New Luminar 4.1.1 update: better performance for editing sessions and support for the Dutch language.

Featured

Comments

27 comments

Wolfgang Jarcik

Also ich habe das Update heute installiert, aber von eine Performanceverbesserung kann ich leider überhaupt nicht feststellen. Bis ich nach dem Start von Luminar ein Bild in meinem kleinen Katalog mit 11 Bildern beginnen kann, vergehen ca. 15 Sekunden. Der Wechsel von einem Bild zu Nächsten Dauer in etwa gleich lange. Und ganz schlimm ist das Exportieren, 1 Bild mit nur wenigen Bearbeitungen zu einem jpg ist nicht unter 30 Sekunden zu schaffen.

So I installed the update today, but unfortunately I can not see any improvement in performance at all. It takes about 15 seconds before I can start an image in my small catalog with 11 images after starting Luminar. The change from one picture to the next takes about the same length of time. And exporting is very bad, 1 image with just a few edits to a jpg is always at least 30 seconds.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ulrich Goetze

I wonder where the analytics setting is in my luminar 4 for windows?

I found no "Preferences" Menu??

Ulrich Goetze

On my  8 Year old AMD FX8120 + 16GB ram:

Loading 20MP JPG for editing: ~8sec.

Loading RAW with some edits: ~23sec.

Export JPG with some edits: ~20sec.

Export RAW with some edits: ~30sec

For me the import/export times are not really a issue. I multiselect all images i want to export, go for a coffe and

let the machine do it`s work.

But this may be depend on ones expectations ;-)

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Ulrich,
    well if all of this is now seen as a performance improvement, I'm afraid it won't actually get much better. The main focus here is probably on sky swap and the AI functions. In any case, I am not enthusiastic about it. To me, a reasonably more powerful processing would be much more important.

Otto Rentzsch

Hallo Wolfgang,

nachdem ich die voreilig installierte 4.1.1 runtergeschmissen und wieder 4.1.0 installiert habe, werde ich noch einige Zeit warten bis ich die 4.1.1 wieder anfasse, zumal die 4.1.0 ja stabil läuft. Das Gescchwindigkeitsproblem der Skylum-Software begleitet uns seit Luminar 2018 und es scheint ein grundsätzliches Problem zu sein. Luminar 4 ist ein hervorragender RAW-Konverter aber eine größere Anzahl Fotos zu exportieren wird zum Geduldsspiel. Ich habe hier eine einen I5, 16GB Ram und eine Radeon Grafikkarte, ok, schon 5 Jahre alt, aber wenn ich die Export-Zeiten mit Capture One 12 oder Affinity Photo vergleiche sind das Welten. Das Geschwindigkeitsproblem muß also ein grundsätzliches Programmierungsproblem der Software sein. Möglicherweise rendert die Software alle Filter und Ebenen erst beim Export. Wenn, dann wird sich daran  in absehbarer Zeit nichts ändern auch wenn Skylum Verbesserungen verspricht. Die reine Bildbearbeitung aber ist wirklich gut. Und ich habe da mit Capture One eine gute Vergleichsmöglichkeit. 

Gus Panella

I read this above:

"Also, we have added one more thing for your convenience. It is an “Analytics” option where you can disable sharing data. To apply it, simply choose the Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off.

As such looked for this: Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off

Maybe this is only in the Apple version?

Victoria Grace

Hi Gus,

Please, note that usage data is not collected in the Windows version of Luminar 4, so you do not need to turn off data collection in Luminar 4 for Windows.

Colin Grant

Luminar plugins are no longer working on Mac after update.Click on them and nothing happens - the plugin does not launch.

Colin Grant

Hi Ulrich, that is quite an old machine. What graphics card does it have?

Ulrich Goetze

A few weeks ago i bought a GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 (a version without additional power connect). 
    When encoding video via GPU with tmpgenc this is twice as fast than my old GTX 750ti card!

Unfortunatly i feel Luminar takes not much advantage of the higher GPU power.

Victoria Grace

Hi Colin, please, try to re-add your plugins to Luminar 4 and see how it works then.

Ulrich Goetze please, contact us at https://skylum.com/support so that we could try to improve it for you.

Jaco van Rensburg

Luminar 4 updated yesterday and now the program crashes when I try to do a sky replacement...

Jaco van Rensburg

Restarted PC and same story, still crashes :( 

Austin Miller

Hi Jaco,

Please try installing Framework 4.8. It fixed the issue in similar cases.

You can download it here:

.NET Framework 4.8 

Let us know how it works for you.

Jaco van Rensburg

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Apparently it has already been installed on the computer. 
    Still crashing. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Jaco,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can more-thoroughly investigate the issue. Be sure to include a link to this thread so we can track the suggestions that have already been made.

