Still no borderless printing in Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

25 comments

Emil Eggenschwiler

I have the same problem with a Canon inkjet printer. TS8000 In LR CC I can put "fill page" and the whole sheet is filled.

Comment actions Permalink
    Helga Rowles

Hi Emil, do you have a checkbox for borderless printing in your printing settings?

Alan, please let us know what camera you use.
    Could you please send us a sample file?

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at skylum.com/support.

Thank you in advance!

Emil Eggenschwiler

Hi Helga

I have a checkbox for borderless printing in my printing settings. This is set to ON.

Helga Rowles

Thanks for your reply!

Do I understand correctly that if you choose a file to print in Windows Explorer/Finder and use the same export settings, the issue doesn't occur?

Emil Eggenschwiler

I can print without a border in Windows Explorer. In the last box of the settings I can choose Borderless.

Alan Tyrer

Hello Helga

My camera is a Fujifilm XT-3

I have contacted support and this is the reply.

"Thanks for reaching out. 

Please be advised that, currently, our apps work only with your OS's standard printing dialog. Thus, all the results you get are due to your printer settings. 

You may want to check this article dedicated to borderless printing with your printer: https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CG15201~faq-00004ff-et7700?faq_cat=faq-8796127438924 
    We do have a more advanced printing dialog in our backlog of requested features though.

For now, we recommend you to export the edited photo (via File > Export) and use more advanced printing software.

If you have any further questions, please, let us know.
    Have a nice day!

I can print borderless from Capture one, On one, Lightroom and windows explorer.

Thanks

Alan

Kate Williams

Hi Alan, 

Please follow Helga's instructions and send us the sample image too. 

Alan Tyrer

Hello Kate

It is not any one image it is all images that will not print borderless.

As borderless printing is not supported as yet in Luminar 4 I would be wasting peoples time.

I will just wait for the updated version.

Thanks

Alan

Michael Muni

Printing, who would have thought that would be something any of us would want to do?

Kate Williams

Alan, we have received such a request from our tech team when we have followed-up with them regarding the issue. 

An image sample from your camera would be much appreciated. We'll do our best to put a higher priority on this case. 

Matt Orth

"An image sample from your camera would be much appreciated."

And what would the point of that be, Kate?  Alan is asking how to print borderless.  It has been acknowledged above and in several other threads by Luminar reps that Luminar has zero printing capabilities.  An image sample will not prove a thing or help a bit.  It is simply a shocking incapability in Luminar. 

See https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360018227891-White-borders-when-printing , search for others.

And please show us a little respect and don't say you'll mention this to the development team as a future priority.  Luminar reps have been singing that song for two years.  Just come out and admit that you have no plans to help people who print their pictures.

Doug Chamberlin

I agree with Matt Orth. I also cannot print borderless directly from Luminar 4 (4.1.1 (5343)). Also could not from Luminar 3.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Canon Pixma Pro-10 printer. All with latest drivers. Printing direct from Windows Explorer works borderless. Printing direct from Affinity Photo works borderless. But not from Luminar.

This is a major problem for me since I have dozens of frames and matts that I purchased to match the maximum size my printer can handle - but they work only if I print borderless. So my workflow is significantly interrupted to switch apps at the end.

How is it this has not been fixed over the years that it has been a problem?

How is it a particular image file was requested when this happens with all images?

I have been recommending Luminar ever since I discovered it 2 years ago. But I have stopped recommending it recently. Skylum is just not cutting it.

Alan Tyrer

It is a pity that borderless printing is not supported but it won't stop me using or recommending Luminar 4 as I love what it can do and is fun and easy to use. Overall the good points in Luminar 4 far outweighs the bad for me.

I just use Epson easy print and that is working well. I do wish it supported Loupedeck though so hopefully that won't be too far away. 

Helga Egilsdottir

Hi Alan Tyrer,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback despite this feature is currently missing.

Surely we consider to add it in future updates as well, however there is not set timeline for that. We appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts. Thanks!

Alan Tyrer

Thanks Helga

I think as long as Skylum listens and acts on feedback provided by their consumers they will prevail. Fujifilm is one example of a company that does just that and they are growing a large following due to their listening to customer feedback and providing firmware updates in order to give consumers the products that they asking for. That is the business model to follow.

Clever marketing and Lip service does not cut it.

Cheers

Alan Tyrer

Michael Muni

SkyLum Devs: Wait... People really print their photo's?

Us: yes please add support for printing photo's

SKyLum Devs: we are currently working on advanced AI features, maybe if we run out of ideas we will start working on common features like printing or photo importing

Doug Chamberlin

If you haven't seen your images as actual framed prints lately try it out! It will add a whole new dimension to your photography! ;)

K M

This is absolutely disgusting. I am currently using the software as a trial run and wasted paper because of this horrendous glitch. I check the Google and this thread pops up. It is such a simple request and fix, but there is "no timeline" for this suggestion. You also want users to send sample images to a random site? What about copyright issues? This is atrocious support and will probably lead to me not purchasing the software. Good luck to everyone completing a simple task.

Solved the problem, just export to photoshop and start again ! !

Michael Muni

That is not a solution

Matt Orth

I gave up on Luminar and am using Capture One exclusively.  That's a solution.

Michael Muni

I'll give Capture One a try, thanks for the info.

Jesse Phoenix

Spent 30 minutes before giving up and searching the web. I thought I must surely be an idiot for my inability fo figure out how to print borderless in Luminar 4. After reading this thread, I'm happy to know that I'm not the idiot on this issue. I'm finding Luminar is an excellent rookie image processor for social media and quick edits to share online. But as a professional app? Nope. Still no auto-edge masking either. What self respecting photo app doesn't have that in the year 2020?

Also, earlier today I tried to export and image I'd been working on for an hour with layered images. App froze up. Saw that this has been an issue for years. Good grief. Rookie app.

Alan Tyrer

I think that for the cheap price it sells for it is worthwhile, even with the shortcomings, in that it is unique in what it does do well.

I think that they need to come up with a pro version that addresses these deficiencies so that they can fund the improvement that are needed. They are on the right track though.

Jesse Phoenix

I thought the same thing after I made my post. For the price it is good. The lack of borderless printing, no edge aware brush, Could be part of a pro version I suppose.

The periodic freeze when exporting really needs to be addressed. If the app freezes on the export then you have to delete the entire Iluminar folder and you lose the work you did on that one image.

Fix these three issues and it will be a really nice app

Please sign in to leave a comment.