Luminar 4.2 Today's Update - Terrible

Answered

Comments

26 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi! Please report all the issues via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate them.

Your experience is very important to us. Thank you for trying to make Luminar better. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Andy H

Speed and stability are the major problems in Luminar, countless people on this forum have pointed this out.  We are promised time after time that improvements will be made but they never materialize.  But the good news is that we now have the capability to superimpose whales, giraffes and other random objects in the sky.  Skylum have their priorities all wrong and continue to miss the mark big time. DxO combined with the Nik Collection beats Luminar hands down.

What a poor update!

The AI Augmented Sky is a stupid idea with no real utility! Adding a giraffe in the sky is simply a joke! Who asked for this new feature in this forum?

When Skylum will give us a fast and stable product? When we will get non destructive editing with the extension for Apple Photos? When we will get a true and good DAM?

Daniel

I'm still waiting on Keywords, 

Tony Cristiano

I'm trying to use it on Windows platform and I too have found it does all kinds of crazy things now. This is very bad update and I need to uninstall it.

Tony

Saurabh Shetty

Feels like they barely have anyone testing it on Windows. The last update already had a ton of issues, I am going to avoid 4.2 for a while now and looking at C1/On1 to replace it. Been only using Luminar since 2018 and I have finally ran out of patience!

I am not seeing any option to update to 4.2 either when I open Luminar or on the Skylum website. Has it been withdrawn already or are the above posters accessing a beta?

Saurabh Shetty

4.2 is only available to Australia if I remember correctly. It's a staged roll out.

To Luminar team, please concentrate on only doing performance fixes and bug fixes for the next version. We really some stability to this s/w before we get new corner case features.

Colin Grant

They have no intention of making this thing useable. Remember we are now on V4! They just create gimmicks and sell on the back of that. They call it art - never did see super-imposing a giraffe on the sky as art. Look at the road map - it has not been updated in months and the promised updates to L3 re the dam seem to be evaporating. Think about it V3 is history now and is basically unsupported anyway.

Note to Skylum - I am on version 4 as I believed in your promise that things would get better on the performance and the dam functionality addressed. You have not it seems delivered and make no reference to it on the roadmap. If this is how it is when the release gets to the UK then it is money back time please.

Kate Williams

Saurabh, some of the stability / performance fixes were implemented in this update as well. We'll keep adding them further. 

If you're experiencing any issues with the software, please, do submit a request at https://skylum.com/support so that we could look into it. 

Member, soft launch is available for Austria, Australia, Canada. Why it happens: https://skylum.com/blog/what-is-a-soft-launch 

Colin Grant, we'll add a search tool and IPTC editing both to Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 as free updates, as it was promised.

These are planned and will be implemented this year. As for the update of Roadmap, I can see that our marketing team has already received the feedback that you've submitted via email, so hopefully, the appropriate measures will be taken. 

If you want to request a refund, you can do so at https://skylum.com/support 

Andy H

I don't trust Skylum any more and I feel sorry for the folks in their support team who are trying to keep things together.  It seems to me that senior folks in Skylum are more interested in giving freebie trips to Iceland for their army of obsequious affiliates than giving us customers a usable and practical product.  My advice to Skylum would be to pour the cash you obviously have to waste into a serious development program with a solid QA/QC program.

Helena Carter

Martim,

We've been collecting and processing artists' feedback and feature requests for quite some time, and came up with a conclusion that people love easy-to-use tools and automatic enhancements.

We decided to make the development of new AI features our top priority. Luminar 4 has lots of tools that allow you to create beautiful photos by moving just one slider. Luminar 4 is more intuitive, logical and concise. 

At the same time, we are not giving up on Luminar 3. It is being updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised and the recent 3.2.0 update has brought some significant improvements for many customers.

IPTC support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users.
    Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are conducting negotiations with our partners that will be able to develop a separate migration tool for LR users.

