Luminar sending data to Facebook!?

Answered

Comments

10 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Please check out the statement on our website for further info: https://skylum.com/blog/on-privacy-policy-at-skylum

You'll find a description of what is collected, what we do with it, and instructions for disabling anonymous data collection in the Mac version of Luminar 4. Note that usage data is not collected in the Windows version of Luminar 4.

Comment actions Permalink
    Kirk Osborn

Hi! We are using analytical tools and non-personified data to make the product better for you. Understanding your concerns about personal data privacy, we can guarantee that all the data used in analytics cannot be used to identify users.
    Always ready to help you clarify your questions. Please contact us at support@skylum.com

Steve Ratts

Is there an option to switch this off? Without knowing more about precisely what data you're sending it's hard to judge just how safe you really are - and I'm sure there will be some who are simply more comfortable not having any data shared.

Thanks,

Steve

Wolfgang Jarcik

Wenn ich Luminar 4 verwende verbiete ich nicht nur das Senden zu Facebook sondern ich blockiere noch viel mehr Zugriffe auf mir unbekannte Domänen mittels Little Snitch:

Bei Luminar 3 und Luminar Flex sind es nicht ganz so viele.

Norbert Seekircher

Kirk Osborn Can you be more specific about the kind of data you send to Facebook (and, if Wolfgang is right, to many more sites I don't want to share my data with)? "Non-personified data" might be everything from a click counter to thumbnails of my photos.

Thanks.

Norbert Seekircher

Thanks for the clarification!

Olivier Marsilly

Kirk Osborn said, "We are using analytical tools and non-personified data to make the product better for you."

Hello Angela Andrieux and Kirk Osborn,

You are talking about data like sending statistics, crashes, and bugs back to your company for monitoring, to make, as you mention it, a better product for your customers; but we are talking about Facebook here, and specifically about the graph.facebook.com address. How on Earth, can you delete data that Facebook has already? It doesn't make any sense, it's just impossible because as you may know, this information is sent in an instant today, we are not in the 1990s anymore, and this is clearly a questionable trend going on from your part.

Facebook is a media social company, a content publishing company and absolutely not a "platform", that publishes user-supplied photos, content, and information in order to sell advertising space. They call themselves "platform" in order to avoid any legal responsibility for their content on their Facebook pages. Now, what Facebook has to do with Luminar 4 with a sky replacement, color sliders, contrast, and everything? Absolutely and definitely nothing at all.

Do you remember when Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg was seated before dozens of members of the U.S. Congress in October 2019, who expressed skepticism over the company’s cryptocurrency plans? And why he and Facebook should be trusted after years of privacy scandals related to data breaches and the Cambridge Analytica affair and lost all his credibility? He and his company were accused of data-sharing deals, personal information and documents such as emails, webchats, presentations, spreadsheets, meeting summaries, including information about friends, relationships and photos as leverage over companies it partnered with.

Also, and I don't know if you are aware of that recently, but on February 10, 2020, the U.S. Government charges four members of Chinese military with Equifax hack and the suspects obtained information for nearly 150 million Americans. The hack exposed sensitive information, including names, Social Security numbers, driver’s license numbers and addresses.

Our photo editing and workflow are none of Facebook's business ... period!

Please, never underestimate your customers again. Just because we are graphic artists, photographers, 3D painters, etc. doesn't mean that we know nothing about the technology, security and privacy on the Internet today. If you really think that way ... I can assure you that you are completely wrong. This is all about transparency, so please, put a checkbox with a sharing data option in your next Luminar version, to allow your customers to send their personal data or not — Just like Topaz Labs, DxO or ON1 does for years already.

Thank you for reading my post.
    Best regards,
    Olivier Marsilly

OMG! Thanks to Petapixel to bring this to Luminar users! Its smell like the digital photography version of the "Facebook/Cambridge Analytica" scandal! ;-)

Sincerely, I never agree to send my data to Facebook, a company known for their bad use of personal data. I'm really not happy with this.

Helga Rowles

Hi!
    Analytical tools we use do not provide any means for personal identification, i.e. it's not connected to a name, email address, or other personal information in any way. If you don't want to share anonymous data, here's how you can turn it off:
    https://skylum.com/blog/on-privacy-policy-at-skylum 
    Besides, we will implement a special Do not share analytics feature in the next update.

af

Hi,
    this is an absolutely no go for me to use further your software.

Please sign in to leave a comment.