Ronald Grunert-Held

Achtung! Update nicht installieren !!!  Es zerstört alle selbst verfassten "Himmel" im Ordner "SkyTexture". Auch gekaufte Bilder sind weg, gelöscht!  Nach der Intallation des Updates ist der Ordner schreibgsschützt. Man muss diesen Schreibschutz wieder als Administrator aufheben, damit man wieder neue und gewohnte Himmel in SkyReplacement nutzen kann. Warum liebe Luminar4-Entwickler? Alle von Skylum verkauften Himmel sind in der Auflösung extrem klein, haben hohen Rauschanteil und sind teilweise unscharf. Unbrauchbar. Mit selbst verfassten Himmelfunktioniert die Software gut. In der Software fehlt gänzlich eine Skalierung und Platzierung von "Himmel". So ist sehr viel Arbeit nötig, um Himmel passend einfügen zu können.

Anastasia Davis

Ronald Grunert-Held Hi! Are you referring to the skies which you manually put in the resources folder? This is a workaround that is not recommended by our developers.
    As for the Sky packs from our marketplace, we would appreciate it if you send us specific examples and we will forward them to the person in charge. Reach us here: https://skylum.com/support

Fernando Marcial Cruz

As almost everyone is saying the software is painfully slow. It seems that it doesn't want you to develop your own workflow, just to click the presets. I have a macbook pro with minimum specs and a windows 10 pc with recommended specs. I see no much difference in performance in any of them with the new update.

My other issues are:

- It doesn't paste or syncronize white balance info.

- Locks the editing controls for 30-60 seconds before letting you modify anything (working with RAW files)

- Takes several minutes to export edited RAW file to JPG. 

I thought the software was ready to replace Lightroom. I was wrong.

Austin Miller

Hi Fernando,

We're improving Luminar 4 performance with each update.

Nevertheless, it might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size, and images format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews)

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Also, as a workaround, I can suggest you to try dividing your Library into several Catalogs. It will improve Luminar 4 speed.

Could you also specify where are you exporting your images? On the internal or external drive?

Wolfgang Jarcik

Hi Austin Miller,

that's exactly what I've been doing for months, lots of catalogs with just a few pictures, everything stored on an internal SSD and a Macbook that meets all the requirements -> PERFORMANCE simply miserable and the program really not useful.

I am excited when the promises for improvement will finally be realized.

Fernando Marcial Cruz

Sorry, it was my first catalog/library. Less than 100 photos on an internal HDD. I did some test after that, and the results were the following. 

- Minimum spec machine: 38 minutes to export 10 photos. Without mentioning the editing was very slow. This machine has an SSD.

- Recomended spec machine: PC went to sleep (so, 2 hours) and it had exported 35 of 79 in the cue. 

So, 3.8 min/photo for the minimum spec, 3.4 min/photo. Can't work like that. I'm asking a refund

Colin Grant

Have to agree, performance is miserable at best, even when as a plugin. I have one test catalogue of about 1400 images on main hard drive and at times sliders lag so much I wonder if they are actually working. Sky replacement adjustments are a disgrace. It is probably as quick to change a sky through Affinity or Ps. L4 is pretty much unusable if you do a lot of editing.

Austin Miller

Hi Fernando. I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have. Please reach us at skylum.com/support so we can provide you with further instructions.

Robert McCutchan

I have to say that I am blown away with what Luminar can do!  And I plan to keep using it, but there seems to be a lot of frustration with performance among the community.

I have an old Core i3 3220 with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 graphics card and 8 gigs of ram, so I wasn't expecting much anyway....everything runs slow on it. 

My question is:  I can get a Core i5 3550 (3rd gen?) processor to replace the Core i3 for very cheap (like $20 USD), but will I see enough difference in speed to make it worth swapping at this point?  The i3 is a dual core, and the i5 is a quad core, so I would think that performance should greatly improve.  I don't mind if the program lags a bit here and there, but I really don't like waiting 10-20 seconds for a picture to load to be edited. Even if it took a couple of seconds to load a picture, I'd be ok with that.   I have plans to build a new machine later this year, but I am looking for at least some marginal improvement in performance right now.

Thanks in advance!

Otto Rentzsch

Forget it, I have a i5 3550, radeon hd7550 and 16GB RAM. I can compare Performance Luminar with Affinity and C1. The performance, spec. the Export is very  bad in Luminar. New Hardware? Then look for a new board and Ryzen 5 3600.

Austin Miller

Hi all. Please note that Luminar 4 requires at least Intel Core i5 for good performance. You can check the full list of recommended specs here - https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/technical-requirements

Please sign in to leave a comment.