Exposure blending with L4

Comments

12 comments

Egidio Leitao

Michael,

After reading your post, I'll have to try this approach to see what results I get. I will post my comments after I've tried this technique with L4.

Egídio

Comment actions Permalink
    Michael Sonshine

I find I have to play with the Opacity slider as well as as adjust the layers to get the best results, but I have been surprised at how good the final results can end up being.

I use the Difference blend mode to align the layers although it would be a lot easier if the developers would allow use of the arrow keys to move the layer when in Layer Transform mode.

Egidio Leitao

So, how different would this be from merging bracketed images? 

Michael Sonshine

Well, it is merging bracketed images, only not using HDR software.

My main problem with software like Aurora, an older version of which I have, seems to me that most images come out too "cooked" to look natural. That can be addressed by turning down the tone-mapping and saturation, but often they still do not look natural. I can almost always tell the images that were HDR merged when I look through my old images.

This offers a way to make merged images look more natural, but that is the only advantage. If that is not important to you (some people love HDR images) or if you don't do HDR, then none of this is important, but I found that I was able to create merged images that were much more natural looking doing this. The only real issue is that it is hard to align the images manually and if they are not aligned then the resulting image is OOF.

It is all really up to what you like and don't like, as I think much of photo editing is. I just thought people might be interested.

Egidio Leitao

I agree with you. When I first discovered HDR, I used to overdo my photos. That was something I didn't notice at the time, but now I see that in old photos I created. More and more I'm trying to create realistic-looking photos and yet showing vibrancy without being overdone. I sometimes find that merging bracketed images in Lightroom produces a softer HDR, which I like.

Michael Sonshine

I don't much use Lightroom so I have never tried their HDR functionality but I will give it a try and see how it goes.

I bought Aurora several years ago but found that the images looked way too overdone when I merged using it so I never updated to the latest version. I have use the PS HDR functionality and that is not too bad but I mostly use Nik for that. It is OK, but the merged images are still too overdone for my taste.

It would be nice if there was an auto align in L4. Perhaps I will submit a function request for that.

Egidio Leitao

Yes, auto-align would be nice indeed.  Now, whether Skylum will add that or not, it's another story. :) Lately I've been using LR a lot and only go to L4 after I've done all my edits in LR. In L4, I just do some other tweaks, primarily with the AI stuff, which is lacking in LR.

Like you, I don't like carrying my tripod when I travel. If I'm shooting around town and experimenting, then it's easy to bring the tripod along. I'm just an amateur hobbyist photo guy. :)

Kate Williams

Guys, we may have some good news for you regarding auto-alignment in Luminar 4. Stay tuned for future releases :) 

Michael Sonshine

> Guys, we may have some good news for you regarding auto-alignment in Luminar 4. Stay tuned for future releases

That would be great news.

L4 has gotten good enough that I have started to use it as a primary workflow tool instead of strictly as a plugin so I am anxiously awaiting the next release.

Egidio Leitao

I just hope these "future releases" will be updates to L4 and not a possible L5, meaning we'd have to pay for an existing feature improvement/correction.

Bdhi Gerop

More experimentation with this difficulty: An HDR photograph produced from a single uncooked with one of the skies accompanying L4 produced a halo along a few vertical edges to use online with new website.

Ivan Azure

Hi Bdhi!
    Could you send us the original photo and the screen recording of the process? Reach our representatives via support@skylum.com and we will provide you with the corresponding link.

Please sign in to leave a comment.