New Luminar 4.1.1 update: better performance for editing sessions and support for the Dutch language.

Featured Answered

Comments

37 comments

Eckhard Meierkord

"Also, we have added one more thing for your convenience. It is an “Analytics” option where you can disable sharing data. To apply it, simply choose the Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off. "

I guess you are referring to MAC, but how to disable it in Windows?

Comment actions Permalink
    Frank

Sorry, no better performance for me (Windows 10) and where can I find the "Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off" to edit this option? Maybe it is only for the MAC version? 

My Luminar is version 4.1.1 (Build 5343) but in my opinion, there was no update.

I can't see any difference to Luminar 4.1.0. What a disappointment, once again.

Gus Panella

I found the same post in the News and Update channel.  I did not realize the same thing was posted in the Windows channel,,,   Since this is mre of a Windows question, I reposted here..

After installing 4.1.1.,  read this above:

"Also, we have added one more thing for your convenience. It is an “Analytics” option where you can disable sharing data. To apply it, simply choose the Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off.

As such looked for this: Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off

I do not see a Preferences menu anywhere. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Maybe this is only in the Apple version?

Ian Murrell

Alina Skylum

You said "Also, we have added one more thing for your convenience. It is an “Analytics” option where you can disable sharing data. To apply it, simply choose the Luminar 4 menu  > Preferences > Analytics > Off."

And where is that menu in the Windows version of 4.1.1 (5343) or is this another case of the Windows version being a poor cousin.

Mark Lazarus

Hi

I installed a trial version a few weeks ago and bought a license today for Luminar4 and Aurora. I was prompted to install the new version this morning and selected Tell me later (or something similar).

Now I am back home - If I look at Help/About in L4 is shows v4.1.0 (5191)

When I select Help/Check for Updates it shows 4.1.0 (5191) is currently the newest version available.

Shouldn't' it be allowing me to download 4.1.1 ?

Mark

Victoria Grace

Hi all,

Please, note that usage data is not collected in the Windows version of Luminar 4, so you do not need to turn off data collection in Luminar 4 for Windows. You may check for more details here:

https://skylum.com/blog/on-privacy-policy-at-skylum

Mark Lazarus please, get in touch with us via our support form at https://skylum.com/support and we'll gladly assist you in resolving this matter.

Gus Panella

"Luminar does attempt to contact the following sites during operation"
    This is good to know.  Thanks.

From inspection, Luminar does contact the following addresses during operation:

If these are not for usage data, then why are these sites contacted by the Luminar app during usage?

Michal F

My installation got stuck on 28% and cannot progress this software is a joke. Luminar 3 unusable due to performance issues, lum inar 4 better options, but even simple installation cannot complete, performance so bad that software almost unusable. 

Gus Panella

My solution was beer.  Let me explain.

I was stuck at 28%.  So I went for a beer.

Came back and saw 56%....  Hypothesis: Beer works.  Try beer again.

Came back and saw 72%...   Conclusion: Beer does help.  Confirmation run, try beer once more...

Came back: Installation complete.

I am convinced beer helps the installation.  

Additionally, the 3-beer installation process facilitates creativity in the next few image edits.  But seriously,  we should really think about adding a hot wings option. 

Victoria Grace

Hi Gus Panella and Michal F,

The next time, please, try to use the offline installer:

https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

Thomas Hillis

I tried several times to update to 4.1.1 but always give me the message to "Try Again" or "Contact Support."  What is the problem and do I need this update?

Marc Salvatore

I purchased Luminar after the first major update and have been really enjoying the software.  I only use it as a plugin for Photoshop CS6 and as a stand alone on individual photos so I cannot speak to catalog issues.

There are some things I'd like to see improved but the sky replacement is revolutionary for me.  I'm in Oregon and do a fair amount of Real Estate which includes cloudy days.  To be able to quickly and realistically replace a sky is so worth the price of admission.  I have not had any crashing and I'm running it on Windows 10, i7, 64gb ram, Nvidia 2070 Super with SSD drives. 

Keep up the good work guys...

Austin Miller

Hi Member,

Have you tried using the offline installers?

1. Mac - https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/mac/Luminar4.dmg

2. Windows - https://downloads.skylum.com/luminar4/win/Luminar4Setup_offline.exe

If the issue persists please contact us via https://skylum.com/support

WDeranged .

