Keywords, please !!

Answered

Comments

37 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Denis, Tim,

We've been collecting and processing artists' feedback and feature requests for quite some time, and came up with a conclusion that people love easy-to-use tools and automatic enhancements.

We decided to make the development of new AI features our top priority.

At the same time, we are not giving up on Luminar 3. It will be updated with new functionality and performance improvements as promised.

IPTC support, Search tool, new cameras support will be available both for Luminar 3 and Luminar 4 users.
    Regarding LR migration tool: we are not going to develop it on our own. Currently, we are conducting negotiations with our partners that will be able to develop the separate migration tool for LR users.

You can check all the relevant information on our Roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

Comment actions Permalink
    Tim Stahmer

Keywords is not a "gift". It's a basic feature that should have been in the product when the Library was added. It certainly should have been in Luminar 4.

Keywords is way more than a year overdue.

Rakesh Malik

Agreed. Keywords and keyword search aren't features, they're core requirements -- it's not a viable asset manager without them, so not supporting them should be listed as a bug right along with your crappy file import tool that doesn't do its job.

José Hurtado

Obviously keywords should be a core feature. Editing tools are very important but if we want to use only one software for our photo library keywords are necessary. 

Geert Taelman

waiting with impatience... :-)

Rakesh Malik

I've mostly stopped using Luminar due to its lack of keyword support combined with the basically worthless import tool. I have work to do, and Skylum isn't interested in fixing this glaring omission.

It's too bad; it's a great editor, but its workflow is pretty sad.

Marc Fairorth

Agree. Luminar is not a stand-alone photo editor, it should really just be considered an add-in to full featured programs like Lightroom that provide some nifty auto development/image enhancement tools. Luminar is worthless as a photo organizing and photo management program, it has absolutely none of the basic essential features required (keywords, smart bins, intelligent import, bulk edits) and its clear they really are not putting serious effort into adding them. 

The Luminar 4 "roadmap" doesn't show any future dev plans for Luminar 4 and so my expectations are not high.

bill bane

Agree too. I hate Adobe and because of that and LR's weaknesses, would like to fully use Luminar.

Without keywords, Luminar continues to be just a "plug in".

Without keywords, why does one need a library?

Ramprakash Ram Mohan

I waited.... waited... and left!! Its sad and I feel a little cheated as I bought the license with the promise of having keywords and search based on keywords/iptc support "very soon" in an upgrade...

Johan Marengård

What’s the status on this?

I was planning to leave Lightroom for Luminar, since it looked promising. But after all postponements and (I’d almost like to say) lies, I barely use this overpriced plugin at all.

I’m not interested in magically changing a sky with the press of a button or whatever. I want a powerful editor with a library to organize my photos. And for that I need keywords!

Ramprakash Ram Mohan

Well... I moved to capture one and I’m extremely satisfied with what they offer. Give that a shot instead of fighting for such a trivial to implement but nonetheless extremely important feature that should have been there in v1.0.0!

bill bane

Johan,

Completely agree with you. Been hanging on with their bad updates (until recently) in hopes they could replace Lightroom. Now, they, like Adobe, abandon those who got them to where they are, and veer off into 100% "automatic", AND they are abandoning their flagship.

Someone should check. I bet they recently hired an Adobe executive....

Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

Please see this response from our CEO here regarding EXIF, IPTC, keywords, etc.: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360009673340-where-is-the-roadmap-for-Luminar4?page=1#community_comment_360002146140

Philippe Steindl

Hm, I also thought I was buying a good LR alternative, with some additional AI features. To be fair I did that, because another 3rd party article said so.

But my problem with Luminar 4 at the moment is not lack of LR features. At the moment, I am waiting for an update. Luminar can not read my Canon EOS R5's RAWs properly. Strangely, it does read them, as Luminar 4 seems to consider CR3 is CR3, while it isn't exactly. Sure, this is a new camera, but still... Adobe can read it in Camera RAW nowadays. And then there is the speed of Luminar 4 ... it is still feeling extremely slow. And there are somethings Luminar 4 offers, but are only done halfway. Like Automatic lens correction, that is not based on a lens database. Since lenses can have complex distortions, and not just a barrel etc, this isn't very satisfying, yet.