Artists ask to add a giraffe in the sky? Really? Will we have the new ZombieAI tool in the next version? Because I would like to give a zombie look to my portraits with only one slider; it would be so useful! ;-) 

But finally, maybe Luminar is not the good product for us, photographers. I don’t think I will upgrade to the next version if the new direction is adding funny tools for kids! I thing it’s time to searching elsewhere for an alternative…

Daniel

I am a little confused about this update, seems a little speedier when importing and exporting but using sliders and waiting for edit to become available. Slow still.

Why would a giraffe being added to the picture take priority over speed improvements and what I have been waiting for, Keywords. 

I am sure a poll on these forums could help to decide what gets priority.

Colin Grant

So how long have you been speaking to your partners about Lr migration? We have heard that excuse so many times. And like others I too would like to know who these so called "artists" are that you have been consulting. Why not put a poll up on here - you would get a real feel then for what people want. You say the enhancements re search etc are coming to L4 and L3. Have you started that development yet? There is nothing on the L4 roadmap. And does L3 have a future beyond this or does it just become redundant software like so many of your releases.

Andy H

I have never been asked directly by Skylum what I would like see in future releases of Luminar, so I'm not sure how they collect this information. I would hope they would review the content of this forum as one of those inputs and if they did they'd clearly see that speed and stability are one of the top priorities for many customers. I'd love to meet the customer who said "Hey Skylum, I'd love to be able to insert whales and giraffes in the sky!"

So for me, having been a Skylum and MacPhun customer for about 6 years, it's time to conclude that Skylum will never develop Luminar in a way I would like to see it. It is clear to me that Skylum are on a different path with Luminar now and it's time to walk away. Above, Helena refers to us as artists' and not photographers, that is very telling to me.

A silver lining to my frustrations with Luminar is that it's forced me to look at the other editing tools out there. What I've discovered is that for me there are far better, faster, more stable options out there. My advice to anyone in my situation - look at other solutions, use their free trials and decide for yourself. There has never been a better selection of photo editing software in the marketplace than there is now.

Colin Grant

Sound words, Andy. Skylum follow trends. They were Macphun, they saw HDR as a great thing and developed Aurora, which now seems on the back burner. Then drones came along so they changed their name to Skylum and added drone presets. Now they seem to be latching on to composites as "the thing" so are developing ways that we can have Giraffes in the sky and in a sky that was not there in the first place! As you say it is being built on gimmicks/trends with scant regard to performance and photographers in general. Clearly you have to be what Skylum see as an "artist".

Yes time to move on but then I never left the more professional stuff behind, thankfully :-)

Colin Grant

Trends is probably too strong a word to be honest. They follow fads and that is why things change so quickly and dramatically. Fads don't last long whilst trends apply more realistically to the development time-line. 

Andy H : Did you find a replacement for Luminar? If yes, what is your choice? Because I'm searching too! Thanks!

Andy H

Member:

If you're liking the idea of AI, check out the Topaz products for how it should be done (but initial investment cost is high). If you're looking for a solid editor with a DAM (i.e. Lightroom replacement), you can't go wrong with ON1 Photo RAW - great product, great customer support and the best value "all in one" editor in my opinion. Another option is Exposure X5. I also have DxO PhotoLab and the Nik Collection which are terrific. All of these have trial versions (mostly 30 days) - try as many as you can - hopefully you'll find something that works for you. It didn't take me long to realize there are far superior solutions to Luminar out there.

Right, that's definitely my last post, signing off with some help.  Good luck all!

Rakesh Malik

I'm looking seriously at ACDSee as an asset manager, and Topaz for creative editing... it doesn't have the automated sky replacement, but its masking tools are very good, so having an actual asset manager is more than worth the small sacrifice in convenience.

SkyLum is clearly focusing on the toy market rather than professional, since making things work isn't much of a priority, and the catalog functionality that was supposed to be a big feature in Luminar 3 has yet to come to fruition, and appears to continue being a back-burner item. The "catalog" we received is largely worthless since there's so little of the required functionality around it to make it useful.

