Luminar 4 Performance SLOW !

Answered

Comments

104 comments

Colin Grant

Winston, if you have Lr why not just use Luminar as a plugin. It works fine here. Lr is the better dam at the moment and imo is better as the first level raw editor. Luminar scores using the creative filters. I am not saying that the software does not need some more work but at least using Lr as your core app might help you along. Just a thought.

Comment actions Permalink
    Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Colin Grant,

wasn't Luminar advertised as a Lightroom replacement? If you use Lightroom, why do you still need Luminar - only for the exchange from heaven? In any case, I wanted to replace LR with Luminar, but unfortunately I have really long response times despite fewer pictures in the catalog. That's why I've now had to extend my LR subscription.

Colin Grant

Luminar was not always advertised as a Lr replacement and it is not advertised as such any more. That was stopped when the dam did not come up to expectations. Luminar existed prior to the Lr replacement attempt and was either a simple stand-alone editor or a plugin; the same as all the Skylum stuff before Luminar (although Skylum was called MacPhun then). Despite all that has gone on, it is still a very good plugin bringing some nice creative filters to Lr and indeed Photoshop where its ability to work with smart objects is brilliant.

The dam is not really a dam, it is a file browser and not a very good one. There is no keywording, no search, no smart albums, no stacking - the list goes on and on. Skylum have however said they are not in competition with Lr and that they are doing their own thing. That is absolutely fine and as long as being a very good plugin is part it will have a place in my workflow as a plugin. All that said, they say they intend to bring a bit more functionality to the dam in the future so hopefully that will be good for those who do not need all that is Lr. The current dam /Library at least seems to be more stable now but it is not the fastest thing around.

Winston Winsborrow

Thanks Colin, will give a try as plug-in with Lr, and see how it works. Will post update on how it works. Winston

Colin Grant

Ok Winston. There will be plenty of help around as many use the plugin option.

Maximilian Mester

Hello, I use Luminar a lot. It's great software, but it's too slow. 170 files from Raw to JPG over 2 hours on a modern PC with 32 GB RAM Geforce 1070GTX and I7 4 GHz. Please fix this problem quickly, it cannot be used for productive use.

Anastasia Davis

Hi Maximilian! Do you experience performance issues only on export? Please describe the way you export the photos, which adjustments you use, how many images you have in your catalog.

Answer all the questions above in a support form here: www.skylum.com/support

Eric Wynn

Yea.... Exporting is SO slow... It just took me 30 mins to export 82 Files from Sony .ARW to .JPG

Im running the brand new Macbook Pro with amazing Specs. 

Michael Nielsen

Same thing here... exporting to TIF using the latest i9 MacBook Pro.. still slow export. Guess I will put on another cup of coffee. :)

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Michael Nielsen,

Let's take a closer look at your case.

Could you please kindly contact us via https://skylum.com/support? Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

Tazz Anderson

Hello fellow Luminarians...

Same issue here. I just spent over an hour of my life that I can't get back exporting 50 images. It took WAAAAAY too long. That's over a minute per image. Thankfully I am in "stay-at-home" lock down from the Covid-19 issue and had no where else to go! I LOVE this software as it does incredible things, however this export speed (or non-speed) is truly unacceptable. Hopefully the engineering gurus can figure this out and find a fix.

My specs are:
    AMD-FX-6120 Six Core Processor 3.50 GHz
    12 GB RAM
    64 bit OS Windows 10

Images were JPEGS, exported as JPEGS..after ONLY AI Image Enhancer added. 
    Quality of exported images was lowered to 75

Anastasia Davis

Hi Tazz! Could you also reach our support team so we look into your case? https://skylum.com/support

Trevor Kitto

This is ridiculous. Very disappointed with the performance of Luminar 4. Slow at almost everything. Start up, loading images and exporting images. I wish someone had told me before I purchase this product. Most reviews I had read said it was the best alternative to LR. It has to be fixing. It's almost unusable. 

Colin Grant

You really should have tried the free trial. It is abysmally slow and always has been. It is certainly not an alternative to Lr if by that you mean a viable replacement. They have been saying performance will be improved since version 1. Here we are on 4.2 and still very, very poor and buggy.

Kirk Osborn

Hi Trevor. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support so we could investigate your case further.

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Kirk Osborn,

what do you think it should help if all users turn to support? Skylum should have recognized that everything is slow by now. I mean that your standard answers like small catalog, SSD on internal disk etc. just don't help. The only solution is simply to finally make the program more powerful. Updates have been promised to us long enough, but unfortunately there has been no real improvement yet.This can also be seen in the many posts here in the forum.

Colin Grant

Exactly. It is no more than a trick to take debate away from this forum. They have been promising performance updates for months (years?) and gave delivered not a lot.

Henk Prak

Dear Kirk,Anastasia,Helga,

The problem of the Luminar 4 program is: IT IS TERRIBLE VERY SLOW!

It is not the problem of our PC or MAC, they are fast enough.

Please update the program soon so it is a pleasure to work with it.

Kirk Osborn

At the moment, our devs have two major tasks: the algorithm performance improvements and resource use optimization.

These are large-scale tasks that in the long-term perspective will give the app a significant boost as well as increase the development speed. Therefore, please rest assured that every day Luminar is getting better. We hope you'll be there with us to see this progress. 

Herman Thijssens

That would be wonderful Kirk. Exporting is terrifying slow and the app crashes a lot for me, I have to use the backup to a previous catalog or create a new one every week.