Pat Mavromatis

Read CEO's response. I get it, the vision etc. See, the reason why I bought Luminar was because it was marketed, at least that's how I perceived it, not as an alternative but as a BETTER version of LR!!! Bought Luminar 3 and then the upgrade to 4 again, waiting and waiting for promised features.

Have used the plugin a couple of times and that's about it. I need the basic features to make the move from Lightroom and it seems like they are not coming so some money well spent here . . . hahaha!!!

Anyways, one final note here, artists and creatives, I think, NEED keywords to do exactly what the CEO says, SAVE TIME!!! Unless you think digging through hundreds or thousands of photos in a photo editor, AI or whatever, trying to find the few you need for a project is time well spent and NOT a waste.

Disappointed . . .

Helena Carter

Hello Philippe Steindl,

Luminar 4 supports CR3 format, however, supporting CR3 format doesn't mean supporting all the cameras that shot in this format, thus, R5 support is to be added in one of the future updates. We know it's disturbing not to have your camera supported and having to go through this file converting, however, we're working on adding new cameras. We really hope for your patience!

As to the speed, it might also depend on your Library size. Moreover, Luminar 4 works slightly faster with internal drives.

Regarding Lens correction, we indeed have a Lens database inside the program. But sometimes, when the lenses are new, we do apply these corrections based on the general algorithms. Nevertheless, we're constantly improving our tools and filters to deliver the best editing quality even to our artists.

Helena Carter

Hi Pat Mavromatis,

Please, check your email, I've just sent you one. Hope to hear from you soon!

Philippe Steindl

Hello Helena Carter

Yeah, I am waiting ... patiently so far. I know Skylum has its ressources also in their new AI product and it's not a firm the size of Adobe and thus limited in progress. So I'll wait some more. not forever, though.

As for the speed. My library is nonexistent. I don't use Luminar atm due to the new Camera and the lack of directly supported RAW. It is slow if I add one or two files already. This is an AMD Threadripper machine wit 32 GB of memory, 16 CPU cores and two Nvidia 1080Ti GPUs inside and the images reside on fast NVMe SSDs.. it's a beast, hardware speed isn't an issue. Maybe it's all the previews Luminar is generating from 1 picture to show all its styles etc, I don't know. RAW fiels are big these days (around 40 MB for mine, depending on image a bit up or down), so we do need a bit more patience. But comparativley, LR or PS feel much faster.

Nitin Chandra

Ah well...Official now I guess about the keywords. RIP Luminar!

Purchased it hoping for the long-promised update as a LR replacement, but, nowhere close to that so far...

Erin Macalligan

Left a couple comment threads on this keyword issue, and with that CEO announcement it seems that this add is now dead for the next few years. Jumped in on this program with v3, and then got v4 as it was hyped a bit that keywords are coming. But sad to see it's not going to be added anymore.

Started using Luminar for personal photo touch ups and organization management, but once I finally got all my photos from over the years together it was impossible to manage without keywords to organize them all (Talking about 10k+ photos). With keywords this also makes searching very easy. As organizing was my main goal,  I brushed off my old version of LR and went back to that, and I'm very happy with the editing and organizational options there. Just took a bit of time to learn compared to Luminar.

As an editor, Luminar has been fantastic. And I'll keep Luminar 4 around on my machines as editing tool, as I really like that sky replacement and a few of the other features. As I'm not an experienced photo editor, something that can automate that process, like Luminar does, is very useful when the occasion arises. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

Denis Landry

YES !!!

For me it is official... When someone tell me I'll have the "keyword possibility" and I buy with confident, I really hate when they hold me 18 month on that and finally decide to not give me this crucial option...

Here I manage over 80,000 photos taken over 18 years...

So I decided to crash down Luminar and go with a thrue entreprise who keep their loyals customers by offering real important things...

Who really need sky changes, portraits automations, AI Amelioration, landscape ameliorations, presets, etc... ???

All the programmers time consuming on those artefacts is lost !!!  They only just have to add a keyword database to give a big functionality to this program...

Here I started to introduce Luminar to the Photo Club membres... I stopped it and I'll go with Lightroom !!

I also work a lot with Affinity Photo... Really great software for photo editing...

See you !

Philippe Steindl

Well, to be fair, the AI solutions, the autoediting, is apprently Skylums goal to provide soemthing Lightroom etc do not have. I get it, it is important in a business to have a marketable outstanding feature. And if you have missed it: you can get a full refund. No money lost.

