Luminar 4.1.0 - How to Update?

Answered

Comments

50 comments

Anastasia Davis

Dieter Blohm Please reach our support team so we could investigate your case: https://skylum.com/support
    Didier DUPRAT Sure, you will be able to use your Luminar 4.0.0 catalog.

Comment actions Permalink
    Vlad Berson

Just to share my experience:

• uninstalled 4 per support's instructions, and installed 4.1 from the downloaded exe.
    • The install did sit for a while at 28%, but eventually woke up and finished.
    • Prompted to reboot windows, which the original 4.0 didn't require, but whatever.
    • I did NOT create a new catalog. My existing catalog is approx ~27k images. 
    • The new version runs faster on image preview load and opening the next image (approx 7 seconds max, vs. the 10-20 seconds it took before. 
    • My computer is from 2013; i3-3220 @3.30ghz, 16gb RAM, AMD Radeon 6670. So that's pretty good performance on an old machine, or at least better performance than 4.0.

Good job on the progress, Luminar crew, but you have some ways to go on performance!

Two questions for Luminar (or for the community):

1. Where are the official release notes for 4.1?
    2. What is the greatest impact on performance: CPU, GPU, RAM, or catalog size?
    Didier DUPRAT

If this can help...

I 've made a test with L4.1 with a 12Cores/24VCores AMD CPU.

L4.1 manages very well the load balancing between each vCores.

See below, when opening e new folder including several hundreds of pictures that L4.1 read for the first time.

Later, even after closing and reopening L4.1, reading the same folder doesn't generate such CPU activity.

Good job for this (but no GPU activity recorded here).

Paul Wags

CPU i7 8700k-16gigs ram-intel integrated Graphics 560+GTX560 card-Win10 64bit running 7 hard drives and twin screens. :-) Ran the program, hit check for updates and let it do its thing. Took some time to download and install but all running fine. Have you got details of new features/fixes..Good job....Cheers.

Peter Smith

WARNING: If your previous edits are important to you, DO NOT follow the procedure below, contact Skylum support instead.

I finally got L4.1 working on my main PC where previously it would not run past the splash screen.

I posted earlier that I also installed it on an old clunky PC and it ran fine.

The difference between the two machines is that the older machine had never had L4.0 loaded before, it was a fresh install.

So, I removed all files and folders and registry entries for L4.0 from my main machine including all catalogs as it was not important to me to keep them or any of my previous edits.

I rebooted the PC after its cleanup and installed L4.1. It ran, prompted me to activate, then showed the Catalog selection/creation dialogue. I created a new catalog with some 30K+ images and it's now working as expected.

My opinion is that when installing L4.1, even after first uninstalling L4.0, it has some kind of issue opening the L4.0 catalog which is not removed during the uninstall process.

Kate Williams

@Vlad, the official release notes will be published once the update is launched globally. 

The greatest impact on the performance is made by CPU and RAM as well as the catalog size and the location of the photos. 

@Peter ,  a simple reinstallation of the application does not affect the Catalog. If you want Luminar to lose the connection with the catalog, you need to change the name of the Luminar Catalog folder (for Win) and Luminar Catalog.luminar file inside this folder for Mac.

For any issues similar to yours, we recommend contacting the support team at https://skylum.com/support.

Chris Groome

Heard nothihg from support regarding inability to install L4.1.  To repeat, it installed fine on laptop (i5 processor) but on desktop (i7) will not, despite uninstalling L4, cleaning registry, deleting L4 file in 'Roaming' , Re-naming  L4 library etc.  As I mentioned earlier - is there an msi file rather than an exe file package since the msi file works to re-install L4.0?

Spent (wasted) a lot of time trying to install L4.1 and support seem very quiet - hopefully they are trying to find a fix.  Last time I had a problem support took nearly two weeks to reply and I eventually solved the problem through trawelling through posts from users.

Please HELP.

Wiel Paquay

If you uninstall the old version, what about the extra looks I imported into Luminar?

Michael Källman

Can't say I've tested for more than some hour, but found one strange behaviour I would like bring to the attention of the Support.

Being quite careful and have not added any folders. Just working with a single RAW-file so far.

And the improvement is obvious, as there are ALMOST no shut downs at all. I made different kind of Tool edits, used Layers and Masks and nothing seemed to initiate the previous kind of totally random shut downs.

But when I tested some Looks strange thing happens as shut down is initiated as soon as the Magical Forest was selected. I've not tried all sets of Looks yet but there was no problem until that one was selected and displayed. When the Look adapted to the work area it allways ends with a shut down before you can start edit. And as that view is saved and entered at next start-up it ends with a new shut down. Every time. At least a specific 'trigger' here. I'm really interested in comments from support on this. I found out some more around this.

The work around to be able to start was to re-name the image file in the folder and then re-start Luminar. The fact that the original image file aren't detected somehow prohibit a new shut down, even when the Look is selected (the pic is still represented by a view but Luminar have lost the path to the RAW-file). I then select another Look (like Essentials) and close Luminar, re-name the file to orgiginal name and now I can open Luminar and work with the pic again (all previous edits are still there). I've tested this routine a couple of times now and it is ALLWAYS the initiation of Magical Forest Look that crashes, and to restore I have to fix it with the procedure described.

