Does Luminar 4 purchase include standalone AND plug in?

Answered

Comments

5 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Chris,

Yes, you do! A purchase of Luminar 4 includes both the standalone application and plugin for Lightroom/Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, and the Apple Photos Extension.

Comment actions Permalink

Chris Woolsey : Yes, but you need to know that Luminar 4 DON'T support non-destructive editing via the Apple Photos extension. For this reason, the Photos plugin is useless.

Chris Woolsey

Can you please elaborate? Are you saying that if I use the Luminar 4 plug in on a photo within the Photos App, I will be unable to access the original photo once I close the plug in?

Not exactly, because Apple Photos allow you to revert to the original RAW file.

But when you save changes in the Luminar Photos extension it's impossible to resume your editing work on the RAW file; Luminar only allow you to reedit the jpeg file. The plugin doesn't store the necessary editing/extension data in the sidecar files, like some other Photos extension. It's really sad, because the Luminar Photos Extension is not always reliable and when it crashes, you will lose everything (and like I said, it's impossible to save without losing the possibility to edit the modified RAW file again).

Chris Woolsey : if you want to know more about how a Photo Extension work, you can read this excellent article from the lead developper for Apple Aperture : 

https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/

What Luminar don't do, is save the adjustement/extension data and it's why you cannot continue to edit your image non-destructively.

Please sign in to leave a comment.