencing. Thanks!!

Comment actions Permalink
    John Robinson

I appreciate the efforts of Skylum to bring a smile to our faces with this version and the free live webinars. Now I can put a giraffe in the sky - Luminar dropped it on the horizon and it looks great.

I would like the same desire to make Mac users smile by resolving the ongoing issue of Local Sky Images freezing Luminar 4 when trying to save the edited image to Apple Photos. I did manage to put a local image of a bus in the sky using 4.2 but subsequent attempts failed so it seems to have the same bug as the previous version.

Go on, really make me smile and fix this bug!

Austin Miller

Hi John. We are working around the clock to fix this issue! Please stay tuned.

Joel Waxman

What is the latest build number for Luminar 4.2? Mine says (6124).

Richard Hughes

I get an "error occurred in retrieving update information. please try later" message every time I try and update on a Mac. 

Joel Waxman

I got the same

Kenneth Sky

Me too. I had the same problem updating to 4.1 on mu iMac. Alina sent me a link to a workaround site but this is so frustrating. Why aren't you beta testing with actual customers?

Russ Schubert

I got the same error.

Dave D.

Be careful with 4.2.0. Crashed twice on me today. Neither instance repeatable. 

Joel Waxman

I have been getting this error from the time I installed ver4. Support kept telling me to remove it using App Cleaner then update. But that lost my libraries links. I then was given a link to use that is the same as the update link. Works that way. What is the latest version number for Mac version?

Dave D.

Latest I see as of today is Version 4.2.0 (6124)

(FWIW I'm not using it as a plugin for Photos nor trying to insert a local image for sky. My reply regarding crashing was only in response to the 4.2 announcement update itself. One crash was during export to jpeg, another was when clicking on an image. Just random stuff I could successfully do again later--same task, same images later.)

John Robinson

@Austin Miller

Forgive me for saying that I take Skylum's communication with a grain of salt (pinch of salt to the English). I paid for Luminar 4 in July 2019, so Skylum must have started work on the version by then, I took delivery of Version 4 in November 2019, and 4.2 this week. If any of my IT staff would have said they'd been "working around the clock to fix an issue" and hadn't fixed it after at least four months, I would have shown them the door.

I don't think Skylum's leaders are weak so presume over the last four months, the IT people have spent their time putting a giraffe on an English skyline. Quite an achievement. Neil Armstrong would be impressed. Skylum imagination at its best.

Still, family and friends are amused by my image of a very large giraffe guarding what's left of Knaresborough Castle (Yorkshire, England). The giraffe is now bathed in Rainbow 2 from Augmented Sky. And they do like satire!

I can work around the Apple Photos extension problem for now. But Skylum's credibility is on a downward spiral.

Joel Waxman

Angela, I thought I was the only one with the error when trying to update, and I guess I was wrong. It is time that this problem be addressed.  I am thankful the link to download the latest is available.  Now if it wasn't for the email about the new release I would never know, as the app in my case doesn't notify me.

Kenneth Sky

Angela,

I followed your instructions and it works. Thank you for followup but please, for next update get a few customers as beta testers.

Ken

Russ Schubert

Angela

The instructions and link you provided worked.  Thank you

Hi,

The new function "AI Augmentend Sky" was very successful. However, the performance has become significantly worse compared to version 4.1. On my iMac (3.2 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB, 1TB Fusion Drive) all filters run very tough, the "AI Augmentend Sky" very jerky.
    In addition, I had hoped that in a new version the German name in the filter "Vignetting - Select topic" would be renamed to "Vignetting - Place center".
    I hope for a quickly delivered version 4.2.1, which runs much faster.

Uwe

-----

Die neue Funktion "AI Augmentend Sky" ist sehr gut gelungen. Allerdings ist die Performance gegenüber der Version 4.1 deutlich schlechter geworden. Auf meinem iMac (3,2 GHz i5, 8GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB, 1TB Fusion Drive) laufen alle Filter sehr zäh, das "AI Augmentend Sky" sehr ruckelig.
    Zudem hatte ich gehofft, dass in einer neuen Version die deutsche Bezeichnung im Filter "Vignetierung - Thema auswählen" in "Vignetierung - Mittelpunkt platzieren" umgenannt wird.
    Ich hoffe auf eine zügig nachgelieferte Version 4.2.1, die deutlich schneller läuft.

Uwe

How can I go back to 4.1?

Myra Posner

I updated to 4.2 on my iMac, OS Sierra. Until today I have never had problems with any version of Luminar. I have them all. But I am having a ton of problems. I am using Lightroom 6. At first Luminar 4.2 wouldn’t open a file from Lightroom or directly into L4 not as a plug-in. I finally got files to open. I worked on a photo in L4 and when applied, it went into Lightroom, but when I went to export it to mail, the photo reverted back to the original even though I was on the fixed photo.

I have a much newer Mac Book Pro, but I am afraid to update to L4.2 on it after my experience on my old Mac.

Margaret Bright

Uwe,

Please find the offline installers for Luminar 4.1.1. below:

For MacOS: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4_411.dmg

For Windows:https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline_411.exe

Myra,

We need to be able to take a deeper look at the issue you have experienced. It would help if you could provide us with a screen recording of the issue.