But it is a bit strange to have so little file management (which sounds like an easy thing to add= on the standalone version. If you don't need that in the plugin idea, sure .. logically. I can do management with something else, though, but I wish luminar was a bit faster in feel. The wrong marketing was a big mistake, though. Can't do that as a firm .. but I think they got the hint.

Nitin Chandra

Agree...Luminar has its own space and users. Have tried almost every such app around and the ultimate conclusion, so far, remains the same...Nothing comes close to LR for management. All others are best used as plugins.

Johan Marengård

I agree with you guys. It seems like a simple thing to add...

I'm still looking for alternatives to LR though.

Have any of you tried Exposure? Is it any good? Can it replace LR
    They have released Exposure X6 now and I'm considering trying it. It has keywords... :) And layers too for that matter...

Nitin Chandra

Johan, there is no replacement for LR currently. Exposure is not a DAM. C1 cannot deal with a large number of images besides not being able to read some raw formats. The closest, on paper, is ON1 Photo Raw, but, it has major issues and crashers and cannot deal with a variety of files and supports on RGB images. I have already wasted money and tried to compromise for months...Nothing works so far...Back to LR.

Rakesh Malik

I've tried Exposure, and I liked its catalog system, but not its editing tools. I use On1 for most of my asset management now. Its enough for my needs, and has a decent editor as well, though the editor isn't as nice as Luminar, which has less extensive raw format support than On1. 

I'm not a fan of LR, so I can't compare; it's been far too long since the last time I used it. 

I might one of these days check out Capture One again; that's far more robust than LR editing wise, and from what I understand has very good asset management.

Rakesh Malik

It looks like Exposure X6 has gotten some nice improvements in its editing toolset... looks like it might be worth taking for a spin with its 30-day eval. 

Johan Marengård

@Nitin Chandra: Well, I actually quite like the way to add drives and folders to Exposure. And I like the way it stays up to date with any changes in the folder, unlike Lightroom where you have to synchronize changes.

@Rakesh Malik: Interesting to hear. I also like the catalog system of Exposure. I haven't had time to get used to its editing tools yet. I have used the 30-day trial of On1 and I liked it for the most part. I had an issue with it though, when resizing the images (for social media) when exporting. The photos lost a lot of quality and became grainy. I contacted the company and they could recreate the problem with my original files. Unfortunately they couldn't solve it. A new version of On1 is on it's way, but I'm not convinced they have been able to fix it in such a short time. Have you had any similar problems with On1?

Nitin Chandra

Johan Marengård, totally depends on your usage. ON1 also monitors folders, but, I have little use for that since I import using LR into an automatically created custom directory structure with all image files renamed with my custom template. With over a 100k images across 2 decades, management and reliability is a fundamental requirement.

Exposure x6 is somewhat better than x5, but, remains more or less the same. ON1, depending on your usage, is highly unstable and might be a total waste of time and money. C1 is also not meant for a large catalog besides other management shortcomings, but, is reasonably stable. Luminar works as expected for the most and is also reasonably stable, but, lacks any management.

The main issue, overall, is that all software will have more or less the same cost overall if you keep up-to-date.

LR comes with PS and PS itself has no real equal so far. Back to LR, there is still no real competition. I use Luminar and ON1 as plugins, but, rarely are those required excepting to play around to see what I would like the final image to be like and then it's back to LR+PS for any changes.

A recent example of hype is the ON1 Portrait AI...Luminar 4 portrait mode is light years ahead and has been for a while...Take a side profile and see what happens in ON1 vs Luminar...Assuming you are able to get the ON1 app to work first... :)

Johan Marengård

Hi guys!

I've tried Exposure X6 for a few days now. Unfortunately I'm quite disappointed.

The editing tools behave a  bit different (or will impact the image a bit differently) than in Lightroom, so it takes some time getting used to. But that's something you learn I guess.

But this version is very buggy. Several times when I edit an image, all of a sudden a bunch of my edits are lost. They disappear from the history and their effects on the image are also gone. 

X6 has also crashed and shut down three times for me this afternoon! 

You are right Nitin Chandra, that if you are going to buy every yearly version of Luminar, Exposure etc. then the cost will almost be the same as for a subscription. I was planning on upgrading every second or third year though, and then there is quite a difference. I don't want to be stuck with a subscription if Adobe all of a sudden decides to double the fee...

Please sign in to leave a comment.