Luminar 4.1.0 - How to Update?

Pinned Answered

Comments

50 comments

• Official comment
    Angela Andrieux

Hi All,

If you're having trouble installing/running the 4.1 update, please try the following:

• Press the Windows key + S on your keyboard and type in Add or remove programs. Windows will suggest the matching app, open it.
    • In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    • In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    • In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    • In the list of installed applications locate all entries that have Microsoft Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable in the title and uninstall them one by one.
    • Download Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable here (click this text to open link). Select your preferred language, click Download, mark vcredist_x64.exe with a checkbox, and click Next to download it.
    • Download and install vc_redist.x64.exe from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads  (it already has packages 2015, 2017 and 2019).
    • Reboot your PC

In case the issue persists, send event logs to support@skylum.com:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email.

In order for us to directly track this issue, please send us your HID1 and HID2 codes:

1. Download this application: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pf15jdigd0mgt4/ViewHID.exe.zip?dl=0 
    2. Launch it.
    3. Copy the HID1 and HID2 codes from the application's window and send them to us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Chris Groome

Downloaded link but when I click on the downloaded application to update, nothing happens!

Kirk Osborn

Hi Chris!

Please uninstall the previous version of the app before installing the update.

Michael Källman

Simple quest. I have a very few added single edits. The last one appearently to Heavy as the program shut down when the interface loads (didn't that without that edit). Would like to save it but is it Worth to re-use this present catalgue after upgrade or do you stongly recommend not to add anything 'old' ?

Michael Källman

Read above and a bit confused? First the installation starts from withing an opened version (impossible to me as the app shuts down when loading at the moment) then you recommend an un-install. So the downloaded exe is a complete installer and do not need any previous installation? Or should I first install with my previous installer and then upgrade with the new one?

Roy Blackwell

Downloaded the 4.1.0(5191) update (606MB) and installed. Now checking things out. Note that I did not uninstall the previous version, just chose the upgrade option. 

Jakob Veje Hansen

Aw man this is great news! Upgraded without any issues at all and looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Thanks for your effort :)

Roger Hunt

I was just about to purchase Luminar 4.0 Inspiration Edition from a link sent to me by Skylum Support team the day before yesterday. If I use that link, will it contain Version 4.1 or Version 4.0. If the latter, will it cost me extra to upgarde to 4.1?

Thanks

Roy Blackwell

The 4.1 update is a free upgrade to Luminar 4, per Skylum.

Roger Hunt

Many thanks Roy Blackwell 

Kirk Osborn

We recommend uninstalling the previous version of the app before downloading the new one from the attached links. This way you'll be sure that the old version won't cause any conflicts.

As for the Luminar Catalog, we recommend creating a new one if it's not a problem for you. Still, Luminar will also work with your old catalog.

Chris Groome

Hi,

Did as you suggested and uninstalled previous version.  This worked fine on my laptop but cannot get past the UAC screen on the desktop.

Checked and definitely uninstalled, powerd down and restarted.  Any ideas?

Michael Källman

Ok, thank's a lot. I do the same as the Support advices I got Before, un-install and a Clean up of clutter and Registry so it starts up with demand of License key then? Eager to test the upgrade but have to wait until tomorrow. Hope there are some positive reports from other users by then :).

George Mentzikof

First impressions. Faster! No crash when scrolling library plus shows loads images much faster! Export still is not that fast but at least they added info and cancel button! Better memory management! Now it correctly empties RAM when start editing new photo plus I didn't see usage more than 50% (16G Ram). Before I had 90% and when changing image it was not freeing Ram. Time to start edit vastly improved. I hope it stays that way. Good job Skylum. I think you are on right path this time!

Chris Groome

Still can't install the update.  Tried cleaning registry, restarting etc.  Now I don't have Luminar 4 at all on my main computer.  Should I reinstall the original version so I have something to use until you can find a solution?

Chris Groome

I have now reinstalled Luminar 4 original version on my desktop and working.  Still can't update to latest version.  Can't get past the UAC screen - I click on 'allow' and the install just stops.  Very keen to update but cannot see how.

Awaiting help.

Mark Barnes

Hi Kirk,

I want to start clean with 4.1 so it will use my Pictures (mac) folder rather that one I created as a work around until the update arrived. To clarify from your post above, it's best to delete 4.0 and install 4.1? Best to use AppCleaner as well, yes?

To delete 4.0 do you recommend the procedure bel that received from Support a while ago, or just use AppCleaner only.