Here's how to record a screen on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the support request here: https://skylum.com/support

Hope to hear from you soon.

Dave D.

Something else has once again gone wrong with either the app or a prefs file.

Crop function no longer working today without the application hanging, either before or after pressing the crop button.

It's been a long time since I've used something this buggy.

Back to 4.1.1 for me. 

Kim Ginnerup

I appreciate Skylums sense of humor: “Luminar continues to focus on the core of photo editing”.” In my view that is the only thing Skylum hasn’t done for a very long time. I give up now, i have paid for it every time you asked for money for an upgrade. When 4.0 was relased I paid again. Even though I found the direction a bit wrong (Read: very). Now 4.2 is out and you are continuing down that path. Calling it “focus on core photo editing” couldn’t be further from the truth. I know this is just my opinion. But it is also my money. It seems like you will never be the substitute for Lightroom I had hoped for. Lightroom is no speed devil, but compared to Luminar it seems lightning fast at least on my quad core iMac. 

I am sorry but this is the end of line for me. I had such big hope for this. I hope others find it enjoyable. But I am not into fake photos or photo art or augmented reality, or sky replacement,  I do believe that AI can help. But more in the Topaz way of AI. 

I have never liked the DAM implementation. I am not sure what is wrong, but it doesn’t feel right, it is like it is implemented by someone that doesn’t use DAM on a daily basis, which is probably not right.
    I have started from scratch on every new release, to be sure I worked the “Skylum” way and spent quite sim time trying to recreate the images I had. After a while, I have given up.  Good luck

Dave D.

Now back to 4.1.1 ... which will not read a 4.2 catalog.

Every edit I've made since moving to v 4 last month is gone:  None of my raws shows any history nor edits performed to them. Luminar doesn't recognize previous backups, either. And that makes them entirely pointless.

Thankfully I had regularly exported to jpeg for what I wanted as I went along. But this situation is just wrong and amazingly poorly thought out.

Elena Blum

Member,

We need to be able to take a deeper look at the issue you have experienced. It would help if you could send us you catalog folder, which you cannot open.

Here's how you can send us the folder:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the support request here: https://skylum.com/support

Hope to hear from you soon.

Dave D.

Elena, 

Nah, in all the moving around and hiding/trashing of folders and files necessary to get it to run, my original 4.1 and last-working 4.2 history is gone except for the jpegs I'd created from the edits prior to the last crash.

But as an exercise I did update a fresh 4.1 catalog with version 4.2 and then go back and re-install 4.1.

It did read the 4.2 backup, but of course not the 4.2 catalog file. So I'd suspect Skylum to already realize that, making your suggestion curious at best. After all, when updating to 4.2 there's literally a dialog that says, "The database will be updated."

I'm OK for now, despite having a History folder that reveals the last-edited file edits clearly preceding 4.2 but none of the edit history within Luminar itself ... live and learn.

And although I can't update to 4.2 in good conscience (4.1 has become quite expensive for me as a result) I can still work in 4.1 until I move on to something else that runs properly. Thanks!

Jason Kurth

Give me a way to swap color channels please... like a channel mixer. I like luminar and many of the tools despite its sluggishness even on a new 8 core i7 32gb mac mini, but come on being able to swap color channels for infrared processing isn't asking much. 

Austin Miller

Member,

Please send us your catalog file so we can investigate what went wrong.

Jason,

We have informed our engineering team to return back the channel mixer in future updates. Please stay tuned.

Scott Schnelle

I can honestly say that this is the first update that I've been happy with. The download was smooth, installation went well, and I just went through 25 photos and it didn't crash or lockup once. Performance was definitely better also.

Emmanuel Panagiotakis

I try to update to 4.2 and im getting this :

oops we've run into an issue while installing the app

can anyone help? 

thanks 

Randy Borcherding

Consider me another of the lucky winners of the "an error occurred in retrieving the update information, please try again later" contest. This also happened to me in version 4.1. this is frustrating and makes me not want to spend more of my dollars on this software the next time they come out with another paid upgrade. Please advise. 

Randy / Social Distancing Expert

Kate Williams

Emmanuel and Randy

Did you try the alternative installers provided in this thread? 

Here they are: 

Windows:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

Mac:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4.dmg

Your anti-virus software and firewall may be the issue such an error.

We recommend trying the following:

• Reboot your computer. 
    • Turn off firewall
    • Either turn off your anti-virus or add Luminar to its list of exclusions. Consult your anti-virus manual for help.
    • If your router has a firewall, temporarily disable it as well. (N.B. If your router has AI Protection, try disabling it as well).
    • Try an alternative Internet Connection, if possible - your Internet provider may be blocking the connection to our servers.
      For instance, you may share your mobile data to see whether the issue is not network-related: 

Here's the instruction for iOS: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/share-your-iphone-internet-connection-iph45447ca6/ios 

The instruction for Android: https://www.lifewire.com/use-your-android-phone-as-a-portable-wi-fi-hotspot-2377915 

If the issue persists even after all of the steps above, please, contact us at  https://skylum.com/support

Please sign in to leave a comment.