Michael Nielsen

I also look forward to the update as the programme often crashes. This means I have to spend time rebuilding the catalog and redoing export steps. I often feel like I am beta-testing this software and reporting in with the issues. I hope that the free feedback provided is useful for the developers.

Victoria Grace

Hi guys,

We really appreciate all your feedback and our team are working hard on improving the overall performance at the moment we speak. Thanks for your all patience and understanding!

Tazz Anderson

Hello everyone and Anastasia. I appreciate the reply, however, contacting support really isn't a useful option. Why directly burden support when I wrote the problem here and it was read by all of you. My problem seems to be the same problem as everyone else's here. The bigger problem I find is that you spend your hard earned money on a product you trust will work and help with your photography workflow and it fails to deliver. You are then trying to find a different product that will pick up the shortcomings of that first program, in this case Luminar. Don't get me wrong, Luminar is fantastic in it's abilities to manipulate, edit, and simply add magical life to otherwise dull photos, but, after adding the magic, the ability to export your wonderful edited masterpieces in any normal time frame just fails miserably. Any type of bulk edits are simply impossible as exporting afterwards like in my case just takes ridiculously too long. Its one thing when exports are taking minutes, but when you start talking hours for what should be a simple procedure, that's wher unacceptable comes into play. And it's not like this is a new process. Many programs have bulk export working just fine and very quick, so it's obviously very doable. So not to bash anyone here as that's not my intention, but rather as a Luminar supporter, I do hope that this problem is at the top of the to do list of the programming gurus, to come up with a remedy and give us a much needed update that fixes this issue we then can continue to support this incredible tool for photography. Thanks for your time and consideration, Tazz

Helena Carter

Hi Tazz,

Thank you so much for your coherent feedback. Indeed, improving the software's performance is our top priority now. Moreover, a new performance update is planned to be released pretty soon, so stay tuned and thanks for your loyalty.

Joe Langdale

Well I had the browser open on the page to buy Luminar 4 as my lightroom and photoshop subscription end soon and I dont like adobe's payment model. As always a lot of research before buying a product and now I cant get Luminar and may have to get ON1 photo Raw instead as I am not waiting for those kind of wait times, also by the sound of things this has been an issue for many years and many iterations showing that the company clearly arent taking the issue to heart, which is a shame indeed. 

Hire more engineers etc and get the product fixed, preferably without a cost increase to the consumer. 

Nuno Correia

I would like to understand why L4 is so slow, I start editing a couple of pictures and soon get tired of so much wait.

I5 4690k, 32GB, RX 590

Margaret Bright

Hi Nuno,

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Therefore, each case is different, and we would like to take a deeper look at the issue you are experiencing to see what may be causing it and to provide you with some steps to improve the app's performance.

Could you please get in touch with our support team via https://skylum.com/support

Please provide them with the following information:

1. How many images are there in your Library? Please send us the screenshot of your Catalog file structure as in the example: http://prntscr.com/obcij4 

2. Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?

3. Your system information.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Maximilian Mester

Margaret Bright 

I tried to use Luminar on my last commercial projects. But it doesn't make sense. Just too slow and clumsy. You can forget about the proper management of the pictures, because you don't even see the picture numbers in the overview. If you add individual images to the catalog and then want to remove them from Luminar, this is only possible if the file is also deleted from the hard disk, otherwise you must remain in the Luminar recycle bin. (Fortunately, I had a backup of the deleted pictures here)

As great as the possibilities are, images can be edited quickly and easily, so the entire workflow is unusable. I would only recommend Luminar if you use it for private use and here with just a few pictures. The program slows down everything with over 20 images and some of its own looks so that it is no fun.

I think an acceleration could already be achieved if not all looks are pre-rendered for each image or it would be optional.

Why can't you create your own folders for the looks? It is also not possible to create your own LUT.

All in all, I currently cannot recommend Luminar. I have a really powerful PC with which I can edit pictures with over 400 megapixels in other programs without any problems. Luminar already fails here when opening.

This feedback is based on my experience with Luminar in the past 4 months.

I hope something will improve as soon as possible, otherwise I don't see any positive development for Luminar.

Update 12.05.2020: I have now bought a Samsung M2 970 Plus to see if the speed improves. Unfortunately not.

greetings
    Max

Rob Weemen

Hi,

I also experience very much slowness in Luminar 4. I don't use the library, i only import 1 to 5 photos at a time then edit and export them. The erase tool, the stamp and clone tool are also very slow compared to other photo editing tools i used for years. I really like luminar but the slowness is killing.

I hope there is going to be an update for the performance.

Also exporting is really slow, exporting 5 jpegs costs a couple of minutes on an 8th gen i5 with 16gb of ram and an SSD. You can't use the program while exporting so you have to wait. With lr you can also edit another picture while exporting.

Again i really like all the options in Luminar but performance has to be much better. 

Common Skylum, do something about this.

Greetings,

Rob

Kate Williams

Hi Rob, 

We have the plans to make export as a background process. 

As for the overall performance improvements, I can't but agree that the app has a great room for improvement when it comes to speed. However, we're getting there. Each update addresses a certain aspect of the app performance. 
    I'd recommend trying out the next update, while we cannot guarantee that Luminar 4 will suddenly start 'flying' like never before, for sure, there should be a boost in the speed compared with the previous updates. Stay tuned. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.