Roadmap clarification request: v4 and v3

Answered

Comments

10 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Gus,

Luminar 4 is a replacement for Luminar 3.

We do still intend to implement some promised updates to Luminar 3, but all new functionality going forward will be in Luminar 4 (including an implements to the library added to Luminar 3.)

Comment actions Permalink
    Gus Panella

Thank-you for the clarification.  I am certainly looking forward to IPTC editing and the associated searchability.

Steve Ratts

Angela Andrieux,

If L4 is a replacement for L3 then why have so many filters been removed from it? Is there a plan to add those back in?

I realize some things have been moved or combined with other things, but the net effect is an overall loss of functionality coupled with some new functionality. At the very least I think Skylum owes it's user base some good documentation for if you did this in L3, now you can get the same effect by doing that in L4.

The L4 UI seems really dumbed down from L3. How about an "Advanced Mode" where the user can have the better L3 UI?

What is the plan to address basic needs such as a workable DAM? The DAM as it stands now is so flawed as to be useless - forcing any serious user into relying on other SW to manage photos and merely sending work from that application into Luminar for occasional work. Without serious improvements to the DAM there's just no way Luminar can act as the primary editor for anyone other than a casual shooter who's not really concerned with having a DAM.

I really want you guys to succeed, but at this point it seems Luminar isn't likely to be anything more than a toy I'd occasionally employ for specific purposes (e.g. sky replacement) from other more capable SW. It could be sooooo much more! This is deeply frustrating.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Steve,

Luminar 3 had a lot of redundancies thus tools were merged (and some renamed). You can find the conversion chart here:

https://media.macphun.com/uploads/uploads/skylum/pdf/Onboarding_Luminar_4_Blog_Post-2.pdf

If there are tools that were removed that are valuable to your workflow, please let us know. In order for us to make a case to the developers to bring a tool back we need to know what you're trying to accomplish.

As for the interface, many of those changes were made to improve efficiency, both for user workflows and under-the-hood processing. An advanced mode is a great idea that I'll certainly suggest to our developers. If you have additional feedback on what that would look like for you, please let us know.

With regard to the library - we'll be adding additional functionality later this year. The initial release of Luminar 4 was solely focused on new editing functionality, but we haven't forgotten about the library.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions or further clarify anything. I hope 2020 is off to a great start for you!

Gus Panella

That is a great start on a table.  This is helpful for those that only know V4.

May want to check over the accuracy of some of the lines (it may require an extra table column to properly assign old feature and new feature location.

* Color Category does not have hue shift... hue shift is actually under Essentials : Color : Advanced

* Where is tone in v4 (table indicates it is in v4)

* Where is Channel Mixer in v4 (table indicates it is in v4)

* If there is really an alternative, why would that be deprecated?  Maybe the alternative operates differently?  If yes, is it possible to describe differences for alternatives?

* It may be helpful to add "New for v4" indications where appropriate

Angela Andrieux

Hi Gus,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the conversion table.

Tone as a separate tool was deprecated as it was (mostly) a duplicate of other tools which can now be found in Essentials > Light.

The Channel Mixer was deprecated, thus is only available in Luminar 4 when loading a preset/Look from Luminar 3 that utilized the tool. In this instances it will be listed in the Deprecated tab (which only shows if a Look is applied that utilized deprecated tools).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with this sentence: "If there is really an alternative, why would that be deprecated?  Maybe the alternative operates differently?  If yes, is it possible to describe differences for alternatives?" Could you clarify?

A notation showing what is new in Luminar 4 is a great idea. I'll share it with the creator of the document.

Steve Ratts

Hi Angela Andrieux, I'm relieved to hear that Skylum plans to work more on the library. Can you answer some of these questions related to that?

Will Skylum provide a capability to merge catalogs? This is HUGE, and can't be understated. This is BASIC to a traveling photographer's workflow. We go out with a camera and a laptop, sometimes to remote locations where cloud access may be problematic or impossible, and we like to work on our shots while we're out on location. We NEED to merge that work into our main catalog when we get home. Your competitors allow for this. We need this in Luminar!

>>> On the merging of catalogs issue, I'm frankly deeply concerned that the Luminar catalog is still locked to a specific HD. Many people have commented on this when the DAM was first released in L3. This is a fundamental flaw, and I'd really love to hear that you guys have finally come to your senses are are going to move away from that terribad idea. This makes a royal mess of backups, and is a fundamental problem. Let's get that fixed.

How about an option where we can see file names IN the catalog? The current view is nice and very streamlined, but OMG, what were you thinking!? What about cameras that shoot both RAW and JPG? What happens when I shoot HDR with my Canon 5DMkIII and I get three RAW plus a JPG? What about when I then want to select the three bracketed shots and send them to AURORA!? Yeah, you really, really, really need an option to show the file names. And this is just one use case where that's super helpful. I'm sure there are lots of others, and I'm not the only one out there asking for this!

How about a way to automatically apply a watermark on export? Sure I can tediously mess around with each and every shot adding layers to do this - but it really shouldn't be that hard! Your competitors are doing this! Why can't Luminar?

What's the status on the ability to import a LR catalog? There are many users who've got years worth of work invested in their LR catalogs - edits, keywords, metadata. We can't just ditch all that!

Speaking of metadata... Need I say more?

Doug Chamberlin

Steve has summarized the most important needs related to the DAM pretty well. I dare say most Luminar customers need at least one of these improvements. Most likely two or more.

We really want Luminar to improve! How about an update that just focuses on the DAM features? Soon?

Kate Williams

@Steve, all of our plans for the nearest future are listed on our Roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap.

For now, IPTC editing and a search tool are the ones that will be added first (if we're speaking about DAM enhancements).

The features you're mentioning (i.e. watermarking, merging catalogs, file names in a grid view) are definitely important, and we have them in our backlog, but for now, there's no precise timeframe for their implementation. We're a rather small team that is working around the clock to make Luminar faster, more stable, better editing-wise and implement new functionality. Each update brings some positive changes which are the result of our devs' hard work. The implementation of the features you're referring to requires time and resources and thus they cannot be launched all at once. However, they will be worked on in a long-term perspective.

As for sending brackets to Aurora from Luminar - I'm afraid this is not currently possible at all due to the fact that Aurora needs to be updated before it can fully support either Luminar 3 or Luminar 4.

Community Forum will be the first one to know if we have any news regarding these features. We'll make sure to post any news once it becomes available. 

Steve Ratts

Kate Williams,

Thanks for the feedback on what features to expect first - and the perspective on how you're addressing the backlog.

As for not being able to send bracketed photos from Luminar to Aurora - that's not quite true. You can send bracketed shots to Aurora, you just can't easily get anything back.

If you select a set of bracketed RAW files in Luminar (I'm using 4.1.0 (5709), but this also works in earlier versions), and then select File > Open In > Aurora HDR the files will be opened as a bracketed set by Aurora. Once you're done with things in Aurora, you'll need to do a Save As and place the result in the correct destination folder. Luminar should notice it there and viola, you've got your HDR. Not as easy as using the LR Plugin, but it works.

If you instead try to use the plugin, then you're correct - it will bomb pitifully and Aurora will only get the first shot selected.

Cheers,

Steve

Please sign in to leave a comment.