Sky failure work-around

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Helena Carter

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your findings! We would appreciate if you send us your photos and steps you performed with screenshots/screen recording https://skylum.com/support. I think it would be nice to share that with our technical department.

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Sonshine

I have written up the instructions and taken the screen shots but the web page you pointed me to only accepts a single line of text and this is a full page of instructions with multiple photo links. I don't think that your web page can accept it.

If you can give me an email address I will put all of this into an email and send it that way. The work-around converted this image:

which Luminar 4 does not recognize as having a sky, to this image

with the sky replaced.

I am happy to share this with others and perhaps it might give the developers some insight into the issues that some users have, but I need an email address.

Lynne Pariseau
    • I'd love a copy of the instructions!!  Lynne
    Michael Sonshine

OK. I will add it to this thread as soon as I finish proof reading it.

Michael Sonshine

First, a comment. I put all of this into one post but there were so many photos and so much text that the post ended up with missing and misplaced photos so I will do this one in steps. There will be multiple posts with this as PART 1. I will label each part and specify which is the last post. Hopefully this will keep the photos where they are supposed to be.

Here is a sequence of steps that will allow Luminar 4 to replace a sky in a photo where it does not recognize that there is a sky. In my experience that happens most often for me when there is not enough sky visible for the software to recognize that what does appear is the sky. Mostly this happens in photos where there are a lot of trees and only a small amount of sky visible but since there are no large areas of trees where I live I took this photo to show the process.

This example uses Photoshop but any other good pixel editor will work just as well although the step by step instructions would have to change based on the pixel editor.

1) Note that Luminar does not recognize that there is any sky to replace in this photos since the replacement button is disabled.

2) Use the File -> Open in command to send the image to Photoshop (or some other pixel editor),

3) Click on the background color icon and use the eye dropper to select a representative color in the sky.

Continued in PART 2.

Michael Sonshine

PART 2.

4) Create a new solid color layer and drag it below the background layer. The solid color should, by default, be the same color as the newly set background color which should match the color selected by the eye dropper in step 3. You do not need the mask and can delete it (as I have).

5) Next resize the canvas (Image -> Canvas Size) adding about 20-25% to the Height value and setting the bottom middle as the anchor point. Make sure that the Color layer is selected before clicking OK.

End of PART 2.

Michael Sonshine

PART 3.

6) Save the image back to the same folder the original image was in. If you save it as a tiff make sure you flatten the image to save space. Have saved it as a jpg in this example. Return to Luminar 4 and select the new image.

Notice that the Sky Selection link is now active while it was not active before.

7) If the original sky was not uniform in color (as in this example) you could try to soften the border between the colors by using the Erase in Luminar 4 or by using some tool in Photoshop. I have done that in Luminar in this photo. If the sky was uniform in color there is no need. I did it in this photo although I do not believe there was any real need to do so.

8) Now just do the sky replacement as you would have had the link been enabled when you first loaded the image.

End of PART 3.

Michael Sonshine

Start of PART 4. This is the last part.

10) Finally you may wish to crop the photo back to the original proportions to make it look like it was the original image and/or make any further adjustments you wish.

One more comment. Sometimes the piece of sky that you wish to replace may have color differences. For example part may be blue and part may be white from clouds. In that case you can select two color layers, one representing the blue and one representing the white, resize the canvas both horizontally and vertically, and move the solid colors up (as in this example) and sideway (one to the left, one to the right so as to show both colors in the sky). Then Skylum should recognize both blue and white as part of an existing sky and properly replace the sky. I have done this as well, and it works, but it was more involved than I wanted the first set of instructions to be so I did not include it.

End of PART 4. This completes the sequence.

Kirk Osborn

Thanks for sharing this workaround, Michael. We really appreciate it. We will use this guide to help users who faced the same issue.

Michael Sonshine

I will be glad if this helps anyone else who wants to replace a sky when Skylum does not understand that there is one, and that is why I shared it. I have come to really like L4 as an editor and even though I rarely replace a sky I have come to appreciate the other functionality in the app.

But I do want to say that I do not see any reason that the Skylum developers could essentially do the same thing internally in Luminar. If the software can not detect a sky the app can put up a dialog box saying so and an eye dropper asking the user to select where the sky is, if anywhere. They can then use that color to create a color layer, append it to the top of the image and use that as the basis for the sky color to be detected. they can hide the new color layer internally so the user does not see it but they would then have a basis for replacing the visible part of the sky.

Just a suggestion.

Lynne Pariseau

THANKS for all your work putting this together for us - it's definitely an issue I've run into.  Also, I think you're correct, the techs at Skylum could easily add in the directions for you when you use Sky replacement.

Please sign in to leave a comment.