catalog backup

Answered

Comments

3 comments

• Official comment
    Margaret Bright

Hi Franci,

If you wish to backup your catalog, you need all the contains of Luminar 4 Catalog folder.

The Backup folder contains the automatical backup data. On Mac, it's done once the app is launched, once you quit the app, and every 30 minutes (but only if you're working with data: making any edits, applying ratings, color tags, grouping photos into the albums, etc.). On Windows, the backup is done every 24 hours.

When you edit an image in Luminar, all of the filters you apply, the adjustments you make to those filters, everything you do to an image as well as your flagging, ratings are saved in .state files. These files are being stored in the CacheDocuments folder.

The PreviewCache folder contains the previews of the images you have in your library. The previews are, as you have noticed, in jpg file format. Please note that these are not copies of your images. Your original RAW photos are not affected in any way.

Comment actions Permalink
    Franci Carlsson

Thanks, that helps a lot. If Windows only backs up every 24 hours, what happens when computer is not on.  I can't leave computer on because it gets too hot.  I thought it would back up every time I shut down; that is a much needed feature! No manual back up either?

Margaret Bright

Hi Franci,

On Windows, when you are launching the application, it checks the date when the last backup was created, and if it was created more than 24 hours ago, a new backup appears. 5 backups are stored simultaneously - when the 6th one is created, the first one gets deleted.

Moreover, we'll make sure to implement manual backups too in the future. 

For now, the only way to manually backup your catalog is to copy the whole catalog folder to another directory (for example, external drive).

Please sign in to leave a comment.