Luminar 4 - Olympus RAW image quality

Answered

Comments

7 comments

• Official comment
    Kate Williams

Hi Laszlo,

Firstly, please note that the software has different technologies under-the-hood and, therefore, two applications cannot provide an identical effect. 

Luminar uses a pure RAW converter and does not apply any automatic adjustments. It shows more information than other photo processors and displays the photo how it was taken by your camera. 

Please ensure that Olympus workspace uses a pure RAW converter too and does not apply any automatic corrections right when the file is opened. 

If this is the case with Olympus workspace, please, send us the original file via https://skylum.com/support  - we're constantly improving the way our editing algorithms and the way the app renders RAWs, so this file will be useful for our tech team. 

Please use Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud, etc., to forward the photo. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    Laszlo Soti

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your answer. I am happy to send a raw file to you and I hope it will help to make much better raw algorithm in Luminar 4. 

I sent the link.

thanks

Laszlo

Fraser Hadden

I think that Kate's point is that Luminar works the way it does intentionally - no processing, so the user starts from ground zero.

Workspace has access to the camera's settings and applies the in-camera processing settings to the ORF image before displaying it. The user is thus starting from some way along the processing chain.

I too use Workspace and find it useful for rejecting images not worth processing, with the survivors of the cull then being processed in Luminar. Nice to come across another Olympus user!

Fraser

paul schmidt

I intend to buy Luminar 4 and searching for relevant posts I got this. Now I ask myself is the issue solved? I don´t see an answer after the one where the sample file was sent to the service :-(

I shoot raw most time and the new feature of having high res shots of 80 megapixel on my Olympus M1 Mark II is awesome! I´d really like to have a tool beside the native Olypus one to develop my pictures. So, if anybody can share experiences with me to this subject id be glad to hear about. Besides I am native german, so my english might be little lousy, sorry for that...

Thx in advance, Bilderpaul 

Laszlo Soti

I got a promise about this. They will improve the Olympus RAW process. Now, from jpg I get the best results. It is also true for Aurora. Unfortunately from jpg we can get much sharper results. I think these software use the same raw engine.

Javier Falcón

Hello Laszlo & others! :-) Another Olympus user here, it's nice to find you here. I also told Skylum pre-sale support about this exact symptom months ago. I really hope they improve their rendering, for me it's a real pitty and I am having to export it previously to tiff format from Olympus Workspace, thus not really processing in RAW and at the same time having to work with a ~90-100MB file. If then you happened to need adding a couple of layers you are dead with such mix!(at least with a modest 8GB RAM Windows 10 i7 laptop). In case it could be of any help, I am trying a trial of DXO Photolab 3 software and their rendering/processing/corrections is really good and produces in my opinion a level of quality very close to that of Olympus Workspace. I wish it were the same in Luminar(although Luminar is certainly very powerful at other respects).

paul schmidt

I really hope the improvement will come and many others of the Olympus fans I know would appreciate it too!!

Please sign in to leave a comment.