Sky photos that come with Luminar 4

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Roy Blackwell

No, does not make sense to me. Not sure what you are asking.

Comment actions Permalink
    Anthony Malave

In this photo the tree is my photo by the sky replacement was used by the sky that came with Luminar. So giving I am using a sky photo that I didn't take but with a photo I did take can I tell me friend that this is a photo I took, are these photos free to use like that?

Roy Blackwell

Yes, it is your photo and the default sky files are yours to use as you see fit. That said, it probably would be a good idea to inform your friend it is a composite (your photo with a sky replacement). Very nice photo by the way. Well done!

Anthony Malave

Cool and thanks for the compliment on the photo. I just didn't know what rights are on these photos that come with the software and if I want to sell my photos that I wouldn't get into trouble using them.

Christopher Lord

If you want sell your photos containing Skylum's replacement skies, as copyright law is a minefield. it would probably be best to get an official confirmation from Skylum that you can use them for commercial purposes.

I know that many photographic competitions absolutely insist that all elements in a photo are taken by the author even when the photo is a composite. (indeed some competitions don't even allow cloning and removing objects far less compositing)

There is, of course, another option - use your own skies - it is quite possible and I have done it. There may well be instructions on how to do it on this forum but there are also tutorials on-line which give step by step instructions so I won't replicate them here.

Hope that helps.

Kate Williams

We've consulted with our legal team before in order to receive the confirmation: you have all the rights for the photos with replaced skies, as it's your own photo that is in the core. 

Christopher Lord

There you go Anthony, all confirmed by Skylum.

However my point about competitions still stands as it's nothing to do with copyright but all to do with competition rules - always worth double checking competition rules before entering because even if you have entered before as  rules do change over the year and you don't want to have to hand back your award because someone notices that you didn't follow the latest rules for a particular competition.

John Markus

Christopher Lord and others. I  belong to a camera club on Cape Cod. One of the reasons for club participation is to submit images for competitions. The competitions include rules that all must follow. The ruling body for  Photo competitions is PSA (Photographic Society of America).I contacted them when I saw the Sky Replacement feature of Luminar4. Here is the essence of my note/question and their response.

As you are aware Luminar 4 contains a Sky replacement element which is pretty neat but raises a questions that I am sure you can help answer.!!!!

1. What are the rules re: using the Sky feature in competition?  One view is that this feature is the latest post processing technology and the results could be achieved using many other applications but Luminar is faster, cleaner, easier, etc.
    2. I understand that an opposing view is that 

the way the rules are now each photographic element must be that of the author.  You can clone in a sky as long as the sky image is yours. I assume that I can go out and shoot a sunset, load it into Luminar, save it and use it over and over.

I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Hi,

Your answer is correct. Sky replacement is fine as long as both the original and the replacement sky were BOTH shot by the maker. Same goes for other elements such as textures; fine as long as shot by the maker.

We are entering a brave new world with the technology that is being introduced by Adobe and other companies. Apple and other smart phone makers have also been inventing technology that blurs the line between what the maker does and what the camera/computer does. I’m concerned where all this is going with regard to competitions. We really need to keep the emphasis on the maker's skills, vision and art, not on what the technology can do.

Best regards,

Bill

John Markus

I believe this is a wonderful program and use it frequently. When I do I file it in a folder called Not For Competition to ensure that i do not inadvertently submit it to a PSA competition.

Just my thoughts

Rob DLAIN

How can I save my newly purchased California Sky objects into Luminar 4?

Description: After downloading California Sky, I followed the instructions: "Here’s how to upload custom objects in AI Augmented Sky tool: Navigate to the Creative Tab (a palette icon). Choose AI Augmented Sky tool > Object Selection. Scroll down the list of the pre-installed skies > Load Custom Image. A dialog window will open where you’ll need to choose your own image (AI Augmented Sky will work with your own objects if they are in PNG format with the Alpha channel or JPG format with a fully black background). Confirm the selection and enjoy the tool!"

When I returned to the drop down AI Sky collection my import is not there.

Do I have to import an object every time I wish to choose one? Why can't import a batch and they stay in the software? An answer would be much appreciated thank you.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Rob,

Luminar does not store additional assets such as purchased skies/objects/textures/etc, rather it loads each one individually when needed.

I recommend creating a folder on your hard drive that is easy to find in which you can store these assets and access them easily when desired.

Rob DLAIN

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your response and I hope in future updates the feature could be included where we can store purchased assets into Luminar.

Please sign in to leave a comment.