Comments

19 comments

• Official comment
    Helena Carter

Hi Mariet,

That’s a great suggestion. I could definitely see how you would want to have this feature. 

Right now, we don’t have anything like that in place. However, I will make sure to forward your feedback to our developers.

Comment actions Permalink
    Zoran Kanti-Paul

Do you mean a watermark? Or an actual Text editor?

You cannot edit text in Luminar, but you could create text in another program and then create a new IMAGE LAYER in Luminar, which opens up your computer folders and then you choose your text image. Layers can have blend modes etc. So it is best to use a black and white JPEG instead of a PNG. For a watermark, you then size the image correctly, position it as you want, change the blend mode to darken or lighten depending on what effect you want. And then BOOM, you have a watermark.

M.E. van den Bergh-Coumans

I mean text and not a watermark.

Zoran Kanti-Paul

Which I answered. The answer is no.

Michael Sonshine

I think this can only be done using a pixel editor.

I label all of the photos that I use for wallpaper with the date and location of the photo. I can not do this with any workflow tool I use, L4, CaptureOne, Lightroom or Dxo's Photolab and that is why I do it using Photoshop.

Simon Richards

HI adding a text layer would be incredibly useful. I assumed it had one, otherwise I don't think I would have bought it, to be honest. Do you have any idea if it is likely or not?

Michael Sonshine

I am only a regular user, not one of the staff at Skylum, so I have no real idea what they have on their roadmap for the future. You can always submit a suggestion for them to add it but otherwise I would not think it was high on their list of things to do. As I said I have only seen this functionality in pixel editors, not workflow tools.

But, as I said, I have no real idea of what they have planned so take my response with that understanding.

Lynne Pariseau

what about using Luminar as a plugin with PS or PSE?  open your photo in one of those, use Luminar as a filter, then apply it which will take you back to PS or PSE, then you can add your text layer??   haven't tried it - just a thought.

Kate Williams

Hi Simon, 

At this time, we have no immediate plans to implement this feature in Luminar 4. As my colleague has mentioned in the pinned post, this will be considered, but for now, we have no ETA or a definite plan to add it. 

The guys in this thread have provided you with several possible solutions: 

1. Either add the image that would contain text as a new image layer and then follow the workflow for a watermark:https://manual.skylum.com/4/en/topic/using-an-image-layer?q=watermark 

2. Use Luminar as a plugin for Photoshop, where this feature is available. 

3. Process the photo in Luminar, export it via File > Export and then reupload to any other software allowing you to add the text.

Michael Sonshine

This is all very easy if you are willing to use PS and I do this all the time to mark wallpaper photos with the date and place where they were taken.

1. Open the image in L4 and edit it as you wish,

2. Send it to PS via File -> Open In -> Photoshop,

3. Add the text layer and save it. If you want to edit it further just save it in the same folder location as it was in originally and reload it into L4.

You can do this as well using plugins if you have one that does text. For example Topaz Studio offers a text layer which is then returned to L4.

Lynne Pariseau

interesting -- I suggested the same thing as Michael and Kate - but got no comments - so I'm wondering if it went through?

Philippe CARON

C'est un manque énorme que cette absence d'outil texte qui ne réclame pas de gros moyens en AI ! ça condamne Luminar à être un addon et non un programme autonome. Dommage.
    Il y a beaucoup de "manques" ou d'outils imparfaits sans compter les plantages (même si pour ma part je n'ai jamais eu de problème d'installation, je suis un chanceux on dirait) et à force cela décourage beaucoup d'utilisateurs potentiels. Luminar fait beaucoup de publicités en ce moment pour attirer des clients. Ne serait il pas plus utile de mettre ces moyens au service du développement, ensuite le bouche à oreille pour un BON produit ferait tout seul la publicité..
    Les photographes ne sont pas des gogos à qui une belle publicité suffit, ils veulent un outil PERFORMANT surtout quand on vient de PHOTOSHOP.  C'est un conseil amical.

Michael Sonshine

Lynne Pariseau  Yes, although in the reverse direction.

Your post mentioned using L4 as a plugin for PS while I was posting about using L4 as the primary editing tool and using PS (or some other tool) as an external editor or, alternately, using some plugin like Topaz Studio from L4. For me L4 has become functional enough for me to start using it as a primary workflow tool with all other tools, including PS, only used as occasional add-ons.

Philippe CARON

Pour mon flux de travail, Luminar est encore loin d'être fonctionnel et se suffit à lui même, il a trop besoin de la béquille de PS ou d'un autre éditeur autonome. C'est un addon agréable pour s'amuser sur certaine a choisi. Il doit ecore beaucoup progresser et être complété.

Geoff Collinson

Ironically, some of us came to the Luminar stable to get away from PS - with the intention of finding a single piece of software that satisfies all requirements.

Michael Sonshine

Luminar would never be able to completely replace Photoshop for most PS users since the two tools are designed for different purposes. Luminar is a workflow tool while Photoshop is a pixel editor. However Luminar is able to replace some common PS usages such as most ACR adjustments and some layers work.

It would be nice if Luminar had the ability to add text to an image as that would save me the trouble to accessing PS but it is pretty far down the list of things I would like Skylum to add to Luminar. Personally I would rather see panorama and HDR functionality as well as layers alignment first.

John Robinson

As a Mac owner, I use Apple's free Photos as an organiser and 'Mark up' and Luminar as an extension. 'Mark up' enables you to add text to photos. 

Geoff Collinson

Why is there no facility, on this Forum, to flag spam /\ ?

Kate Williams

Hi Geoff, 

Good question!

The platform powering this Forum enables flagging posts/comments as Spam only for those who have admin rights. 

We're regularly monitoring our community forum and clean up the spam posts. The one you're referring to has been just removed. 

Besides, there's a built-in Spam filter that's constantly learning what spam posts should be declined / submitted for approval. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.