Why did skylum stop updating aurora?

Answered

Comments

9 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Ian! Your comments are appreciated. I forwarded them to our developers. Still, there is no ETA for the update yet. Please stay tuned!

Comment actions Permalink
    Ian Lipsky

well i appreciate you being honest with me. But this doesn't inspire any confidence that skylum will actually start updating their products on a reasonable schedule. No ETA after a year of no updates pretty much says you guys have no plans for updating aurora, otherwise you'd at least have an ETA at this point. As of now, I'm just going to go back to checking out some of your competitors. While I thought the look of the photos i can produce with aurora were a little bit better then the program I was using previously, the lack of updates and the slowdowns caused by bugs makes those slight differences inconsequential.

Daniel Sarlette

I think the first (and last) release of Aurora 2019 was in October - so it's 1 1/2 years now without any updates and still a lot of bugs...

Ian Lipsky

I think skylum takes the approach that since their software is cheaper then adobes, they don't have to put out updates, they can just charge you for a new release.

If they come out with a new version of Aurora, I won't be buying it at this point. If I pay for a program, regardless of the price, I expect it to work as advertised, or get fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Skylum hasn't done either of those things. So I'm definitely going to be using something else instead of Aurora. And I'll see how well luminar works and how they handle updates on that before I decide if I just drop skylum entirely.

Daniel Sarlette

That's exactly how I see it!

With the current update policy for Aurora Luminar is no option for me at all. Skylum lost me as a customer!!

Helena Carter

Hi,

We plan to update Aurora HDR 2019 soon. However, we haven't announced the exact date yet. Please, stay tuned.

Ian Lipsky

Helena, you do realize that sounds kinda of silly right? It's been more then a year since there has been any update. At this point saying you are 'planning' on updating it but don't have a date yet really just sounds like empty excuses.

Ian Lipsky

So skylum FINALLY puts out an update for aurora and the only thing it ads is plugin support for PS2020 and luminar? A year and a half and that's the update?

Kirk Osborn

Thanks to all of the Aurora HDR artists who submitted feedback. We've made several improvements to make it even smarter and better. We hope you enjoy this new release of Aurora HDR and we look forward to seeing your incredible photographs. Take a look at what’s new this time.

For all users:

• Full support for Photoshop 2020. Aurora HDR is now fully compatible as a plugin for Photoshop 2020. 
    • Luminar 4 Support. Luminar 4 is now fully compatible as a plugin for Aurora HDR. 

Mac users will also see several improvements:

• You can also use a Smart Filter with Smart Objects
    • Extensions bug fixed when working with Photos
    • Aurora HDR notarization for Catalina OS support

That’s all for now. So stay tuned for more exciting news soon!

Please sign in to leave a comment.