Crashes upon initialising Lightroom, when it checks the plugins I assume.  Didn't happen with previous version.

If this is what you call improved performance then I may not be using this software long. Working with Raw files is slow and exporting takes an absolute age and often doesn't work. i.e. When the export does, sometimes, actually finish, there is no file in the directory I asked it to be exported to.

I'm sure this software is great, but at the moment I am using the Windows photos package or photoshop express to scroll through and delete anything I don't want before editing the rest in Luminar because scrolling through pictures in Luminar is a slow and painful process.

Cheers

Margaret Bright

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding the latest update. We appreciate it!

Please reach out to our support team regarding the issues you are experiencing, so that our team could take a deeper look at these issues and troubleshoot them. You can reach out to our team via https://skylum.com/support.

We would also appreciate if you could enclose some additional information in your requests.

WDeranged ., could you please let us know your Lightroom version and the way you invoke Luminar 4 as a plugin?

Member, please let us know how many images do you have in your library and where are the folders with images located? 
    Please also send us your System Information:

• Press the Windows logo key + R.
    • Type msinfo32 in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have System Summary highlighted on the left.
    • Click File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
    • and attach this text file to your request.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Frank

Even if I was not addressed directly I would like to post again. I already told your support all this information you ask for, with the result that they CAN'T help me and I should wait for updates! That was with version 4.1.0 and now with version 4.1.1 I can't see any improvement for me. So I have to keep on waiting for updates... LoL (if you understand)

I also don't want to hear any more about the fact that I have too many pictures in my catalog. What is the benefit of a software with a library if you have to create 100 catalogues or so to improve the performance (maybe) a little bit. Also, my attempts with less pictures in a new catalogue did not help me at all! Why can other programs (by example Lightroom, ON1 Photo RAW, ACDSee or a freeware as FastStone Image Viewer) do this better? In these programs I can see a RAW-image in full resolution in 2 to 3 seconds in order to evaluate and rate it for example. In the first step I do NOT want to edit my pictures but organize them! So why do I have to wait 20 seconds for EVERY image to see it in full resolution? Because Luminar does something in the background which is not necessary at this moment, at least I can't explain it any other way. At this point, all this great Al technology of Luminar is doing absolutely nothing for me!
    If I have to wait about 5 seconds for an image processing (my second step) before I can start editing, I would still accept that but the 20 seconds Luminar ALWAYS needs is not acceptable for me.

Your question about the amount of images is just excuses for me, just use or write a reasonable database in the background and I guess the performance problem will be much smaller. In addition you can look to the two posts from Fleming Thompson (https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007572599-Need-Update-Luminar-is-27-times-slower-than-Lightroom and https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360007124879-Luminar-4-Architecture-and-Multi-Threading), maybe this is the great problem with Luminar?

Of course I know that the questions about the upcoming updates will not help us. Why should you give us useful answers if you don't even manage to keep your homepage up to date! On your homepage and even on the roadmap you still talk about Luminar 4.1.0, although version 4.1.1 is already available. So why should a roadmap (I assume you know what a roadmap means?) contain information about "future" versions.
    You don't even manage to provide detailed release notes for an already released version (4.1.1). Instead, there is only a nebulous headline ("New Luminar 4.1.1 update: better performance for editing sessions and support for the Dutch language.") and a statement about the "Analytics" option, which then only applies to the MAC version, which you can only find out on request. The information policy of you is just not customer-friendly! Please give us detailled information about the last update and upcoming versions. I can't see any changes or improvements between 4.1.0 and 4.1.1. Maybe there was no upgrade in the software and only the number has changed?

Sorry for my hard statements but I'm slowly losing my patience and fun with Luminar. You have to get the frustration off your soul sometime, if you know this phrase.

So, please don't come to us with the same statements over and over again but make binding statements about the software. As a customer, I'm soon feeling cheated out of my money. I have already supported you with the purchase of the software and the upgrade and would continue to do so. But first of all it's your turn to deliver the promised features! And these are not new AI features but stability and performance! With this in mind, have a nice day! I am looking forward to your feedback - Hope to hear from you soon ;-)

Margaret Bright

Hi Frank,

New Luminar 4.1.1. update is a minor update that included the improvements that we have noted in the initial post, which are:

• Dutch localization
    • Minor performance improvements
    • The ability to turn on/off analytics on Mac

In the meantime, our team is already working hard on the next update for Luminar that will bring more improvements in the app, including the performance, which is our top priority. We will also update the information on our Roadmap page soon, revealing the features that will be incorporated in the upcoming updates. Please stay tuned!

