Luminar 4 EXIF DATA?

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Thomas,

At the moment, you can view only the basic information about the photo in an Info tab. 

More info can be found here: https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/info-view 

Comment actions Permalink
    John Bradshaw

Thought I'd try using the album sorter. Left it an hour or so to read in about 25,000 photos. It doesn't remember the thumbnails once you've viewed in grid mode, which means if you go back you have to sit and wait for it to render the grid it drew already. Odd.

I went to edit the exif data to I could sort by Exif tags and groups and found there is no editor!?  Even stranger. I can see very basic exif data on the (i) info but seems that free packages allow even basic functionality.  

I looked at the dev roadmap and see exif editing is still planned for Luminar 3 but nothing for Luminar 4. 

So now I need to go and research for a decent album sorter now. I read reviews on skylum before purchasing and for some reason must have assumed that a built in album sorter had basic exif tagging, searching and editing abilities.My bad.

I don't know if there is any point in asking if this is planned as I need to start projects now, so will to need to find another solution. Besides, Skylum does feel a bit sluggish in use so I am not sure its album sorter would be good for my anxiety anyway :-)

Kate Williams

Hi John

IPTC editing and a Search tool are planned for future Luminar versions. They should be available as free updates. 

We'll also continue to release performance improvements. 

For now, for smoother performance, you can try to keep fewer images in one catalog and load them from an internal drive. 

To create a new catalog: File > Catalog > New, to switch between Catalogs: File > Catalog > Open. 

Sudhanshu Vuppuluri

I just purchased Luminar 4.2 today, and would require editing EXIF & IPTC information, and creating presets for the same. I can then set them for batches of images, before I export RAW files into JPEGs.

Please include the option to edit EXIF & IPTC info. at the earliest!

John Bradshaw

LUMINAR DEV roadmaps for updates do tend to be quite long. It might be quicker to just go out and buy a separate DAM which will have the advantage of being much quicker for sorting and More powerful at customised IPTC pre-sets for copyright, name, contact details. LUMINAR seems too slow for cataloguing or keyword searching, but the ability to edit a few keywords, even If only 1 picture at a time, might be useful.

Luis Rojas

John Bradshaw what DAM will you recomend that integrate well with Luminar? or how would you structure the workflow?

John Bradshaw

Iam not sure about “integrate” but probably the best at the moment is ACDSee that lets you specify the  *.exe file location of your favourite photo editor (I have a few for different jobs) so that it could launch LUMINAR as your chosen photo editor when you need to edit an asset. ACDsee also uses its own sql database in windows, making it fast. It’s ability to create albums (of say places you have visited) and keywords of say, ‘monuments’ (across those places you have visited) gives you powerful virtual search functionality where an asset can appear in as many albums and collection types as you wish with colour coding, favourite scoring, etc. It also adds a handy context menu to your windows file explorer.

Anyway, sorry Iam not trying to push rival products (though I don’t see them as rival at the moment as the same functionality is not present here...yet)

Alternatively Adobe bridge is A FREE DAM. You may have to register (I forget now) but the licence is £0.00 and they don’t advertise it.

i can’t say I have found a repeatable workflow (yet) as I tend to name my LUMINAR photo edits as a,b,c,d,e suffix on the original camera file name as progressive baselines (as no ‘notes’ in metadata possible yet) and let the DAM monitor and track file change/adds and deletes in the photo directory I share with other photo apps.

Yes it would be handy to label in LUMINAR but I think I would still use a separate DAM for quick sorting of newly added collections before I start on editing. I know my LUMINAR (on a 6 core PC) is sluggish almost frozen sometimes in trying to read photos (no idea what it’s trying to do). I gave LUMINAR it’s own directory and just use it for those photos I exclusively edit in LUMINAR. I did try it on a parent directory of 50,000 Jpeg photos a few times but it froze at some point and I had to kill it or it forgot the thumbnails. So I gave up on that.  I never found it particularly quick and haven’t dared to try to catalogue or edit RAW as I think it would melt my CPU!

I also use another photo editor for some AI edits, so  having an independent DAM between editors works for me to control the single source of truth. I also have overnight backups of the main and LUMINAR  directory changes and the DAM Auto saves its database to a separate location that is also subject to a further backup.

Tally Vickory

Not only edit EXIF data but be able to push to Google Photos or similar would be awesome.  It would allow me to leave Lightroom.  Hope this makes the list. Cheers

Please sign in to leave a comment.