Very strange. The combination of a connected RAW and the selections of a specific Look inititate the shut down. Can't see what eats that CPU as in this situation I didn't even apply a Look - it was enough that Luminar generated the sample pics in the bottom. It then couldn't start up as long as the RAW was in path and the Look displayed, but could start if the RAW was 'lost' or the Forest Look not selected.

As I tried that Look before the upgrade, when I worked from Lightroom and used 'Plug-in transfer' (that in fact transfers the RAW to one single Luminar edit that returns a TIF) I could work without the shut downs. It was my temporary solution waiting for the upgrade. As I then found that Look and tried it I knew it worked from the LR->Luminar workflow. Therefore I tested that as well now. And THEN there's no problem with that Forest Looks.

Anyway it was bad news that something inititated a shut down after all. At least there's a connection to a specific task but I haven't tested everything yet. But I point out that it seemed stable otherwise so it was a bit sad that it occured at all.

I will keep on testing and perhaps add some folders so Luminar has more that one pic to track. Would be great if it handles the archive but one step at time.

Ivan Rivera

I recently built a Ryzen 9 + 32 GB RAM desktop as Luminar 4.0 was frustratingly slow on my relatively modern notebook. This changed with Luminar 4.1; now my notebook performs adequately too. Please keep this momentum going and continue to work on fixing the issues with this software.

Margaret Bright

Chris, could you please reach out to us via https://skylum.com/support? Our Support Team will be happy to help you resolve the installation issue.

Wiel, you can previously save the folder with the looks somewhere where you can easily find it. Type %appdata% in Search (folder Roaming should open) and find the folder “Luminar 4”. The looks will be located in Luminar 4 > Data > Looks.

Martim, thank you for making a screen recording, we will be able to share it with our technical department. Please note that the update hasn't been launched globally yet, that is why there weren't any notifications. We have located your email and someone from our Support Team will contact you shortly regarding the issues you are experiencing and your refund request.

Michael, thank you for bringing this error to our attention. This one definitely needs investigation. Could you please contact us via https://skylum.com/support regarding this issue? In your request, please provide us with the information on the OS that you are using and please send us a screen recording of the issue so that we could try to reproduce it.

Here's how to record your screen on Mac: https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

If you are on Windows, you can use Monosnap to record your screen: https://monosnap.com/welcome

Here's how you can send us the file with the recording:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the form.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ivan, thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that the update helped improve the app's performance. We will make sure to keep working and further improving our software to provide the best editing experience to all of our customers.

Chris Groome

Margaret,

I have told support I have a problem and suggested they read my posts to save me having to repeat the whole sorry tale.

Do support not read the posts?

Thanks

Margaret Bright

Hi Chris, 

At the moment, the only way to contact our Support Team is via this link: https://skylum.com/support

But I will pass your request to them, and someone from the team will reach out to you via email shortly.

Chris Groome

Now resolved - opened L4 and the update came straight up and installed.  Now to test.

Thanks Margaret

Zoran Kanti-Paul

Mine installed fine, but warned me about not being able to install plugins? What plugins? I did not know I had any??

Chris Groome

Worth the wait for the upgrade.  Faster, more stable - a pleasure to use.

Well done Skylum/Luminar - many promises fulfilled. IPTC on its way hopefully.

Michael Källman

Margaret Bright: After all is done as you requested I now posted a link to film clips in the Contact-supoort-form. A LOT of work and hadn't used any of the film software nor the sharing files Environment so I really hope Everything worked. I noted clear reference to you personally / MIchael

Urs Wuest

Updated with ‚check for updates‘ , straightforwarded. No issues. And can really note significant performance improvements. The catalogue with 30k photos swiftly displayed. Edits quick. Only export function still slow. Have a iMac late 2013 with 8G RAM. Starting to like working with Luminar more and more!

Allan Hey

4.0 was working fine - 4.1 upgrade broke it, stuck on start-up screen like so many others. 

Tried uninstall, reinstall, reboot computer, etc, which didn't help.  Can't find a simple way to return to 4.0 (should have saved the exe file!).  Suggestions for fixes would require me to invest a lot of time which I don't have, and energy that I could be using on enhancing photos, considering that this program offers little that I can't get from, for example, On1 Photo RAW.  

I'll wait until Skylum fix the problem - it shouldn't be my job to perform work-arounds for what is obviously a buggy Skylum release.  Certainly doesn't leave me inclined to pay for any further 'upgrades'. 

Andre Czimmek

Die Zeilen von Allan Hey könnten auch von mir sein.Ich habe das gleiche Problem mit dem Update von Luminar 4 und warte auf eine normale Lösung.Es ist traurig von Skylum, dass man viel Zeit investiert, für ein bezahltes Programm , was sich nicht einfach updaten lässt.

Post is closed for comments.