Luminar 4 sky replacements

Answered

Comments

16 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Everyone,

I will make sure forward your feedback to our developers. We will definitely consider changing that in the future.

Comment actions Permalink
    Per Grunditz

Unfortunately it is not possible to add skies to the drop down menu. The same goes for LUTs and textures. Hopefully Skylum will change this in a future version! Presently, you have to use the "Load Custom Sky Image…" feature found at the bottom of the drop down menu. Very annoying!

Roy Blackwell

For now this works for me on my Windows machine: 1) I moved the default sky images to my own sky images collection folder, 2) when I select Load Custom Sky Image I do not have to scroll to the bottom of the list, and 3) when I navigate to the folder where my sky images are located, I have a nice preview of them.

Maggi Marmion

Thanks Guys for your feedback!  

It is annoying ! :-(

In Windows the default location for the skies that are shipped with L4 is ...  

C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\profiles\SkyTextures

Assumably there will be a similar location for Mac.

Other skies can be copied to that location and will appear in the dropdown list however, as per the L4 default shipped skies, there's no preview.

Because of the lack of preview Roy's suggestion is probably the better solution.     

Chris Torrance

On a Mac, do the following:

1. Ensure Luminar 4  is NOT running

2. Open a Finder window and go to the Applications Folder

3. Right Click on Luminar 4 and select Show Package Contents

4. Double click on the Contents folder

5. Double click on the Frameworks folder

6. Double Click on the MPLuminar4Resources.framework folder

7. Double click on the Resources folder

8. Double click on the SkyTextures folder ***(You might want to back this folder up first, just in case)

9. Open a second Finder Window and navigate to your unzipped purchased new set of skies 

10.  Double click that folder to open it and then select all the contents )all your skies .jpeg files)

11. Right click and select Copy

12. Switch to the finder window that is open to the SkyTextures folder

13. Paste the copied files into that folder.

Now, when you launch Luminar 4 your newly purchase set of skies will appear in the drop down list.

I must say that having to do this is SILLY.  I guess I can see why they wouldn't want you to put your own skies into the same list (OK not really, but let's give em the benefit of the doubt), but Sky Packs that you purchase from them??

Brenda Fishbaugh

Just bought Luminar 4 and several skies packages with it from Luminar.  I can go to "Load custom sky image" and test them out on my photo and choose one and save it.  But only the last sky stays in the pulldown menu at the bottom, . Can I not add the Luminar skies and objects and nature libraries  into the pull down menu options?  I have to navigate to them every time?   And it looks like I have to navigate to my own skies every time, also? No way to add to the pulldown menu? Thanks for your help!  

Angela Andrieux

Hi Brenda,

At this time it isn't possible to save additional assets (skies, objects, etc.) in Luminar. Instead, I recommend choosing a location on your computer to keep all of your assets so they are easily accessible when you need them.

Chris Torrance

Hi Brenda,

I posted this earlier in the thread (about 4 months ago).  I just retested and it still works (these instructions are for Luminar 4 on a Mac, but there is another, earlier post in this thread for Windows.  While I haven't tested the windows method on the latest version of Luminar 4, I believe it should still work:

On a Mac, do the following:

1. Ensure Luminar 4  is NOT running

2. Open a Finder window and go to the Applications Folder

3. Right Click on Luminar 4 and select Show Package Contents

4. Double click on the Contents folder

5. Double click on the Frameworks folder

6. Double Click on the MPLuminar4Resources.framework folder

7. Double click on the Resources folder

8. Double click on the SkyTextures folder ***(You might want to back this folder up first, just in case)

9. Open a second Finder Window and navigate to your unzipped purchased new set of skies 

10.  Double click that folder to open it and then select all the contents )all your skies .jpeg files)

11. Right click and select Copy

12. Switch to the finder window that is open to the SkyTextures folder

13. Paste the copied files into that folder.

Now, when you launch Luminar 4 your newly purchase set of skies will appear in the drop down list.

For Windows:

(recopied here for convenience):

In Windows the default location for the skies that are shipped with L4 is ...  

C:\Program Files\Skylum\Luminar 4\profiles\SkyTextures

Assumably there will be a similar location for Mac.

Other skies can be copied to that location and will appear in the dropdown list however, as per the L4 default shipped skies, there's no preview." 

Chris Torrance

Brenda,

For an alternative Windows approach, see Roy Blackwell's post in this thread about 5 months ago.  Hope this helps (and I sincerely hope the Luminar team includes this functionality by default soon.  There doesn't seem to be any good reason why it isn't that way already).

Angela Andrieux

Hi Chris,

We do not recommend altering the package contents of our software. It can slow down the software considerably and any added files may be deleted when the next update is released. Altering the package contents also has the possibility of corrupting the software and making it unusable.

Chris Torrance

Hi Angela,

Understood. I appreciate that. However, the workarounds do indeed work and I have never observed a performance issue or a corruption issue.

In addition, and this is the larger point, the fact that this works, indicates that the underlying code already supports it, so why the decision not to automatically include purchased sky packs in the pull down?

Could you please kindly put that forward as a feature request?

Sincerely,
    Chris

Maggi Marmion

It was 5 months ago when I raised this issue si it would be good if they could add it in their next upgrade ? As we keep adding extra skies purchased from Skylum - it’s a real faff having to search our folders for adding skies !😊
    Many thanks

John Akridge

Hello.  I just purchased two sky packs.  I wasn't aware that they wouldn't download into Luminar.  On1 has the ability with their stuff and it's real seamless.  I feel like I wasted my money as it's difficult to go through the packs and load up each one without previews, etc.  This really needs to be fixed.

Kate Williams

Hi, 

We're in touch with our development team to escalate the priority of this task. As soon as we have any news, we'll let everyone know.

Maggi Marmion

Great! much appreciated 👍

Please sign in to leave a comment.