Things that need to be fixed in sky replacement

Comments

4 comments

• Official comment
    Elena Blum

Hi Mart,

Thanks for your interesting feedback and great suggestions. We are always glad to hear from our users, and we value your input.

I will forward it to our technical team, and they’ll be looking at how to best develop and apply this innovative solution in the near future. Thank you!

Comment actions Permalink
    C S

Have any of these suggestions been implemented in the latest version (4.3 as of today)?

Mart Williams

Not as far as I'm aware. It's frustrating, I mean, just how difficult would it have been for there to be an "off" option for relighting? All they'd have to do is just not allow the relighting routine to run.

No, what they have done is change the masking behaviour so that as soon as you try and erase part of the sky replacement effects, the whole image get's covered in a red mask so that you can no longer see where the offending colour casts you wanted to paint out are. It's another thoughtless implementation. Sure, some might like it that way and at times, I might too. But why take away the user control? Why do the Skylum software engineers think they know better how I want to edit my images than I do?

I wish they would actually listen.

C S

Hmm, that's unfortunate.  I've been waiting since v4 came out for these changes.  I guess I'll keep waiting until they are implemented because without these options L4 is too much of a drag on productivity.  Sure I could mask things again in PS to remove the relighting, but that would just take more time that I was supposed to be saving by using Luminar.  

However, the sky positioning request is a show stopper since it takes away all flexibility in sky placement.  I take 360 degree sky panos and being able to position them is absolutely required without a ton of trial and error cropping it before using in Luminar for a sky replacement.  This feature is in the Augmented Sky tool, so I'm not sure why it's not in AI sky replacement.  At this point it's probably waiting for version 5 which is just around the corner now.

What have I learned?  To never purchase software on the hope an improvement will be added.  Wait until it's already in the program and without any bugs before paying for the product.  

Please sign in to leave a comment.