• delete the app with AppCleaner. Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner 
    • Go to Pictures -> Luminar 4 Catalog and rename this folder (if you have created the Catalog in another Location, please navigate there and rename the Catalog folder).
    • Open Luminar 4 Catalog folder, locate the file Luminar 4 Catalog.luminar and change its name too. 
    • Go to Application Support (launch Finder > Go > Go to Folder > paste /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software and delete Luminar4 folder.
    • Go to Terminal and type: defaults delete com.skylum.luminar4 , then click enter.
    • Then download and install

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Guido Erlinger

Quote:
    As for the Luminar Catalog, we recommend creating a new one if it's not a problem for you. Still, Luminar will also work with your old catalog.

Why do you recommend creating a new catalog?
    Did you change the internal structure?

What is the difference between old/new structure?
    Is there a way to convert old catalog?

Rhadames Alonzo

I really don't know why I keep giving Skylum more and more chances. Installed the new 4.1 update and now Luminar is stuck on the startup screen with no activity. CPU activity stands at 0% as does the GPU and HDD. This is just ridiculous.

Gus Panella

There are at least 3 threads that mention stuck on start up screen.  To try to condense into one thread, I am adding my  addition from this morning in this thread.

In essence, I am seeing the same as mentioned above.

Let start with, Luminar 4.0 was running as expected before I tried the update. 

Attempted update to 4.1 from the Help> Check for Updates which failed. Next, attempted re-installs and reboots from downloaded off-line installer per Slylum (Kirk) download directions on this forum.  Stuck on splash screen in both cases. 

Tech support request submitted.  Fingers crossed.

The good news:
    Attempted to put back v4.0. Success.  v4.0 is back (and working).

Peter Smith

I'm seeing the same problem (Win 10 PC) that others have already reported. As per the instructions I uninstalled Luminar 4, then installed L4.1. All I see is the (much smaller) splash screen.

Saravana Janardhan

Update:

Issue fixed. i was able to install now.

just renamed the luminar folder at "C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4" and install completed successfully.

Im trying to install the update but get below error. It stops at 28%.

Note: I uninstalled older versio (4) before attmepting to install the update.

Please help.

Didier DUPRAT

You suggest to uninstall L4.0 before installing L4.1, and also create a  new catalog.

But what about the edits made on pictures previously with L4.0 ? Will they be lost ? Quite sure, no ?

Any way to keep these edits from L4.0 ?

Michael Källman

Well I guess connecting your former catalogue is enough. It has the tracks to those edits. I just have a few as I was recommended before the re-installation caused by the shut downs NOT to do more than single edits. Later today I will test the upgrade. Seems like people having trouble still Reading this thread. We'll see what happens...

Chris Groome

Just noticed that the Luminar 4 original installation file was a .msi file whilst the L4.1 is a .exe file.  Maybe support could give us a link to an .msi file which might work for us all after uninstalling L4.

Still can't explain why the update went flawlessly on the laptop but not the desktop! (Both Win10).

We all await a respose (and solution) from support with baited breath!

Peter Smith

I've already reported on here that my main 3 year old Core i7 + 32Gb RAM Win10 PC  won't run, it stops at the splash screen. I decided to try installing it on my 10+ year old Core 2 Quad PC + 8Gb Ram Win 10 PC and it works fine, very snappy.

Didier DUPRAT

If I keep the L4.0 catalog (and uninstall 4.0/install 4.1), will L4.1 be able to use my old 4.0 catalog ?

Dieter Blohm

After uninstalling 4.00 and reinstalling 4.1, Luminar no longer starts. After the start screen is over.

Michael Källman

So far so good. I do not have any spare time this afternoon to do serious editing but I just installed the updated version. Before that the very same uninstallition procedure that was recommended by support (regular un-install, the %appdata% delete, renaming last Luminar folder and in addition restart and then regular Registry fix by my software CCleaner64 and a new start).

From that Point I installed with the new installer, registered the licens key and started the program. Added one singel image edit and did some cropping. But haven't time for more at the moment.

Everything worked fine without shut down so far but not really a Heavy test. That comes later but at least the program opens and work, and that don't seem to be the case for all of us here? As some one found different performance  depending on processor or machone I might add that I have Intel Core i5-8600K CPU 3.60 GHz configuration.

Tomorrow I've done some more testing. That will tell if this version was a real fix. As my old software did let me work fore a couple of minutes, and then was shut down. Really hope I don't experience the same after more heavy testing. With the teaser of trying Tools I have plans for some images, so I'm eager to be able to rely...

Stephan Hughes

Runs much better...but still Freeze's my entire computer when I try to export. Can't do much if the program doesn't let me save out my photos. Even free and open source programs have gotten it right. How are you still screwing this up?!

Post is closed for comments.