Sky Packs

Answered

Comments

13 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Everyone,

With regard to Tom Pickering's suggestion - while it is possible to add custom skies in this way, we do not recommend altering the package contents of the application. Next time the application is updated these files will likely be overwritten and you'll lose the custom skies stored there.

Instead, please access custom sky images in the following way:

1. Navigate to the Creative Tab (a palette icon) 
    2. Choose AI Sky Replacement tool > Sky Selection. 
    3. Scroll down the list of the pre-installed skies > Load Custom Sky Image. 
    4. A dialog window will open where you'll need to choose your own sky image. 
    5. Confirm the selection and enjoy the tool!

AI Sky Replacement will work with your own photos if they are in one of the following formats: JPEG, JPG, PNG, and TIFF.  

I personally recommend keeping all of your sky images, textures, and LUTs in an easy to locate place on your hard drive so you can find them easily when you're ready to use them.

Comment actions Permalink
    RN

I have placed JPG sky images which I've downloaded from various web sites, directly into Luminar 4 > profiles > SkyTextures. Here the new skies are available immediately in the Creative layer > Sky Selection without having to navigate to another folder. Also sky image file names can be renamed to more descriptive names if it suits you.

So far everything seems to work well.

Roy Blackwell

Place your sky images in a folder of your choosing, then select 'Load Custom Sky Image' and navigate to that folder. 

See this post for how I handle this:

https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006783480-Luminar-4-sky-replacements?page=1#community_comment_360001077180

Darryl Brooks

Thanks, Roy. That is how I handled it after reading your posts on the forum. Like you said until Skylum incorporates a thumbnail viewer, which I would think is a simple API, this is the best solution. It's nice to pick from a drop-down, but as my library grows, that isn't feasible anymore. 

Darryl Brooks

That's not a bad idea. I'm in the process of renaming all of my skies now and may take a hybrid approach of the two methods listed here. 

I've got over a hundred active skies, out of almost 1000 total.

Leroy Schulz

I too was disappointed that there's not an easier way to select your own skies.  Hopefully this gets addressed soon.

Darryl Brooks

Yeah, that would be nice.

But I'm not talking about selecting my own skies.

I'm talking about incorporating Skylum skies that I bought from Skylum into the software I bought from Skylum that has an option called Download New Sky Images that points to where I bought the sky packs from Skylum.  

Leroy Schulz

Oh, I hear you.  I bought the same sky packs and was surprised that there isn't a simpler way to select those skies.  But then, there also wasn't an easy way to see what skies each package included.  The marketing email did not link to the product details on the website...

bill komissaroff

A bit off topic, but for those who have purchased sky packs, how are the skies?  I am a bit disappointed with the skies that come with the software.  I find that I can only realistically use two or maybe three of them.  (You would think that a Dramatic Sunset would actually be a sunset not just clouds....)  Is it worth buying new packs?

Tom Pickering

Remo -

Your suggestion works right, though it took some looking to find the right place on my PC.  For those looking for the correct folder on a PC, use the following:

C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\profiles\Sky Textures

Any JPEG files added there will become part of the selections available the next time you run Luminar 4.  This also means you can remove and/or rename the files that Skylum provides.

Leroy Schulz

Bill, to answer your question, I haven't had time to look at the Sky Pack images yet.  But I just tried to extract the images from the ZIP files.  Two of the three packs that I bought report "CRC Failed" and "Data error" messages.

I thought I could log in to my Skylum account and download them again, but nope. They don't show up there.  Why wouldn't all my Skylum purchases be listed there??

So I'll message support for downloads that are intact and will let you know about the skies once I'm able to review them.

RN

Thanks Tom for clarifying the full path of Luminar's Sky Textures folder which I should have done originally.

I've found some free useful sky images if you google "Sky Images Download". Luminar seems to accept TIFF format sky images as well as JPEG when placed in Sky Textures folder. Both formats seem to work well in stand-alone Luminar or as Photoshop plugin.

RN

Angela Andrieux comment that custom skies added to Sky Textures folder in Luminar profiles may be lost at next application update may be true, but I've saved a copy of the contents of Sky Textures folder.

At next application update, I replace the default contents with my custom list as I prefer to name different skies with my own descriptive names. Also having then all together in the Luminar Sky Textures folder does save navigating time when trying alternative skies.

This suggestion is for experienced users familiar with computer operating systems.

Please sign in to leave a comment.