Luminar 4 unusable

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Vita Bergman

Hi Charlie!

Please make sure that your computer meets all the system requirements listed here:

https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/technical-requirements

Also, how many images are there in your library? Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Comment actions Permalink
    Charlie McCormack

Hi Vita

I have only 4 gigs of ram and 5i.

There are 740 images in the library.

They are on the internal drive.

I have an external SSD with them there too.

Roy Blackwell

@Charlie: 4 gigs of ram is woefully indequate for an image editing app, especially Luminar 4. I have 8 gigs on my Surface Pro 3, i7 and it works but not optimally by any means. My next computer purchase will have a minimum of 16 gigs and probably will opt for 32 gigs.

Charlie McCormack

Thanks Roy. 

My usual machine is a Dell Alienware with 8gigs of video.

Even that can take ages to export Luminar images compared to LR.

I am away in Vietnam and brought the MS Surface pro 3 with me.

Anyway, maybe slim dowm the library and edit only the five star images.

Charlie

Digital Interplay

Roy I have 16 gigs and it doesn’t matter. People here posting the same issues with higher end desktops.

The specs may matter in this case but not widely. This is a failure of optimisation across the board for Windows it seems.

Roy Blackwell

@Edwards: I agree. Good computer specs help but Luminar has, on the Windows platform, a good ways to go to optimize overall performance.

Digital Interplay

@charlie and @roy - I’ve considered that I COULD edit raw in lightroom to flatten the image totally to the most broad range black/white point ranges type of image and set the export options to jpg from there. Then use the tools in luminar. But that’s a pain. It’s a shame as the tools are quite nice and is like to properly use it. But anyway rendering in a more established raw converter the most neutral image you can draw from the raw then tweaking seems to be the best solution (if reports it works well with jpg are true)

That said the rx1 jog output is very nice and with dro on maybe could be fine - but I’d hate to not have a raw when I needed one.

Anna V

Hi! 

We will do our best to improve the performance of Luminar 4.

For now, please try creating a new catalog via File > Catalog > New.

If the issue remains, please contact us via http://www.skylum.com/support. Please make sure to describe the issue in a detailed way and copy and paste the link to this thread into the email to support.

Post is closed for comments.