Norm Gilbert

I, too, am getting displeased with Luminar and Skylum.

I hate trying to paint in a mask or dodge and burn and having the effect lag by SECONDS.

And I have a 2018 MacBook Pro maxed out on RAM and storage...

Sometimes EXPORT freezes and the only solution is to copy the Luminar library to a new location.

Luminar, put up a big banner for everyone in your shop to read that says:

Speed and Stability FIRST.

Don't work on anything else but SPEED and STABILITY.

Then tackle an ASSET MANAGER. I can save to SMUGMUG but cannot read from SMUGMUG,

If I use Apple's Photo Library, copying the originals folder to your library is not the same as SYNCING

If I use Apple Photos like an asset manager (Great for faces, places, keywords and dates but not for serious editing) and then edit in Luminar, once I go back to photos all my edits in Luminar are not saved. It is destructive editing with the option of reverting to the original in Apple Photos.

Instead of giraffes in the sky replacement, how about a decent BACKGROUND REMOVER?

Or an eraser that recognizes EDGES and COLOR changes? If I am erasing something behind my subject, and I am right at the edge of their shoulder or hair, why on earth does your algorithm erase using hair, flesh or clothing from my subject as replacement? It is like erase is an automated clone tool with the source set in the wrong place.

I think it might be time to switch to Topaz Photos. Skylum is NOT LISTENING.

Richard Hoffman

This is really disheartening, because there are elements of Luminar 3 that are excellent, a good combination of speed/ease of use and capability, and I've gotten solid use out of it, so from that perspective, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. And I am another one of those Luminar users who purchased it in large part because of the promise of a usable DAM, which of course has not yet happened. I would love to purchase and use Luminar 4, and have been tempted a few times to "upgrade" (sidegrade), but I'll stick with Luminar 3 (and other tools) until there is some tangible schedule for an update to the DAM functionality. As a professional photographer and not just a casual picture-taker, Luminar 4 does not really meet my needs, and it is looking like it just will not, anytime soon. 

David Ashley

Why oh why does Skylum think that anyone would want to superimpose a giraffe on the sky. The vast majority of people using this software are serious about photography and we are not impressed by pointless gimmicks.

Please concentrate on ironing out the bugs (i.e. Mac Photos freezing when skies replaced, slow reaction to sliders being moved, general stability etc).

I would like to hear from Skylum management a definitive timeline to resolving the many issues.

Colin Grant

Norm Gilbert  I agree with you re Skylum's ability, or lack of, to address the performance issue, but it is a little unfair to criticise them for the way the app interacts with Apple Photos. The extension architecture is driven by Apple. It is true they have opened it up under Catalina and Raw Power by Gentleman Coders (ex Aperture guy) is building on that in an impressive way. However, Raw Power is just a basic raw editor at the moment. You also make reference to an erase brush that is edge aware - presumably you are making reference to something like Adobe's Content Aware technology? Luminar needs decent edge aware masking period along with decent luminosity and colour range masking. But that is not their bag - all they want to build is AI tools that renders the need for such functionality redundant.

As for the Library, Skylum have said that they now have no intention of competing with the likes of Lr/Aperture on this front. They have backed away from that and my guess is that once (if ever) the bits have been added that they say will be added that will be the end of it. As for SmugMug - are there any DAMs/editors that can read from it? It is in reality an archiving facility rather than a disc drive in the sky - that is how I understand it anyway.

Luminar is a huge disappointment but there is other stuff out there. Time to move on I guess for Skylum have no interest in our views. They have set their path and it is going in a different direction to what we had hoped!

Anastasia Davis

Hi guys! Please note that we do listen to our customers and we are working on the performance. As my colleague mentioned, if there is something that works not as it should please reach our support team and we will investigate it: https://skylum.com/support

Post is closed for comments.