Image layers and masking

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Larry Moore

I gave it a try and had success using the following steps:

1. New/original image and make any adjustments that you want/need to the original

2. Create stamped layer and make any adjustments you want/need, including transform.

3. Reduce opacity as needed to see both layers in opposing views

4. Use masking brush, both erase and paint will be needed.

This worked for me.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anastasia Davis

Hi Ron! We need to see the steps you are performing.

You can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into an email to support@skylum.com

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ian Murrell

RON DANIEL

The method put forward by Larry Moore worked for me.

I found I could get away with no brush work by using the gradient mask tool with the outer lines set as close to each other as possible, and then readjusting the two transforms slightly.

Note that after Larry's step 4, you can reset the opacity of the stamped layer back to 100%.

Ian Murrell

RON DANIEL

I've had another play. This way no masking at all is required.

1. Open image
    2. Select the layer, then Layer Transform
    3. Drag the right side of image left to half the original width. Click on Done
    4. Duplicate the layer
    5. On the new (duplicated layer) select Layer Transform
    6. Flip the image horizontally.
    7. Drag the left hand side of the image right. As you do it will expose the image from the layer below. Stop when at the point where there is just a slight overlap at the centre. Click on Done.

I should point out that after opening the image in step 1 and before step 2, you can make edits to the original photo, providing those edits are all on the original base layer. With this method you can't use either the clone and stamp, or erase tools as these automatically create new layers.

Please sign in to leave a comment.