Luminar 4 Performance SLOW !

Answered

Comments

104 comments

Colin Grant

L4 has always been slow and that catalogue has been flaky at best. That is why I always used L4 as a plugin rather than trying to make it resemble a Lr replacement. You should not experience too much slowness if you use it on a single image basis or as a plugin to Lr. At least that is my experience. 

I note you are planning a demo at your club. You do realise that L4 will be superseded by Luminar AI later this month? L4 then becomes historic software. Skylum have promised to support L4 for, I think, 12 months but don't expect any earth shattering enhancements. Luminar AI is a rebuild from the ground up so is not compatible with L4. Skylum have also stated that they are no longer building a Lr like dam.

Comment actions Permalink
    anthony manganaro

Thanks Colin

I have used L4 as a plugin and standalone.. results are exactly the same.   Sloooow

Luminar AI requires MacOS High Sierra at least and I have MacOS Sierra installed now.   My mac is able to be updated to that but my Version of Lightroom (V5.6) will probably not work and that is the Photo manager (DAM) I use, so I am in a bit of a pickle here and I have no idea if Luminar AI will be a Sloth as well.

Colin Grant

From what you say, Anthony, I would not be surprised if your problem  (or a significant part if it) is with your hardware. Luminar has never been fast but as I said as a plugin here it is useable. There again I am on a 2017  4k iMac with 32 gig ram running Big Sur.  My version of Lr is 10 so we really have moved on.  

Quite often software houses give you the minimum and optimum spec that the software will run on. Often the minimum means it will run but not at anywhere near optimum performance. Is High Sierra as far as your Mac will go? Do not know if Lr 5.7 will work on High Sierra but if you are just using the dam why not try Adobe Bridge? It is free. But for all that - it is still the underlying hardware that will be the ultimate driver here.  

anthony manganaro

Hi Colin,

Appreciate the info I have a mid-2011 iMac with intel I5 processor and 32gb of ram and a AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB graphics card.  The highest I can upgrade to is High Sierra, currently I am on Sierra (10.12.6).  My lightroom 5.6 is actually lightning fast, as is all my other photo software, no issues there at all.  It's just Luminar 4 at this juncture.

Was thinking of trying Digikam as a DAM, but will give Adobe Bridge a try.   Basically if I switch to one of those I will have to offload(export) all my photos from lightroom to save all the edits I have on about 9000 photos.

Not particularly looking to have to buy a new iMac to be honest.  

Colin Grant

Bridge is far better than Digikam in my opinion. Another worth a look is NeoFinder a Mac centric app. Lr 5.7 would be pretty fast, it is very lite software when compared to the current Lr, and indeed Luminar, which likes to use the gpu. My GPU has 4 gig of onboard memory which I believe yours is missing. Your machine is 9 years old now so it has done well but tech moves on unfortunately. And with the new Macs coming out it will not get easier. I might well go with the new Mac Mini next year - they look good value but there-again I do love the iMac. Common sense on the financial front screams Mac Mini but.........

anthony manganaro

I want to thank you for all your input in trying to assist me. It is very much appreciated and in todays world politeness is at a premium.  I will certainly take your advice to heart.   With the mini mac guess I will have to purchase a monitor as well, I don't think there is a way to finagle my iMac to be used as a monitor.  I think that can be done with the 27" iMac, not the 21" ones.

Thanks again Colin

Colin Grant

You are most welcome, Anthony. You have a point re screens for the mini and it is something I am about to start wrestling with.

Stay safe and well, mate

Apostolos Zorbas

Still waiting for this update they promised on this post almost a year ago. Apparently continuous spam emails about LuminarAI, is the priority now.

Wolfgang Jarcik

I don't think there will ever be a performance update for Luminar 4. Skylum has now taken a completely different path with AI. I think that's a shame and, above all, annoying.

anthony manganaro

I still use Luminar 4 (when I have to) but have switched to Affinity Photo.  Its lightning fast, has tons of features and you can work miracles with it.

Tons of tutorials, and when I ask a question its answered the same day by one of the actual tutors.   Plus it was on sale for $25 recently and updates are free. Also has a great Forum.
    I love it.

A little more complex than Luminar, but it is like lightning and would also serve to replace Photoshop..its that good.

In addition it can process HEIC files that are produced by IPHONES when you take a photo.
    I just converted over 150 HEIC formatted pic to TIFF files in less than 90 seconds using the Affinity batch process..

Just thought I would mention this. May want to check it out.
    Tazz Anderson

+1 for Affinity...I tried to support Luminar but feel quite betrayed by them. Shortly after purchasing the incredibly sluggish Luminar 4 they were pushing AI on me and NOT to upgrade but to purchase . Yea right!!! Affinity is awesome...there is a photo version, as well as Designer, and Publisher. As Anthony mentioned, they are screaming fast and ridiculously inexpensive. Affinity literally replaced Photoshop for me, and yes cost 25 bucks to buy. And no that is not a subscription. Luminar was a trash can that I threw a hundred bucks into...no refund, no solution, just multiple emails trying to get me to throw more money into the trash. Thank you Affinity.

Skylum 4 is total and utter garbage as a standalone. It's a shame i didn't realize it until i had it installed and used it for a few months past the money back period. As an amateur photographer, I'm on no time constraints, no deadlines and I can barely process photos. It's ridiculously slow, takes forever to change anything at all. Just trash. I've been using an older version of PS and it doesn't support my new camera RAW files. I'm better off converting to tiff in capture XD, and try to edit in PS until I make the jump to LR... I would've been better off giving $80 to the homeless guy on the corner. Considering LR is only $120 for the year, this was a GRAVE MISTAKE.. 

Tommi Kalsi

as my lr4 paid for 2 comp stopped working. "didn't know to deactivate before comp. upgrade", bought and started using luminair 4. I'm very dissapointed for quickness on every raw-edit and very slow processing on export and every small edits. It is so slooow on export, takes 12h to process on 30min shoot. Crop, edits and all regular small adjustments is too slow. I have ryzen 9, 24thr, new mobo, nvme ect. Why the F. the software is so slow?

anthony manganaro

Hi Tommi...I know how you feel.   I have stopped using Luminar 4 and refuse to chance purchasing the Luminar AI for fear of getting burned with that as well.   I use LR as my base post processor and Photo Management center then (if needed) use the "Edit in" feature to transfer to Affinity Photo which is fantastic.  Its fast, has a plethora of tutorials on youtube, is well supported(had a question once and was actually contacted by one of the instructors who produce the tutorials within a couple of hours), Affinity software is lightning fast as well.  I have a 2011 IMAC with 32GB RAM, and Intel Core I5 processor and only real pig piece of Photo software is the Luminar.

Couple of little drawbacks with Affinity though...

1:  When using the "edit in" of LR to xfer control to Affinity you will have to EXPORT the photo from Affinity into where you want it placed prior to returning to LR. Control doesn't seem to return to LR with the completed photo.

2:   A few of the Editing features are Destructive, so if you are going to use any of the more advanced features its best to create a copy first.  (Of course Affinity has infinite UNDO capability, but for 100% peace of mind a copy may be best.

Anyhow, a bit long winded, but trying to help out a fellow Luminar sufferer.   Good luck!

Please sign in to leave a comment.