Aurora crashes instantly on Catalina when I click “Create HDR”

Answered

Comments

7 comments

• Official comment
    Anastasia Davis

Hi Michael! Indeed your camera is. not supported yet. Nevertheless, we are constantly working so to add new cameras support. We will add EOS-R support in the next. update. There is no ETA for the update, though. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, there are known issues with Aurora HDR 2019 on macOS Catalina. However, please reach out to www.skylum.com/support so we can look into your specific issues and we'll see what can be done.

Michael Hoffman

Hi Angela,

I have reached out to the support team; however, likely due to the holidays, I’ve not heard back except for the auto-responder. Thanks for confirming that there are known issues... at least I won’t go banging my head against the wall trying to fix something on my end. 

happy New Year!

Mike

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

What is the email address you used to contact support? I can ping the team and see if I can expedite a response for you.

Michael Hoffman

Hi Angela,

It’s michael_j_hoffman and that is at outlook dot com. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Michael Hoffman

I heard back from the tech support team, and they correctly identified the issue as my raw CR3 files from my EOS-R. It turns out these raw files aren't yet supported in Aurora. The official suggestion was to convert to DNG (which I normally do within Lightroom, but I was experimenting with a non-Lightroom workflow using Luminar 4).

I was able to export TIFF files from Luminar and successfully combine them in Aurora HDR 2019. So I have a workaround, but the integration from Luminar is broken (Open In > Aurora HDR...) unless I convert to DNG first.

I'm sure this will soon be fixed with an update, but I have two beefs:

1. A program crash caused by an unknown file type from a new camera is quite concerning. There will always be new cameras, and while I don't expect a new file format from a new camera to work immediately up[on release, I would expect Aurora to fail gracefully without a crash.

2. The EOS-R has been out for quite some time (15 months), so it's pretty disappointing that the support for the not so new camera is still lacking. More than a year is WAY too long for support for a mainstream camera.

Kate Williams

Hi Michael,

1. If the camera is not supported, the files are usually not read properly / distorted / have a black line on one of the edges, etc., the software usually does not crash if the file format is not supported. That's rather an exception. 

2. CR3 files are now supported by Luminar 4, and their support will be implemented in Luminar 3 soon. However, we have no ETA for the next Aurora HDR 2019 update, as Luminar is our main focus at the moment. 

Nevertheless, we'll let everyone know if there's any news regarding the following Aurora release. 

Post is closed for comments.