Auto lens correction help

Answered

Comments

11 comments

• Official comment
    Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ian Murrell

Ming Chou Lin,

As far as I know, Luminar 4's Auto Lens Distortion Correction defaults to OFF, see atttached screen shot

See if ticking that box fixes the issue. The other possibility is that the darkened rounded corners might be from your lens hood.

Ming Chou Lin

Checking the 'auto distortion corrections', 'remove chromatic aberrations' and  'defringe' boxes would somewhat fix the problem. But I can't afford to do this for every 000-odd photos. To top it up, there's no Preferences option in the Windows environment to set this up.

Definitely not the lens hood issue. I suspect the RAW conversion is broken because it doesn't affect JPG. This problem consistently happens when I load the RAW image DIRECTLY using the Luminar 4 app. If I were to load the image using Adobe Photoshop, there is no distortion/fringe issues and to top it up; the problem did not surface even running Luminar 4 as a Photoshop plug-in.

It's a letdown because the purpose is self-defeating if I have to run Luminar4 as a plug-in than a standalone. The time  lag is already a turnoff.

Jan Moser

Hi all,

I am having the same issue when I am editing raw photos shot with my sony 6400. jpegs are not affected so far.

The next weird thing is that not each raw photo is affected and sometimes a photo is affected when opened the 5th time or else.

In the overview / thumbnail view the corners are shown right, the issue appears when double clicking on an image.

All the automatic distortion cerrection boxes are deactivated. As shown in my screenshot, no boxes are checked and I had resetted the picture to the original.

When I view the picture with windows photos app, in german it is just called fotos, all the pictures are shown correctly.

I have seen this effect with different lenses, with or without the lens hood...

Please tell me, that you can reconstruct the issue and that you are working on a fix or whatever.

Thank you.

Ian Murrell

Jan Moser

The dark corners could be a known issue when the A6400 is used at the wide end of an 18-135mm lens, sometimes made more obvious if a polarising filter is fitted in front of the lens.

Ex camera JPG's are not affected because of the in camera lens correction, but RAW shots will need correction in the post processing software. 

See https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/sony-a6400-review

and from near the end of that article

"There is a lot of digital correction going on with this 18-135mm lens, though. You won’t see it in the JPEGs, which are corrected in-camera, but if you view the raw files in a program that doesn’t automatically apply Sony’s built-in correction data you’ll see huge barrel distortion at the wide-angle end of the zoom range where the corners of the frame are actually clipped to black. This is clearly a lens never designed to be used uncorrected".

I get this at odd times with a Sony DT 19-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens on my SLT-A57 (and I do have a UV filter at the front of that - apart from anything else it provides relatively cheap lens protection).

So does ticking the Auto Distortion Corrections box in Luminar 4 correct it, or make it better?

Ming Chou Lin

This is more prevalent for wide-angle shots (the above shot was from a Sony DSC-RX10M4). 

The RAW works with other image software (I've tried DXO-Photolab and Capture One aside from Adobe PS) which have had the lens correction automatically turned on by default. But Luminar 4 is the outlier; even ticking auto distortion correction checkbox doesn't completely fix it, it improves the image but the dark clipping is still there, albeit smaller.

Another thing confusing is when viewed in Library mode, the lens distortion issue is absolutely absent.  

When moving to the Edit mode, compare the (default) unchecked auto distortion correction shows up (this adjustment always resets if you are trying out various Looks presets).

Now compare when the auto distortion correction box is checked under Edit mode. The dark corner clipping still persists, but smaller.

Ian Murrell

Ming Chou Lin

Re "......this adjustment always resets if you are trying out various Looks presets.

In case it helps, if you carry out any Lens Correction on your RAW image as the first step, then add an Adjustment Layer, you can then play with Looks without affecting the lens correction (the Lens correction settings are retained), and still be able to fine tune lens correction later by selecting the original layer.

Jan Moser

Hi all and thank you Ian Murrell for your quick reply.

Like Ming Chou Lin said, the picture becomes better when checking the Auto Distortion Corrections but the effect is still visible.
    I have the feeling that the image quality gets worse when checking the box, too. Sometimes it looks like iso 12800 or higher, a lot of noise is visible.

Before taking photos with the 6400 I used my a65 with the 18-135 mm and other lenses. I have never seen this effect before. I have to admit that I was using Photos and Aperture on Mac in the past.

Somehow I get the feeling that we won´t get a conclusion in this case. We are using supported standard gear and no unknown Lenses built somewhere so that is unsatisfiying.

Ming Chou Lin

Thanks Ian,

I agree that using the adjustment layer is a workaround, but like what Jan mentioned, the effect is still visible.

As my kit is a mid-size compact camera (neither dSLR nor mirrorless), I can't do much on the lens. As of now, I can only use Luminar as a plug-in instead of a standalone.

Oreste Luci

Hi,

I see this thread is quite old, but this "problem" still persists. Is there anyway to automatically apply lens correction?

I use a mac and in all other image apps the photos are loaded fine, without the Distortions and Vignette. It's really tiresome to apply corrections one by one. I cannot use Aurora HDR in batch mode for this same reason.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Oreste,

If you're using Luminar AI, you can create a custom Template with Lens Correction enabled, then apply this custom template and/or synchronize it across a series of images to speed up your workflow.

Please sign in to leave a comment.