I completely understand what you are saying and I would like to ensure you that our team is working round-the-clock on making Luminar the best photo-editing software imaginable. There's nothing that I and the whole Skylum team want more than to provide our artists with an amazing software of the quality that they truly deserve. 

We appreciate each and every feedback. We listen closely to every word and work on improving our software in order to meet your expectations. That is why we ask our customers to stay tuned for the next updates. We will do our best to make sure that you will not regret choosing our software.

Thomas Hillis

I am still not able to install 4.1.1 update on Windows 10, even after disabling Avast and Windows firewall, as suggested because it was not accessing Luminar's server.  Tried the offline installer with same results. That does not appear to be the problem, Firewalls, etc.  Please find a solution.  Thanks! 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble installing 4.1.1! Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so we can investigate and resolve the issue.

Brian Simpson

Upon evaluating this software as a Lightroom replacement on my Surface Pro (i5, 8gb), I cannot in good faith buy this product. Performance in editing a photo is abysmal, and my library only contained the image I was editing. I have also tested others, such as DXO Photolab, and will likely be my purchase due to it's stability, features, and speed....which is a shame, because Luminar shows real promise, but lacks stability and speed, which matter greatly.

Anastasia Davis

Brian Simpson Hi! We are constantly working on the performance of the software. We would recommend reaching our customer support so we could look into your particular case: https://skylum.com/support

Aruna Kalutanthri

I tried it yesterday for the 3rd time, and Lumina 4 with the update is still so slow. Take so long to apply simple changes, and also to sync to 6 more photos. Then the export take time too. Sorry I hate to complain, I am comparing this with Lightroom, I want to move away from it as I am being pushed towards the subscription. If this fails, I will subscribe. I own both Luminar 3 and 4.

Myer Bornstein

Since I installed the latest update  The image I want to work on does not open in the program.  Using Luminar as a plug-in in PS.  I tried repairing the installation and still no luck.  What should I do next?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Myer,

Please reach out to our support team at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can investigate the issue. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Moritz Wellner

Dear Skylum Team.

I would appreciate if you stay clear of promises, to improve performance with the next update. We had to many next updates without performance improvements. I stayed away from Version 4 after trying it and finding out that the software was as slow as Version 3. Than I got a second trial period with 4.1 and it still is painfully slow. I don't need all this AI magic things but I need something to replace my Lightroom 5 (!!!!!) which is no speed demon but soooooo much faster than Luminar!

Also, I have to say that it is very disappointing, that you continue to charge money for versions that don't fix basic usability, add bloat und reduce licenses per user...

My two cents.

Cheers,

MoWe

Austin Miller

Hi Moritz. Our engineering team is working hard to improve Luminar performance and stability. Please stay tuned and wait for the updates!

Moritz Wellner

Hi Austin.

Nice try. heard that since Version three was released. Can I expect Updates for Version 3 anyway? Or are you only commited to Version four or five or whatever it is, when the performance finally gets usable?

I'm really fed up with your strategy of dropping support for older Versions as soon as a new one comes up. If I would like to spend continous money on a product to be sure that the developer cares, I can do monthly payments for adobe oder phaseone. If someone wants to make a point in not doing a subscription modell, that has to mean that the support is included anyhow.

Aruna Kalutanthri

I tried so hard to give version 4.x a chance, it was driving me crazy, so finally so reluctantly I subscribed to Adobe for Lightroom Classic and Photoshop combo. Feel terrible, but at least my photo editing is back on. I really hope you guys fix this performance issue, so someday I can cancel this Adobe subscription.

peter nadort

I'm a member since 2002, only software for the Mac. Bought everything but always problems. Answering the problem will most coming from someone else, never the same person and always "we are buzy with it" and so on. Now I promesed myself Luminar 4.1.1 (I'm from Holland and hoping that someone speaks and write Dutch. But not even one person. Found a officially teacher here in Holland, payd in advantige for the course and then waiting for the solution.

Sorry for my English and follow this up.    Regards, Peter.

Please sign in to leave a comment.